Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scope suggestions

Basic Member

Scope suggestions

I am looking at the Vortex Viper 6.5 to 20 50mm for my Savage 110 30-06. General deer rifle but also a coyote hunter? Anyone offer likes or dislikes?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Its a good scope.

Basic Member
    Aside from the scope itself, i personally think it's a large scope for an 06.

How are you shooting? Are they quick pokes? From a stand? Out a pickup window? Just from your initial post I would want something that starts at the 3x range without AO

What distances? What conditions (dense woods, open fields, still-hunting or blind/deer house)? I seldom stretch past 300 yards on coyotes or chucks and deer usually are well inside 200 yards. We can't hunt past sunset and the deer just don't tend to stand out in the middle of fields in daylight hereabouts. A 3-9x40 is plenty while still keeping the (unloaded) all up weight to 7-1/2 lbs. And one that gathers good light in the first golden 20 minutes after sunrise to the last 20 minutes before sunset (Our game wardens have solar charts and stopwatches). Sunset at 4:45:27 PM you don't want to shoot at 4:45:28 PM. Point being - light gathering can be more important than outright magnification. Especially on the overcast days when you didn't see the sun all day, anyway.

Carrying an extra pound may mean your rifle is slung when that once-in-a-lifetime buck hops up an offers you a 30 yard running shot where a carried 3X scope will do it better than a slung 6.5X. My eight-point whitetail last November was 12 paces and a blurry 4X scope setting. I was sitting under a white pine tree and he came up (silently) over my right shoulder and I had to sit motionless until he slowly walked and closed the 80 yards and finally put a tree between us - then it was up and shoot as soon as the hairs lined up. Less than two seconds and I fired just as his chest cleared the blocking tree. Horrible angle - for my twisted back to get the rifle around to my right side. Another point - long range of eye relief for the odd positions and angles you often get in the field.

In my muddy/snowy/rainy fall woods of NY I fire without a rest 50% of the time, and when I do get support it is usually from the trunk of a tree beside me. 20X would be useless to me.

Coyotes & varmints - whole nuther story.
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

Optimal 9 power max for most '06 hunting rifles. Good glass goes a long way. Viper glass is not "Good Glass"

Basic Member
    So this is not a good scope?
    I hunt field and with a rest. Deer hunt with a bow 90 % of the time. Coyote hunting more and more.. i had an old bushnell that dryed up and will not work. I want to shoot longer distances and have a range and friend that shoots 300 yards.
    I do not think at 6.5 is bad.
    Why is the glass not good?
    Vortex glass from me looking at about 20 scopes from burris and leopold is better then the nikon. I have a burris 4 to 12. Maybe put that on my 06 and but the strick eagle for my ar.?

The term "good glass" is highly subjective. Good compared to what? Some around here just have a chip on their shoulder when it comes to Vortex.

I've had a Viper 6.5-20x44 for probably 7-8 years now and haven't had any issues with it. It's been on a number of different rifles in that time, and currently resides on my Browning T-Bolt 22LR. I have no problem seeing my bullet holes at 200 yards with it so I consider the glass sufficient. Is it the best scope out there? Surely not. Is it a good scope that offers a lot for the money? I'd say yes.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    I would agree on the so called good glass, bad glass, we hear talked about so much.
    For the most part i think the glass part is somewhat over stated, and that most scopes are actually pretty good in that area.
    Anyway you just cant pick up any optic and evaluate it by simply looking thru it once, then make a general statement about it.
    Side by side on the same day at the same time looking at the same things, is the only way for a fair comparision.
    And fact is that on a good day they all look pretty good, and on a really bad day none are any good.

Basic Member
    I have found a viper 4x16 44mm that I really like. I have a friend that shoot f class and he suggested that the 6.5x20 might be a little to much just for deer hunting. I like this Viper. I have not had any issues with Vortex and called them to talk about scopes. Very helpful. I am very happy with my Burris. I will get the Viper 4x16. I will not need another scope. Unless i buy another rifle. Thanks for the help
    I am not shooting 500 to 1000 yards. 300 might be my max comfort level.

The thing with higher starting powers, its hard to find the animal in the scope quick at the low setting. Look at the field of view specs on each. I think you will be much happier with a 4 vs the 6.5.

Team Savage

Quote Originally Posted by teredpse View Post
    I have found a viper 4x16 44mm that I really like. I have a friend that shoot f class and he suggested that the 6.5x20 might be a little to much just for deer hunting. I like this Viper. I have not had any issues with Vortex and called them to talk about scopes. Very helpful. I am very happy with my Burris. I will get the Viper 4x16. I will not need another scope. Unless i buy another rifle. Thanks for the help
    I am not shooting 500 to 1000 yards. 300 might be my max comfort level.

I have a 4 - 16 x 44 Viper HSLR on my 12FV and am quite happy with it.

Basic Member
    Okay have scope.ordered. any help on rings.

Warne

https://warnescopemounts.com/

(Available at Midway, etc.)

Basic Member
    Rings I have bought. And base.
    Scooe ordered. Thanks all

Good stuff. Those are the very rings I have.

Basic Member
    For scope rings on bolt guns, I'll break my choices down for 3 categories. Cheap, Mid-range, high-end:
    For cheap I have used the Weaver Tactical rings. They are fairly light weight and will get the job done for an entry level precision rifle. Cost is roughly $32 on SWFA
    For slightly higher end, I would get the Nightforce rings. These run around $70 on Midway
    For higher end rings, I've used the Vortex Precision rings. These are made by seekins. When I purchased them, they were around $130.
    The best rings that I have seen are the ARC M10 rings. The huge advantage these rings have when mounting a scope is that they dont' cause your scope to move when torquing down the scope ring screws. Every scope ring that I have mentioned so far, I have had to meticulously torque the screws on one side, then move to the other, being careful ensure that the scope stays level. The M10 rings have 1 screw that doesn't exert force on the scope so as to cause the scope to rotate in the rings. However, these rings cost $180.

All prices are for scopes with standard 30mm scope tube diameters. Prices will usually go up if you're running a 34mm and up scope tube.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Basic Member
    Good mount, but I wouldn't touch vertically split rings with a 10 foot pole.

https://forum.snipershide.com/thread...rings.6539103/

Basic Member
    So why would you not use vertical rings?
    I have read so much and everyone has something they do not like. If they did not work for you then okay. I will use them have read some good articles on them over the standard rings.
    To each thier own.

Basic Member
    I posted a link under my statement above.

I can't get the link to work for me.

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ktmracer358 View Post
    I can't get the link to work for me.

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk
    Did not work for me.1

Follow the instructions that comes with the Warne rings. There is a proper way to install them and a prescribed torque and sequence.

And, by default, if there is a proper way there most likely are one or more improper ways. The link above was to folks having issues with ARs (and as many who were not - did you read the whole thing?). Probably the rings are stronger than the bases and deformed them. ;-) I like steel bases and rings, but I freely admit I do not shoot past 500 yards and do not mechanically adjust windage or elevation once I am zeroed for that load. So I am only using a few MOA in any direction for my scope. I guess the guys shooting out to 2,500m don't care for them.

I also don't swap scopes around and once in place I leave them in place. I found the Warne Fixed rings to be rugged and a clean install for my hunting rifle. Hopefully Teredpse will have the same luck I have.

Basic Member
    Look I may never shoot past 500 yards. The range i can shoot 300 is with a friend. And yes several members are F class shooters.

I might and would not shoot a deer at 250 yards. I want to shoot 300 at the range and compete with him. My range max is 150.
    I like the base its solid and torque is correct. Qhen I get the rings on with the scope mounted I will follow the requirement from the manufacturer.
    Everyone has an opion? Lets all play well in the sand. I was looking for suggestions on good or bad.
    If you do not like them fine.

Basic Member
    500 is a good poke, and without doing any checking, even a 7 rem mag, or 300 win, would probably require 8 or 9 minits of correction, depending on load, from a 100 yd zero. Actually at that distance there isn't much difference in many of them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast