I put a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 BDC AO on my .223 Rem and the same on my .260 Rem. The BDC is not a perfect solution, but it works. Nikon has the Spot-On calculator that gives you the "cheats" for your specific load or ballistics and I glue those figures inside the cover of my Butler Creek ocular cover.

With the .260 Rem and 143 gr ELD-X at 2680 fps mv 619 yards is the tip of the thicker post below the fine crosshairs, 507 yards is center of the lowest ring of four. Wind drift in a 10 mph crosswind is 14" (also on the little cheat paper) at that 507. My property (mostly wooded) is only 2,480 ft deep and I can only get a target so far out the powerline that crosses diagonally in the back. ;-) I can also use the BDC as a rangefinder. A lot of times here in the woods of NY the whitetail deer will be first and last seen in two or three seconds. Not a lot of time. There are happy exceptions where a relaxed deer gives you the chance to set up; but don't count on it. I've taken 47 whitetail and 1 fallow deer and the furthest was 120 yards. The average is about 40 yards.

Woodchucks - as far as you care to try. Coyote - those are my longer shots on that powerline clear-cut, and a nice 250 yard shot out my kitchen to the back corner of our sheep pasture.