Thread: Savage model 99 .300sav rear sight

Post Savage model 99 .300sav rear sight

Hello, new member just recently retired. I have a Savage model 99 .300sav that I just acquired from a friend. I have a few questions that maybe experienced model 99 collectors might be able to answer. The serial number is #245897 and when checked says it was manufactured in 1923. The gun is fair to good shape I guess, I am not experienced at grading a gun. The bluing is mostly faded and missing the rear sight. It has a 4X power old Weaver scope on it and I would like to bring it back to original specs by removing the scope and putting a rear sight on it but don't know what the original rear sight would be for it. It does have a dovetail slot on the barrel. My questions are: 1. What is the original rear sight for the gun?
    2. I was thinking of getting it restored ie; reblued and wood restored but not sure what this would do to its value? Would this be sacrilegious to a savage collector and should I just let it be as is and just replace the rear sight? The gun has matching serial numbers for metal and wood.
    Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Here is a link that shows the rear sight (original out of stock but they have a modern replacement as well). Reblued would kill most collector value. But as a shooter it has value as well. Personally, I'd put a sight on it. A collector could drift it out if it bothered them.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-man.../99-sav?page=6
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

Moved this down to the vintage centerfire board where those who might have an answer to your question are more likely to see it.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    If it's been drilled and tapped for a scope the collector value is already gone. But, if it's got a Stith mount, that's different story.

The Stith mount attaches to the rear tang screw holes, and the front of the mount to the rear sight dovetail so it does not have to be D&T'd. The mounts are very rare and can be worth up to $350. If that's the case, I'd leave it as is!

Basic Member
    they made #12 leaf sight, #13 express sight,#14 rocky mountain buckhorn, #21b savage micrometer sight(hand screws), #21s savage micrometer sight(set screws), #14b spirit level.

Personally, a micrometer peep to fit the Savage receiver tapped holes would be the way to go.

That, or just keep the scope in place if it is a good scope. I have an "old Weaver" K4 scope on my deer slug gun and it is a good bit of glass.
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik