Thread: So, here's my plan.

So, here's my plan.

My plan is to take a barrel chambered in .308win, cut off enough of the chamber end to headspace 7.62x39.(a lot more detailed than that, but that's the reader digest version).
    I'm wanting to fire 7.62x39 surplus on the cheap and thinking commercial ammo will fireform to practically .30BR. I am not sure if the steel case ammo will fireform at all.
    Has anyone done this? And how did it work out? I'm not expecting spectacular accuracy from the surplus, just want to try this for some cheap plinking out of a bolt gun.
    For what it's worth, the rifle is a Stevens 200 that started life as a 30.06 and is currently a 6.5x55swede. I have read that the standard extractor may or may not work for the Russian case. I have a single shot adapter on hand, so I won't bother fighting with getting a magazine to feed(especially that short round in a long action).
    Anything I am missing? Or just a bad idea?

Welcome to the Barrel nut.
    Perpetual Optimism is a force Multiplier....

Thanks! I've been skulking around off and on for awhile

I wouldn't fire factory/surplus 7.62x39mm in it (especially the steel case). The bullet is 0.310" and the .308 bore will be 0.308"

It may work. But it may not. I have never heard of anyone fire-forming steel case ammo, either.
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

If you're talking about cutting back a factory 308 barrel, it ain't gonna work Skippy. On factory barrels the taper starts right where the threads end, so if you cut off say 1/2" from the breech to rechamber you'll have to extend the threads and the barrel won't be large enough diameter for them.

I thought someone was offering 7.62x39 prefits at one time. Eabco or PacNor maybe?

Getting it to feed/eject is another matter all together. Have fun with that!
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

When I was researching this idea I came across a website that was selling take off barrels actually rechambered for 7.62x39, they claimed there was just barely enough of the large diameter barrel to extend the barrel nut threads to be usable. I don't remember if they were sporter weight barrels though. You would have to cut more off the chamber end to be able to rechamber to the 7.62x39, than what I'm thinking of doing

Basic Member
    I found the same place, they are using rem 700 takeoffs.

I would not do it.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post
    If you're talking about cutting back a factory 308 barrel, it ain't gonna work Skippy. On factory barrels the taper starts right where the threads end, so if you cut off say 1/2" from the breech to rechamber you'll have to extend the threads and the barrel won't be large enough diameter for them.

I thought someone was offering 7.62x39 prefits at one time. Eabco or PacNor maybe?

Getting it to feed/eject is another matter all together. Have fun with that!
    I plan on running it as a single shot.
    You guys in the US have a much easier time getting prefits, life would be so easy if I could just order one up. But alas there is a line a few hours south of me that causes some issues with me spending money