Thread: Axis 308 build v1

Axis 308 build v1

Howdy all , I been bouncing around the inter webs researching the axis line and ended up here. Swapped a beat up Glock for a 308 and the project begins. First thing first I opened the barrel channel, centered the action in the cheap stock and torqued it down. Second I rattle can camo jobbed it and reduced the trigger spring weight. Then re profiled the cocking ramp to smooth the bolt lift some.

I originally wanted to do a 243 but happened upon the 308. I’m contemplating getting a barrel more suited to lighter 308 maybe a 1 in 11 1/2 ??! I don’t really need extreme long range performance in fact over penetration could be a concern. I’m open to experimenting with the 308 instead of getting a 243 barrel. 155’s do ok in the factory tapered barrel but it seems to prefer 168’s . Haven’t tried any 125’s but assume they’ll suck in the 1 in 10.

Looks like I can have any stock I want for it as long as it’s a Boyd’s ... not a fan of the chassis look so boyds it is.. prolly get a pro varmint or at one. I haven’t killed anything with it yet but have no problems stacking bullets in the 100 yard. Realistically I’m seeing a 3-500 yard critter hitter . Not really going to try to kill anything beyond that range.. except for pigs, I hate pigs!!

Anyways I’ll use this post to track the build, open to any and all suggestions , and will get pics up soon!

Polished the tool marks out of the channel to take the dirt feel out, and slightly rounded the ramp which seemed to do the trick in easing the initial lift. It didn’t make it butter however it was a noticeable difference.

Basic Member
    I did the same thing. I also polish the ends of the spring.

Both or just the little one? I hit the small spring only cause it looked like it was dragged behind a bus !

i didn’t take any off just slicked it up.. too much pressure in a 308 to lighten those springs :D

Basic Member
    Careful with the bolt body. It is case-hardened and the underlying steel is too soft.

Roger that! Thanks.. I didn’t take hardly any off the bolt, just used 1500 sand paper , drop of oil and elbow grease. I did use a fine jeweler file to knock the ridge off the ramp. I can lift it with a open hand but it’s still a savage !

Better view of the ramp.

Got to tinkering with the stock today , been noticing my zero shift and sure enough the stock had flexed back into the barrel. Talked to a old gun slinger buddy and was informed that back in the old days, skinny barrels performed better with a little dampening force in the front. Was advised to shim the stock, Eyeballing my old enfield that was put together by a competent gunsmith (most likely before I was born) and there’s shims in the front of the stock (factory cut stock). So I tried my hand at cutting some sheet metal and formed it around the barrel at the fore-end .. right now it’s just held in place with pressure, it def firmed the stock wiggle, and should theoretically,apply slight upward dampening force. Will try and see! :) (if it helps I may bed the action and the tip and keep the stock to buy more ammo !

Zero is holding steady so far! I’ll check it again tomorrow and maybe Saturday before I bed it.. Thinking I’ll try 8 pounds of tension first.. (Wind 3-7 mph out of 3 o’clock today, I tried to send it between the gusts but it caught me )

Basic Member
    Looks good.

Got a little range time in today, ran some cheap surplus which did surprisingly well(145gr monarch) and even did some bipod shooting. Sprang a leak in the stock so decided to fix that , guy at hardware store said use the white junk lol

should balance better and chew up some recoil also.

I’m going to jb weld the shim and add some platform to bed the barrel in, time will tell :)

Got the shim and floated a layer of jb on the top. put it together with just the back screw and used a milk jug of water for my 8 #s, propped the barrel and butt and then suspended the jug from the front sling swivel until it dried.

touched up with some green rattle can .

Reassembled

overall I’m satisfied with the results ! The extra weight in the butt helps to balance it with the bipod, and the tension really seemed to help the consistency. Once it all cures I’ll test further

Basic Member
    Thanks for posting.

Hope it helps anyone thinking of going the cheap route ! This about concludes v1 , have about 50 bucks invested and it throws 1/4” @ 100 groups with cheap ammo! I’ll be looking at barrels and stock down the road but it’s in hunting condition now.

Had some fun with it today

this was at 100 yards, the flyer was a 150gr core lokt, sent it first to clear a twig, it already started expanding when it hit the target. The other two were 145 gr fmj commie stock.

Not bad for a cheap Wal-Mart gun and some tinkering