Thread: Question about mods

Question about mods

New to this forum, hello. I got tired of mindlessly looking on the net and decided to try a forum. My son is in 4-H shooting sports and was shooting prone. I decided to purchase a Savage Arms target rifle last year and it work great. This year though he is in three position, prone, kneeling and standing. My problem is I didn’t I didn’t plan for a palm rest so soon. I was wondering if there were any suggestions. Thanks, Jason

What model of rifle are we talking about here? Which stock does it have? If it's wood and wide enough, any decent gunsmith should be able to put an Anschutz-style accessory rail in the fore-end to accommodate a hand stop.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Welcome to the Barrel Nut....
    Perpetual Optimism is a force Multiplier....

Basic Member
    I don't believe he is referring to a hand stop on the forend, but rather a device to help support the gun while shooting offhand, (standing).
    Tell him to try supporting the gun with his extended thumb and fingers just in front of the trigger guard.
    Or you might try epoxying a nut into the stock, and utilize a pc of all thread with a tennis ball shape knob on the end.
    A large old type gearshift knob would work also.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason79072 View Post
    New to this forum, hello. I got tired of mindlessly looking on the net and decided to try a forum. My son is in 4-H shooting sports and was shooting prone. I decided to purchase a Savage Arms target rifle last year and it work great. This year though he is in three position, prone, kneeling and standing. My problem is I didn’t I didn’t plan for a palm rest so soon. I was wondering if there were any suggestions. Thanks, Jason

Sry, it’s a Savage Mark II bolt action .22LR with a stock, stock, and I need help with the forearm palm rest, like one of these http://www.champchoice.com/store/Mai...ons&item=CC40U

Thanks for the suggestions

Basic Member
    Back in the day, like very early/mid 50s we were very involved with indoor smallbore.
    We meaning my father, older brother, myself and a younger sister.
    We shot 4 position, prone, sitting, kneeling and offhand, in what was then the Philadelphia marksmans league.
    The team we shot for was the Conestoga Rifle Club in Southampton Bucks Co PA.
    Back then the 52 Winchester was the most popular gun by far.
    That was just before the Anshutz days, but a good 52 Win could still do very well in my opinion.
    Palm rests weren't permitted in the league, so the gun was supported with just your hand, and a sling if you preferred while shooting offhand.
    Smallbore was very popular then, both indoors and out, with quite a few regional type matches.
    Frank Hoppe, of Hoppes solvent was a regular league shooter on one of the teams.
    Also Olympic shooter Arthur Cook, was from that area and was seen regularly at matches.
    I had the pleasure of watching thru a spotter as he and a young U of MD shooter by name of Roy Oster had a friendly bet on who would clean all 4 positions, and they both did.
    I was regularly assigned to be a spotter, which was to assure sighter shots weren't taken at the wrong targets from the prone position. lol
    Oster, was eventually convinced to shoot for the Conestoga team.
    My younger sister was a natural for that type shooting, and soon was by far the best shooter in the family.
    To the point that it became embarrassing for her brothers, lol.
    Within about 2 years, she became the national junior girls champ shooting an iorn sighted 52 Win at a match held in Harrisburg.