Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Scope suggestions

I put a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 BDC AO on my .223 Rem and the same on my .260 Rem. The BDC is not a perfect solution, but it works. Nikon has the Spot-On calculator that gives you the "cheats" for your specific load or ballistics and I glue those figures inside the cover of my Butler Creek ocular cover.

With the .260 Rem and 143 gr ELD-X at 2680 fps mv 619 yards is the tip of the thicker post below the fine crosshairs, 507 yards is center of the lowest ring of four. Wind drift in a 10 mph crosswind is 14" (also on the little cheat paper) at that 507. My property (mostly wooded) is only 2,480 ft deep and I can only get a target so far out the powerline that crosses diagonally in the back. ;-) I can also use the BDC as a rangefinder. A lot of times here in the woods of NY the whitetail deer will be first and last seen in two or three seconds. Not a lot of time. There are happy exceptions where a relaxed deer gives you the chance to set up; but don't count on it. I've taken 47 whitetail and 1 fallow deer and the furthest was 120 yards. The average is about 40 yards.

Woodchucks - as far as you care to try. Coyote - those are my longer shots on that powerline clear-cut, and a nice 250 yard shot out my kitchen to the back corner of our sheep pasture.
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

Here's an image of my "cheater" card on the lens cover (in yards).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1966.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	73.1 KB 
ID:	4544

And here's a flash image of the Tenebraex anti-glint on the objective . . . obviously doing it's job (equivalent to a 7" sun shade). I feel so tactical. ;-)

Name:	DSCN1967.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	137.8 KB 
ID:	4545

Basic Member
    I like that. Great idea.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

And while I'm at it - those bad 'ol Warne Fixed vertical split rings.

Name:	DSCN1968.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	152.5 KB 
ID:	4546

Basic Member
    Whatever works, works, and obviously your system is working for you with your situation.
    But, for sure it took considerable time and ammo to get it all worked out.
    I still have and still use a custom multi dot reticle system in several Leupold scopes, that were programed for a specific bullet/load.
    They were installed by Premier Reticles back when they were doing that type work with Leupold scopes.
    There were no target knobs available, and this was and still is a good option, to a point.
    My reticles allow for dead on holds out to 1000 yds, and you can bracket between the dots for in between distances, which is what you are doing also. With that reticle in a 3.5x10 VX3 on a 7x300 wby, i was able to make a first round hit at 700 yds on my only PA bear.
    Was any luck involved? Yep, lots of it, but fact still is i got the bear, and sometimes being lucky trumps being good.
    However, good as using the reticle is, it isn't as good as dialing the scope, especially when the bullet starts running low on fuel. (velocity)
    Admittedly, using a reticle is quicker than dialing, and when hunting that can be helpful, but best be very familiar with using it for it to work well.

Basic Member
    Get a scope you like and then take all opinions you read about on gun forums with a grain of salt. It's like asking for a good quality AR15 on The AK Files site. Bad move....

As far as Viper glass, I personally like it. I have a Viper PST 1-4x24 on my AR and a 4-16x44 on my Savage 111. I have NF guys say "Can't you see the fisheye on that scope of yours?" and I just say truthfully "No, I don't". Then I truthfully say "Yours doesn't seem and clearer than mine." Then I just duck, dodge and run... and count my $2,000 I saved on my crappy glass...

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpkiller View Post
    Follow the instructions that comes with the Warne rings. There is a proper way to install them and a prescribed torque and sequence.

And, by default, if there is a proper way there most likely are one or more improper ways. The link above was to folks having issues with ARs (and as many who were not - did you read the whole thing?). Probably the rings are stronger than the bases and deformed them. ;-) I like steel bases and rings, but I freely admit I do not shoot past 500 yards and do not mechanically adjust windage or elevation once I am zeroed for that load. So I am only using a few MOA in any direction for my scope. I guess the guys shooting out to 2,500m don't care for them.

I also don't swap scopes around and once in place I leave them in place. I found the Warne Fixed rings to be rugged and a clean install for my hunting rifle. Hopefully Teredpse will have the same luck I have.
    The guy that posted the issues teaches a long range shooting class. He states in the thread that a large portion of people that take his class that have vertical split rings have more error when dialing the scope and more broken scopes.

It is a common problem for people that dial drop and windage that use vertical split rings.

He states that the manufacturer he speaks with calls them "junk AR rings" as a derogatory term, it has nothing to do with scopes on AR's. Context means a lot.

If you don't dial, they are probably fine to use. I dial and expect my scope to perform perfectly, and that is an issue I want to avoid.

Basic Member
    For those that can't open the link. Google " vertical split rings snipershide" It is the very first result.

Basic Member
    Some say Vortex glass is not "good" glass. I say since Vortex is kind enough to sell their scopes to veterans at a 40% discount their glass is plenty good enough for me. That allows me to buy a $1,000.00 scope for $600 + $10 shipping.

I used every model of warn rings and was happy. I really like the QD rings. I now have ARC10's and Spuhr.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12