Thread: Best release agent

Basic Member

Best release agent

I am going to do a bedding job on one of my rifles. I bought the wheeler kit and there is release agent in the kit but I am wondering if there is a better product to use. I see a lot of people using kiwi shoe polish. Does kiwi work any better than the stuff in the kit? Do you just wipe it on with a rag?

I use https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...-prod1045.aspx

Yes it is pricy but it will do 100 stocks and it works it can get real expensive if you glue your stock to the action. It is the easiest product I have used and has never failed me. (Not I use steel bed almost for every rifle)

To be honest the biggest concern should be the Mechanical lock so Use tape and clay to keep that from happening.

Kiwi shoe polish works good. Make sure you tape the sides and front of recoil lug, tape around barrel to center bbl in channel appropriately and get some clay to dam up areas you don’t want bedding compound flowing into. A can of wd40 and Qtips to clean up should also be kept handy. I put a good layer of kiwi shoe polish over everything that might come into contact with bedding compound.

"The Best" is going to be a mold release wax (like they put in a mold before spraying gel-coat and then fiberglassing a boat hull).

Any good hard paste-wax will do. I use Collinite 845 Insulator Wax or Butcher's White Diamond Paste Bowling Alley Wax (my Father-in-Law was a cabinet maker and left a can of this). Make sure to let it dry before setting in the bedding. Also make sure to plug the holes and gaps with modeling clay or plumber's putty. If the bedding gets a surface to create a ledge you will have fastened the action in place.
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

Basic Member
    StumpKiller is right.
    Collinite 845 Insulator mold release wax is some good stuff!!

Team Savage
    Use kiwi and be done with it!!
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

Basic Member
    These are all good suggestions, and i haven't tried the m9ld release stump suggested, but pretty much everyrhing else from Kiwi (can't see it) to car wax to pam cooking spray and rubber crap that comes with Acra gel to a few others. Charles' recommendation, Acra release, is my favorite, bar none. Its easy spray on and you wont miss anything. Expensive.

Basic Member
    I use Kiwi Neutral Shoe Polish (it has wax in it) and it works great! Can't beat the price.

Basic Member
    I have always used Kiwi brown or neutral shoe polish. Works great !!! Yes put a fair amount on a rag
    and rub, smear on all parts that will come in contact with your metal parts.
    Last edited by Bunky-Shooter; 02-08-2018 at 07:19 AM. Reason: finish question asked !!

I use Johnson paste wax. Coat everything once and let it dry. I then add two more coats after that. Never had an action stick. I use gun cleaner to remove the wax when I’m finished. I use modeling clay to fill large areas I don’t want bedding compound. I put wax over the clay as well.

Basic Member
    All of them work.
    I use mold release spray because of 100% coverage into tighter areas and speed (time is money).
    On "rough" receivers like some milsurps, I do use a paste wax that will fill deeper machining imperfections or gouges that might be in the steel.

Another vote for Kiwi. I've been using the neutral Kiwi for 10 years now w/o any problems.

Team Savage
    Not sure about "best" but I used Kiwi brown shoe polish with a light touch of case lube spray when I bedded two Ruger 77's. Didn't have the slightest problem.

Brownells spray on release agent is good stuff, and it's the easiest to apply (obviously).

Acraglass bedding compound kit comes with a release agent and it works very well indeed (just read instructions and follow them !)

Basic Member
    I used shoe wax. worked well for me

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

old post
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Basic Member
    I have a 50 year old can of Johnson & Johnson paste wax works every time for me.