Thread: I won a 300WM Long Range Hunter

I won a 300WM Long Range Hunter

Hello, I just joined and posted an intro. I thought I would also jump right in to the main forum as well. I recently won a raffle for a Savage long range hunter in .300 Win. Mag. At first, I considered selling it since I am left handed and the rifle is not. However, I really like it and do not feel like spending the difference in what I could sell it for versus purchasing another in left hand. Plus, until recently I only ever owned or shot right handed bolt guns anyway.

So, I am interested in learning what others have done in terms of optics etc. on similar rifles. We have very limited rifle hunting in this area of Maryland and I am likely to mostly punch paper with it. It has the adjustable comb synthetic stock which seems to me to have a too much adjustment to the point of making the cheek mount overly high unless it is set at the lowest 2 settings. I was considering a DNZ one-piece scope mount.

Basic Member
    It is a really unique rifle. I just picked one up in 7mm Mag (put the rail on today) I like the slightly heavier barrel and the adjustable muzzle brake. I have a Burris MTAC 4.5-14 that I just took off my 116 7mm Mag that I traded in on the new 7mm Mag. I am not sure I am going to keep that on the gun, since this is a LOT nicer than the 116 I traded in, I feel it deserves a better scope. I have a 6.5-20 Burris MTAC that I haven't put on any rifle yet, and a Burris XTR2 3-15 G2B that might go on it. I am just not sure yet. I have the XTR2 on my long range rifle, so that would mean that I have to upgrade that one with a 5-25. It is such a tough choice.

Hope yours is a shooter! Good luck!

Basic Member
    I have a 111 LRH in 300 WM and love it, its very accurate loaded with Hornady 212 gr ELD-X over 75.6 gr H1000. I have a EGW 20 MOA scope base and Warne fixed 30 mm rings. The scope is a Sightron STAC 4-20X50mm, MOA2 reticle I really like the adjustable muzzle brake, mine shoots to the same POI if turned off or on with no change in accuracy.
    Last edited by BigDad; 01-26-2018 at 08:30 PM. Reason: correction

Congrats on your raffle win. (I know how it feels; having won two, 3rd Gen SAAs ,and a Benelli SBE II DU Limited years ago). Can't beat "for free!"

In .300 Win Bag? - freakin' awesome! I still remember the first time I ever put a .300 Win Mag to my shoulder and touched it off - big recoil - gotta love it. You will become one with that gun.

Optics? I like Vortex Scopes. Lower price point but reasonable quality. MHO.

Enjoy it in good health.

Lucky Duck,
    I prefer a 2 piece base setup because it gives better clearance at the ejection port and they are plenty sturdy.
    I love the Burris E1 scopes with a 50MM objective. Absolutely the best thing going in their price range and the ballistic plex reticle matches up very well to flat shooting cartridges like the Win mag. Range, point and shoot.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Having a couple of kids in college, my discretionary spending is near nil. So, while I would like to purchase a top of the line 30mm scope, I already own this 1": Konus 7259 Riflescope 6x-24x44mm Zoom
    So, I am looking at a DNZ game getter 1 piece mount to go with it.