Hello, new member just recently retired. I have a Savage model 99 .300sav that I just acquired from a friend. I have a few questions that maybe experienced model 99 collectors might be able to answer. The serial number is #245897 and when checked says it was manufactured in 1923. The gun is fair to good shape I guess, I am not experienced at grading a gun. The bluing is mostly faded and missing the rear sight. It has a 4X power old Weaver scope on it and I would like to bring it back to original specs by removing the scope and putting a rear sight on it but don't know what the original rear sight would be for it. It does have a dovetail slot on the barrel. My questions are: 1. What is the original rear sight for the gun?
2. I was thinking of getting it restored ie; reblued and wood restored but not sure what this would do to its value? Would this be sacrilegious to a savage collector and should I just let it be as is and just replace the rear sight? The gun has matching serial numbers for metal and wood.
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.