Thread: Savage .308 VT range results and pics

Thumbs Up Savage .308 VT range results and pics

This is my Savage 11VT I recently bought from a friend. About 200 down the tube by the previous owner. I couldn't seem to find a nice walnut stock from Boyds, MicroFit, Richards etc that had a varmint barrel channel cut so I filled the forearm of the stock one with aluminum round bar for support and fiberglassed them in place. I then placed a piece of 1" steel round bar stock into the buttstock and glassed that in place for some weight. I then gave it a paint job starting with trunk paint for texture, then O.D. green and a final amature black camo pattern paint job I did with a brush, please excuse my lack of creative artistic skills. I added Warne rings and base, a Leupold 6-18 x 40 Target scope with tall turrets and a knock off Harris bipod I had in a parts box. The first 5 shots grouped well at about 5 o'clock and after 3 adjustments to the left and up 3 shots later it was in the X ring. I was out of ammo so I'll do another test tomorrow if the weather permits. For a starting load I used my M14 load of 40.2 grains of 4064, CCI primer, 168 grain Sierra MK HPBT in an LC case trimmed to size. After chambering the first few rounds it was a bit hard. I realized they were a bit longer than factory as my loads were setup for my M14 to just hit the lands. Anyways they worked great but I will do a bit more tweaking to get them in a dime size group at 100 yards. The first cloverleaf was OK but I know she will can better.
    I'm happy so far and realized how much I missed a scoped HP rifle.

Basic Member
    That’s pretty good! Stretch her to 800yds :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MRCHIRO View Post
    That’s pretty good! Stretch her to 800yds :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks,
    I'm going to Camp Blanding this year to shoot in one of the 600 yard prone matches, one with her , the other one with the M14.

Looks good. So I'm not understanding one thing tho. What stock is this action in? Looks factory but you said about having to do filling in the fore end

Quote Originally Posted by Anatoliy View Post
    Looks good. So I'm not understanding one thing tho. What stock is this action in? Looks factory but you said about having to do filling in the fore end
    It is the stock plastic one. I used a dremel to notch the walls in each compartment of the forearm and placed aluminum round stock the lenght of the forearm and covered it with fiber glass resin. I cut a piece of steel round bar stock from an F350 Ford trailing arm and inserted it in the buttstock with an aluminum brace I made to center it and then poured it with fiber glass resin. All resin was mixed with MEK in a smaller ratio ( standard is 10 drops to 1 oz. , I used 8 drops ) to create a slower rate of cure so the stock would not warp or lose any structural integrity. I did this same mod to an FP10 stock some years ago with excellent success. I figured why not try it again as I couldn't find a drop in walnut standard style stock for this action and the description of Varmint, heavy varmint, bull, weights of barrels was just too confusing the way the companies explained it.
    I still don't know what the barrel I have is called, but I do know it's not a standard and it has a recessed button crown and shoots good.

JOKER

Very nice! Your barrel would be a VARMINT CONTOUR. I'm sure you'll have tons of fun with it. Good shooting.

Basic Member
    Very Nice set up.

I had a Savage 11VT in the 308 and it was a great shooting rifle, worked up some very accurate loads for it