Thread: New .243 rifle in hand... Need some load recommendations

Basic Member

New .243 rifle in hand... Need some load recommendations

I picked up a 11VT in .243 from Dick's last week... Fairly new to reloading (have done it successfully a few times, lol). I have the following bullets in on my bench right now. Got them all at a bargain.

80 gr GMX
    75 gr VMAX
    100 gr BTSP

Anyone used either of these with success? I want to run the VMAX's now to shoot some yotes, then maybe the 100's or something else for deer season. Thanks for any help.

All the info you need is on powder and bullet mfr. websites. Just print them off and put them in a 3 ring binder.
    "An armed society is a polite society"
    "...shall not be infringed" What's the confusion?

Basic Member
    Of course, was looking more for what has worked well for others... to possibly save some time and money. I know nothing is completely universal and every rifle is different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Varget is always very good and I use superformance for prairie dog loads. They are real fast.

87gr vmax with h414 is great on varmint or small game always shot good for me

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Good all around bullet for me has been 85 gr HPBT Gameking from Sierra. Use it for groundhogs and deer.
    "An armed society is a polite society"
    "...shall not be infringed" What's the confusion?

75 V-max, 47 to 47.5 gr H-4831sc

100 gr BTSP, 43 gr H-4831 / H-4831sc

Winchester brass, 210m primer

I never tried 80 gr GMX but 46.5 to 47 gr H-4831sc should also do the trick.

Basic Member
    Thanks zero333, what COAL were you running on those?

Basic Member
    I never bother with other people's loads because in rifles it is very rare that any two will shoot the same load the same way. What one shoots sub moa another might look like a shotgun down range. The easiest way (for me) to find a decent new load is this. First find a good bullet known to be accurate one. Don't waste time trying cheap bullets. I usually use the Hornady manual because it lists it's recipes from fastest powders to slowest. I usually start using a powder listed that I already have on hand but not always and load up 5 rounds to the book's listed C.O.A.L. starting from lowest end on up in .5 gr increments till I get to max. Take them out and shoot them at separate targets. One will always group better then the others. I then take that load and go down and up in .2 gr increments till it get either better or worse. Take the best group from that and play with seating depths to take it even further. May or may not work, but one thing for sure is it has always been a waste of time and expensive bullets for me is trying to load up what worked for another person for me. I've never had someone else's load shoot good in my rifles. Normally a load tailored to your rifle won't even match a good factory load in mine.

Basic Member
    The 87 grain V-Max is a very good choice for your 9 1/4 twist barrel, excellent B.C. and good stopping power for anything from deer to varmints. I worked up a load for my model 11 that would put the first two shots into overlapping holes at 200 yds. Can't ask for more than that from a hunting rifle. My son took his first deer at 220 yds with this load Christmas before last. It was a very nice buck that took two steps and collapsed. He put that V-Max right in the ticker. Wish I could shoot that good!
    43.5 gns of IMR-4831, CCI-200, Winchester brass, 87 V-Max seated to 2.260 CBTO (.020 jump to the lands), Start low and work up. You're distance to lands will of course be different, so do your homework, read your manuals, buy good measuring equipment and don't be afraid to ask questions. Like the guy from Allstate says, "we're here to help".
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Quote Originally Posted by NCHuntr View Post
    Thanks zero333, what COAL were you running on those?

2.600" with the 75 gr V-max

2.710" with the 100 btsp

Last weekend tried a load with 80 gr Berger FB Varmint and 47gr H-4831sc was phenomenal. Loaded them at 2.76" but that coal was in the lands. In the lands is not ideal most of the time. Some barrels are ok with, while other barrels tend to spike in pressure when loading bullets in the lands. You just have to learn the barrel. But for a field rifle you never want to load in the lands.

Basic Member
    I have 2 of the 11VT in 243. I'm using 105 amax in mine with a near max load hybrid 100v. I mostly do target shooting. Have ran to 800yds, runs pretty flat with 5.2 mil elevation adjustment. My loads are running at 2980. Getting hard to find the 105 amax but still have around 1900 of them so they'll last me awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by 243LPR View Post
    Good all around bullet for me has been 85 gr HPBT Gameking from Sierra. Use it for groundhogs and deer.
    Totally agree on this bullet. I load these for my son and it drops deer like a bad habit.
    IMR 4350 has been solid with 100gr Hdy’s on paper

Basic Member
    Mine shoots nosler 95 gr ballistic tips 5/8 group @ 100. Burning IMR 4350

Quote Originally Posted by 243LPR View Post
    I have loaded these with IMR 4064 for a couple dozen 243s over 50 years and have not been disappointed with any of them. 95% of the hits are dropped write there.

The 75vmax and target is a good combo for me. And 95sst's with h4895 is hard to beet for accuracy and terminal ballistics at a good price. Just throughing my two cents in.

VarGet ^

4064 or 4350... either of those powders is a good start. CCI primers, whatever brass floats your boat. If you’re going to use a boat tail bullet proceed to max loads with caution! Think someone already mentioned starting with a minimum load and working up. Find your seating depth to determine your coal, and go from there.