Thread: Why can’t I blue my barrel?

Why can’t I blue my barrel?

I’m new here but no stranger to Savage firearms. Having owned several different models. I recently purchased a 110 L in .264 that shoots great (pre 1968). #409xx. Bore sighted and looks great for its age. Only problem is the bluing has some spots that need “touch up”. When using Birchwood Super Blue it just doesn’t work at all. I used the right alcohol, washed then heated area and cotton balled the spots, let sit 30 mins rinsed and lightly oiled but it doesn’t do anything. Looking closely at the areas there is no rust but what looks like a stainless type finish piercing thru. Can that be why the cold blue doesn’t work? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Basic Member
    The barrel might be stainless steel. You might have to resort to another method like cerakote.

Never had any use for the Birchwood....my results were always like yours. Go with a better product IMO like Brownells Oxpho Blue.

If it's the factory original barrel it's chrome-moly steel. Really hard to say what the issue might be without being able to look at it first hand. Blood will remove bluing in short order which could be the cause of the spots, and I've heard mixed reports over the years regarding cold blue working on blood spots.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Thanks for the information. I might try the product suggested. I just can’t bring myself to send this rifle to any gun shop because it’s remarkably accurate with any load I put in it. I know the gun only had one owner and he claims to have only put 2-3 boxes of shells thru it. I’ve never had such a tack driver and don’t want it ruined by a lackluster gunsmith having a bad day. This gun outperforms 6.5’s, 7mm....Amazing!

Chrome molly steel is what it looks like under the blue. And thanks again for the advice but I don’t think the deer really care what the barrel looks like and neither should I. Keeping as is (lightly oiled of course). It will be one of my kids decision one day.

Basic Member
    It won't blue because it is most probably stainless. Some of the older magnum barrels were made from stainless steel and then iron plated to take blue.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Team Savage
    I've tried a lot of cold blue products on the older Savage chrome moly actions and barrels including the ones already mentioned. G96 Gun Blue Crème is the best one I've found. Two to three applications may be required to get the desired results.

If it’s CM steel rust blue it. Not a hard thing to do. Just takes some attention to detail and patience.

If you want it turn out better it takes multiple times of bluing. Polished out a barrel to chrome like finish, and then using the Oxpho-blue with a cotton ball rub the barrel down. Let it set for a few minutes and then wash off with water and rub with 0000 steel wool. This takes most of the blue off but polishes it. Repeat 10-15 times til you get the desired darkness. I have never seen much of a difference between heating the metal or just leaving it room temperature. When done give it a good oiling and you should be good to go.