Thread: I'm A Dunce!

ultramag44

I'm A Dunce!

Yeah, okay, so I was @ the range and saw I needed a set of + / - .005 inserts for Burris Signature Zee rings to so I could get a 100 yard zero on a rifle w/o moving the elevation turret from center. I needed to raise the back of the scope.

I check the compartmented box where I keep all my inserts. You guessed it, + / - .010 inserts, + / - .020 inserts, lots of 0/0 inserts, but no + / - .005 inserts! :-[

Then it comes to me. Wait-a-hold-it!

Since I have seperate Weaver bases, and Burris Signature Zee rings, I can leave the 0 / 0 inserts in the back ring. All I have to do is put a piece of soft-drink can under the rear base. Soft-drink can aluminum is .004 thick. That's close enough to the .005 I need! 8)

The inserts in Burris Signature Zee rings will pivot to point the scope where I want it. :)

Note: This trick will only work with seperate bases, and only if you need to raise one end of the scope or another! Also, you need to loosen the top of the ring clamps so the scope can pivot as the base cross-screws are tightened.

Woot! Maybe, just maybe, I'm not such a dunce after all! ;D

Basic Member

Re: I'm A Dunce!

Ok, I guess I will be the dunce now. All my scopes have adjustable elevation so I don't have to use soda can shims to get a 100yd zero. Not quite following the logic here? Not trying to be negative, just don't understand why you wouldn't just adjust the elevation and reset your turret to zero?

Basic Member

2 reasons

01) He wants to reserve his elevation for long range shooting

02) Scopes are happiest mechanically when they are used with the W & E adjustments in the approximate center of their range

ultramag44

Smokey262 said it right!

Thanks for covering my back bro! :)

Basic Member

So scopes don't work as well when they are farther away from their "center"? That is some thing I have never heard. I guess you learn some thing new every day. Thanks!

ultramag44

The very best optics in a scope are dead center in the lens. That's why the old, long, target scopes had external adjustments. The shooter always looked through the center of the scope.

[img width=600 height=400]http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q228/ultramag44/EDUnertl.jpg[/img]

[img width=600 height=400]http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q228/ultramag44/ECSTSScope.jpg[/img]

Pete K.

UltraMag,

Is that a Winchester Model 75T in your pictures?

Pete...

Basic Member

WOW, I have never seen a scope like that either! Crazy!

I did some searching and read about why you did what you did. Thanks for the info! I had never given it any thought. I suppose what really makes the difference is the distance you are shooting and the internal adj of each scope?

ultramag44

Quote Originally Posted by Pete K.

UltraMag,

Is that a Winchester Model 75T in your pictures?

Pete...
    Hi Pete,

Actually, the top one is a Winchester 52D w/ Unertl 24X scope.

The bottom one is a Winchester 52C w/ Lyman Super TargetSpot 20X scope.

BTW, that particular Lyman 20X scope won smallbore @ Camp Perry in 1967. It was owned by Kenny leasure. Kenny was @ Omaha Beach. he was wounded by shrapnel, but kept fighting instead of going to the medics. A REAL American Hero.

319, Yes, scope selection, set-up and mounting is critical! I firmly beleave most 'inaccurate rifles' are the victim of poorly thought out and sloppy scope mounting! I have seen some real hack-jobs! Or, the wrong combination of bases, rings and scope leads to poor check weld, or parallax troubles. Hint: if the bases, rings or scope says 'China' on it, trouble is brewing!

Here's a close up of the external micrometer, external adjustments on that Lyman STS (note the quick-release screw mount).

[img width=600 height=400]http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q228/ultramag44/LSTSMicrometer.jpg[/img]

Here's a transitional scope. A Redfield 3200 24X. It has the optical setup of the long scopes, but is fitted with internal adjustments. It's mounted on a BSA Martini MkII (Light Pattern)

[img width=600 height=400]http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q228/ultramag44/BSAredfieldfromL.jpg[/img]

The long scopes had quick attach & quick-release mounts. One might fire a iron sight match in the morning, then switch to scope for the afteroon match. The scope was transported in a box like this.

[img width=600 height=450]http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q228/ultramag44/ScopeBoxSTS.jpg[/img]

Covered the pool on Monday, sniff, sniff

[img width=600 height=450]http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q228/ultramag44/52Cstockredopool.jpg[/img]

gt40

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey262
    2 reasons

02) Scopes are happiest mechanically when they are used with the W & E adjustments in the approximate center of their range
    Does this mean that for long range shooting when you need to adjust the elevation & windage way out of center the scope is not "mechanically happy"?

"Aim small miss small", ;D

gt40

ultramag44

Quote Originally Posted by gt40
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokey262
    2 reasons

Does this mean that for long range shooting when you need to adjust the elevation & windage way out of center the scope is not "mechanically happy"?

"Aim small miss small", ;D gt40
    Yeppers! That's what it means! For long range they make tapered bases that will 'aim' your scope while keeping the turrets near center. Burris Signature Rings w/ the + / - inserts will do this to. The Burris insert kits will also allow one to correct for windage errors.

Members who have read this thread in the last 1 days: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.