Thread: High capacity .300 WSM Magazine for 110 Long Range Hunter

High capacity magazine for the .300 WSM, 110 Long Range Hunter

Hi,
    I had previously posted this on the Welcome Forum. It might be more helpful on this forum.

__________________________________________________ ________
    As far as I can tell, there isn't a high capacity detachable magazine for the WSM models of the 110 model rifle available from Savage (or anywhere else?), or I would have bought it.

So I did what HotOlds442 suggested. I bought the 10FCP-SR which is a 10 round capacity mag for non-WSM cartridges (.243, .308, 7mm-08, 6.5 Creedmore, etc). That by itself didn't work because the WSM cartridges didn't feed out of the 10FCP-SR magazine because the WSM cartridges are too large in diameter.
    So, I did some custom reassembly. Each magazine is comprised of 4 parts: 1. Sheet metal housing (somewhat cartridge specific) 2. Cartridge follower (also somewhat cartridge specific) 3. Leaf spring (standard model and high capacity model) and 4. Magazine base
    (also standard model and high capacity model).

1. Use a C-Clamp and carefully compress the sheet metal housing just enough so that it can be released from the lugs in the magazine base.
    2. Remove the sheet metal housing from the base and disassemble the magazine into the 4 parts.
    3. Slide the leaf springs out of the Cartridge follower.
    4. Repeat for both magazines (the standard capacity WSM and the
    10FCP-SR magazine.
    5. Swap parts: Slide the high cap leaf spring into the WSM Cartridge follower.
    6. Insert the WSM Cartridge Follower/Spring assy into the WSM Sheet Metal Housing.
    7. Use the C-Clamp again and carefully compress the WSM housing and slide it into the High Capacity Base, making sure it is oriented correctly by aligning the locking lugs with the slots in the sheet metal housing.
    8. Reassemble the remaining parts into the other magazine and you will have a standard capacity non-WSM magazine to use or sell.

It works perfectly in my gun and if you have some mechanical aptitude, it is pretty easy.......No tweaking or bending of the sheet metal and as far as I know it is the only option. I now have a 6 round capacity vs a 2 round capacity. I don't understand why this isn't available from Savage. Who thinks a detachable magazine with a capacity of only 2 rounds should be the only option??

If you have any questions, repost or send me an e-mail at brockman0730@gmail.com
    Mike

You shouldn’t have had issues feeding from the FCP-SR magazine, but it’s good to know there is an easy solution. I hate only having two in the box, but as of yet, I haven’t needed either round while hunting.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Thanks for the write up.

Many Savage owners own Savage rifles because we like to tinker and do things ourselves.

Welcome to the forum !

Thanks for the original suggestion! I was hopeful it would work as is but it definitely didn't. All is well that ends well! :)

Quote Originally Posted by MsBrockman View Post
    Hi,
    I had previously posted this on the Welcome Forum. It might be more helpful on this forum.

__________________________________________________ ________
    As far as I can tell, there isn't a high capacity detachable magazine for the WSM models of the 110 model rifle available from Savage (or anywhere else?), or I would have bought it.

So I did what HotOlds442 suggested. I bought the 10FCP-SR which is a 10 round capacity mag for non-WSM cartridges (.243, .308, 7mm-08, 6.5 Creedmore, etc). That by itself didn't work because the WSM cartridges didn't feed out of the 10FCP-SR magazine because the WSM cartridges are too large in diameter.
    So, I did some custom reassembly. Each magazine is comprised of 4 parts: 1. Sheet metal housing (somewhat cartridge specific) 2. Cartridge follower (also somewhat cartridge specific) 3. Leaf spring (standard model and high capacity model) and 4. Magazine base
    (also standard model and high capacity model).

1. Use a C-Clamp and carefully compress the sheet metal housing just enough so that it can be released from the lugs in the magazine base.
    2. Remove the sheet metal housing from the base and disassemble the magazine into the 4 parts.
    3. Slide the leaf springs out of the Cartridge follower.
    4. Repeat for both magazines (the standard capacity WSM and the
    10FCP-SR magazine.
    5. Swap parts: Slide the high cap leaf spring into the WSM Cartridge follower.
    6. Insert the WSM Cartridge Follower/Spring assy into the WSM Sheet Metal Housing.
    7. Use the C-Clamp again and carefully compress the WSM housing and slide it into the High Capacity Base, making sure it is oriented correctly by aligning the locking lugs with the slots in the sheet metal housing.
    8. Reassemble the remaining parts into the other magazine and you will have a standard capacity non-WSM magazine to use or sell.

It works perfectly in my gun and if you have some mechanical aptitude, it is pretty easy.......No tweaking or bending of the sheet metal and as far as I know it is the only option. I now have a 6 round capacity vs a 2 round capacity. I don't understand why this isn't available from Savage. Who thinks a detachable magazine with a capacity of only 2 rounds should be the only option??

If you have any questions, repost or send me an e-mail at brockman0730@gmail.com
    Mike
    I’ll also add that this method will NOT work for those of you that have the magazine release built into the bottom of the magazine (axis-style).
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways