Thread: Model 99 in .284 Winchester

Basic Member

Model 99 in .284 Winchester

I have an opportunity to purchase a model 99 in .284 Winchester caliber. I thought it to be an unusual caliber for the 99 and would appreciate any information folks would have on this caliber in a model 99.
    Thanks,
    Barney

Basic Member
    That's a very rare chambering, indeed!! It was only made from 1964-1972. The models made were the 99F, DL,DC,C,DE, and PE. The .284 is one of my favorites, it was a design ahead of it's time. The case capacity of an -06 in a .308 length!! The only restriction is the length of the magazine.
    My favorite rifle is a .284 I built on a Turkish 98 Mauser action. Since it's a small barrel shank, I turned the front ring down to small ring diameter. I chambered it long so I could seat the bullets to a full 3" OAL. Room for more powder since the bullet isn't taking up space in the case.
    The only problem will be finding brass/ammo, but it's out there.
    I'd jump all over it!!

Basic Member
    .284 introduced by Winchester for use with their Model 88 lever and Model 100 semi-auto, to compete with the (then very trendy) .270. Model 88s in .284 are very highly sought after, even though they require their own magazine which holds one fewer than the .243/.308. I'd buy it, too!

Basic Member
    Thanks for the information. The caliber seems to be more suited to a bolt gun, but, my first deer rifle was a 99 in 303 and I've always regretted selling it. I'm looking forward to this one.

99's in .284 are one of the more sought after ones as there just aren't as many out there as in say .300 Savage, 250 Savage and .308 Win. If it's in good condition and you can get it for under $1,100 I'd snatch it up.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Model24 View Post
    Model 88s in .284 are very highly sought after, even though they require their own magazine which holds one fewer than the .243/.308. I'd buy it, too!
    I've got a 99C in the same caliber and yes, they need their own mag stamped 284 as well, 308/243 standard 99C mags won't work.

How much did you grab the 284 for? What model is it?
    Savage- "never say never".

Basic Member
    I don't have the gun yet. In fact I still haven't even looked at it. A friend told me about it and we're trying to set up a time for me to see it. As I said I'm interested in it only because it is a Savage 99.

Basic Member
    I've got 3 99's in .284, and my primary hunting rifle is a 99F in .284. Try the Speer 145 grain BTSP bullets, which are ideally suited to the Savage length magazine. They are a very good hunting bullet that have killed bear and deer for me. If that doesn't ring your bell, try the 120 grain Nosler Ballistic tip. Anywhere in the $1000 range is typical, with some going for more.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fireball View Post
    I've got 3 99's in .284, and my primary hunting rifle is a 99F in .284. Try the Speer 145 grain BTSP bullets, which are ideally suited to the Savage length magazine. They are a very good hunting bullet that have killed bear and deer for me. If that doesn't ring your bell, try the 120 grain Nosler Ballistic tip. Anywhere in the $1000 range is typical, with some going for more.
    Thanks Fireball. I've had good success with Nosler Ballistic tips for deer. 140s in my 7mm-08 and 120s in my 260 Rem. Quite a difference from my first deer rifle a 303 Savage using 180gr. round nose.

Basic Member
    Fireball, do you have a favorite load for .284?

Basic Member
    I use the 145 grain Speer in my 7mm-08, excellent bullet!!

I load the 150 grain Nosler Partition in the .284 with 54.5 grains of IMR 4350, but that's for my Mauser with the long throat and bullets seated at 3" OAL.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Al1 View Post
    I use the 145 grain Speer in my 7mm-08, excellent bullet!!

I load the 150 grain Nosler Partition in the .284 with 54.5 grains of IMR 4350, but that's for my Mauser with the long throat and bullets seated at 3" OAL.
    Thank you. I appreciate your info.

G'Day,
    Was a beautiful SAVAGE 99 /.284 Win. at local gun show up here on Vancouver island..... stainless and engraved asking $3800 .Even in our ''funny monoply'' money, that's serious cash.

I have a 1971 win. model 88 in .284 win. fine powerful round....use for black bear up here...using 139 Hornady interlocks. 58gr. H-4831.
    have the original boxes of 125 and 150 gr. Winchester factory ammo that were purchased with the 88.
    2 rounds of 150 were used to dispatch a grizzly that wanted the original owners moose..... owner kept the moose.

factory ammo only produced by Winchester and its on small factory runs......years apart.

6.5 x .284 brass is available that can have necks resized to regular .284. Its not hard to find but it IS pricy......

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NOOTKA NICK View Post
    G'Day,
    Was a beautiful SAVAGE 99 /.284 Win. at local gun show up here on Vancouver island..... stainless and engraved asking $3800 .Even in our ''funny monoply'' money, that's serious cash.

I have a 1971 win. model 88 in .284 win. fine powerful round....use for black bear up here...using 139 Hornady interlocks. 58gr. H-4831.
    have the original boxes of 125 and 150 gr. Winchester factory ammo that were purchased with the 88.
    2 rounds of 150 were used to dispatch a grizzly that wanted the original owners moose..... owner kept the moose.

factory ammo only produced by Winchester and its on small factory runs......years apart.

6.5 x .284 brass is available that can have necks resized to regular .284. Its not hard to find but it IS pricy......
    Thank you NOOTKA NICK!

You are welcome,. As the other guys have said, a 99 in .284 win. is a lever gun that will Never loose its value.... even NRA =fair/good condition is worth $ 1000.
    If I was not over 70, I'd keep my win88 as a ''retirement investment BUT lever guns in .284 are made for shooting......... too many beautiful firearms become SAFE QUEENS .

Basic Member
    My load uses 4831 SC and the 145 gr SpeerBTSP I will refrain from posting the amount of powder but you can find what works for you. The bullet has the ideal shape for the short action Savage 99 284 and it's a great bullet.

Basic Member
    My load uses 4831 SC and the 145 gr SpeerBTSP I will refrain from posting the amount of powder but you can find what works for you. The bullet has the ideal shape for the short action Savage 99 284 and it's a great bullet.
    Thank you!

Basic Member
    Does anyone know the size and thread of the forend screw? I thought it might be 8-32 but that size doesn't seem right.

Basic Member
    The rifle currently has a one piece Leupold base with standard rings (med. height). The scope sits too far forward for me. I'm going to try Leupold Std. extended rings to move it farther back. I think Weaver bases and rings would allow me to move the scope even farther back, but when checking on Weaver bases I see a note that the screws must be shortened (by grinding) to work on the 99. Has anyone used the bases and shortened the screws? How do you "dress" the threads after grinding?
    Thanks,
    Barney
    Last edited by Barneyhunts; 04-20-2018 at 10:31 AM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by NOOTKA NICK View Post
    G'Day,
    Couldn't have been stainless - Savage never made them in stainless. Likely the bluing was just worn off from handling - aka a gray rat.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Could have been a DE or a PE Jim.
    Savage- "never say never".

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Barneyhunts View Post
    Thank you!
    Sorry for the tardy reply. I've just figured out that there's a page 2 to this string (D'oh!).

The forend screw is an 8-40. I bought an 8-40 x 3/4 Low Head Torx drive from Brownells, and trimmed a bit of length, and ground a bit of head diameter. If you're interested in doing the same, I have spares. PM a mailing address. Another approach is to replace the screw with a sling mount, but I'm not wild about putting funny side loads on the forend screw. I'm tussling with whether or not I even want to add a sling to mine.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Barneyhunts View Post
    The rifle currently has a one piece Leupold base with standard rings (med. height). The scope sits too far forward for me. I'm going to try Leupold Std. extended rings to move it farther back. I think Weaver bases and rings would allow me to move the scope even farther back, but when checking on Weaver bases I see a note that the screws must be shortened (by grinding) to work on the 99. Has anyone used the bases and shortened the screws? How do you "dress" the threads after grinding?
    Thanks,
    Barney
    I had the same issue with eye relief, even using Weaver mounts, and I fixed it with a longer eye relief scope. If I was supposed to shorten the screws, nobody told me, and I continue to live in happy ignorance. This is, however, on an old beater EG with a Bubba D&T.

Any time I need to shorten a screw, I find a matching nut, thread that on first, then grind/file/Dremel away. Removing the nut clears the last thread. A little gentle filing cleans it up the rest of the way.

Basic Member
    Sorry for the tardy reply. I've just figured out that there's a page 2 to this string (D'oh!).

The forend screw is an 8-40. I bought an 8-40 x 3/4 Low Head Torx drive from Brownells, and trimmed a bit of length, and ground a bit of head diameter. If you're interested in doing the same, I have spares. PM a mailing address. Another approach is to replace the screw with a sling mount, but I'm not wild about putting funny side loads on the forend screw. I'm tussling with whether or not I even want to add a sling to mine.
    THANKS! Model24 I bought a new screw from Numrich. I do appreciate your offer.

Basic Member
    I had the same issue with eye relief, even using Weaver mounts, and I fixed it with a longer eye relief scope. If I was supposed to shorten the screws, nobody told me, and I continue to live in happy ignorance. This is, however, on an old beater EG with a Bubba D&T.

Any time I need to shorten a screw, I find a matching nut, thread that on first, then grind/file/Dremel away. Removing the nut clears the last thread. A little gentle filing cleans it up the rest of the way.
    Thanks again for your input Model24.