Thread: What Products Do You Use to Keep Your Firearm Looking and Working its Best?

Basic Member

What Products Do You Use to Keep Your Firearm Looking and Working its Best?

Not everyone is willing to go to these extremes to find out which product is best to use on our beloved firearms. Lubrication, water displacement, smell/odor, compatibility to finishes, corrosion prevention are all put to the test on a variety of products aimed at the sporting goods markets. Which one do you swear by, and how does it stack up against some other, perhaps less well marketed brands? The results may surprise you. It did me.

http://www.dayattherange.com/?page_id=3667
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Team Savage

Great read!

Very interesting.

I've been using B-C Barricade since it was Sheath - even for my flintlocks - for a rust deterrent (as a liquid - not the aerosol). Good to see it wasn't awful.

I may have to check out Frog Lube.
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

Basic Member
    Thanks for posting.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpkiller View Post
    I may have to check out Frog Lube.
    It is my favorite product though the odor is strong for a couple of hours.

Basic Member
    What? You don't like the fresh "minty" aroma of Frog Lube? It could almost double as a mouth wash
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Basic Member
    I keep it simple with my bolt guns. Rem oil or any other similar wipes, Frop Lube (I like the paste), and mostly clean the barrel with a bore snake now and again. Sometimes I will patch it if needed, but haven't had a reason to in most cases.

I go Garand style: white lithium grease on sliding surfaces and Mobil 1 motorcycle oil on turning pins. I'll also typically clean the bore with Mobil 1. For deep cleaning the bore, I'll go with KG1 and KG12

Basic Member
    Bores get boretech as needed. Lugs get a bit of Brian Enos slide glide, and all else gets a bit of weapon Shield or FP10.

Basic Member
    I just started using the frog lube paste about a month ago. The product was recommended by my gunshop. I have gotten to really like the product. I use it in combination with Hoppes #9 and they do a great job of cleaning the bore. Removes copper as well. I live in Hawaii where corrosion is a real problem. I have tried various waxes and oils/grease to help prevent corrosion. So far, frog lube is the best.