Thread: Model 25 22 pump action rifle cleaning

Model 25 22 pump action rifle cleaning

I inherited a Savage Model 25 Octagon barrel 22 pump action rifle that is in need of a good cleaning and lubrication. Anyone have or know of good videos on breaking it down for cleaning, how the mechanism works, diagrams, schematics, drawings, photographs or other information to guide me in disassembly, cleaning, reassembly? How about a gunsmith or other individual who is an expert on this rifle or an knowledgeable owner?

Just unscrew the large slotted screw (you may need a screwdriver to start it) at the right rear of the receiver, then you can separate the two halves of the receiver to access the internal parts.
    Once you get inside you can kind of see how it all works by sliding the forend back and forth. The bolt is easily removed and replaced, and I wouldn't recommend further
    disassembly unless you have a problem. Also, make sure you only use standard velocity in it.
    Good luck with it.

Thanks WalnutBill22 for the information. You don't have or know of any photos, schematics or videos about further disassembly? I think I may want to break it down further and clean it. It has been known to jam on feeding a new cartridge. I don't think this gun has been cleaned in decades.

Try sending a pm to SAV22. He's the resident expert on Savage 22 rifles, and if anyone can help you with a problem, he's the man.

Thanks WanutBill22 for pointing me to the top resources.

Basic Member
    pejaenke, got your message. I would not try to do full disassembly, pull the stock & you should be able to wash out the action with a spray solvent. If you do wish to do a full disassembly (which I have never done!) to take out the lifter assembly you have to drive on the sleeve the takedown screw goes through, I think this can be done by screwing the takedown screw into it with the receiver split and then gently tapping on it ... MAKE SURE YOU HAVE ENOUGH THREADS ENGAGED THAT YOU WILL NOT DAMAGE THEM ... and DO NOT HIT IT HARD ENOUGH TO DRIVE THE TAKEDOWN SCREW SO THE TAPER ON IT HIT HARD ENOUGH TO DAMAGE SOMETHING.

I had never done that before, while typing this I just removed the carrier from one, put the takedown screw in with full thread engagement and slapped it with the palm of my hand, this started the sleeve out and I then unscrewed it some so I could push the sleeve out more, I then theaded the screw in from the other side and pulled the sleeve out. Just put it back in without a problem... but I still think it can be cleaned well enough without taking it out.

To get the slide arm out you have to remove the magazine tube, there is a small screw accessible through the loading port, remover that and the magazine should slide out through the front magazine ring... IF NOT I would leave it alone, the front rings are just clips that snap into small slots in the barrel and if bent out of round you will a lot of problems getting the magazine tube back in (often what happens when they are pinched together to to far when removed). The only way these clips can be removed properly is with the magazine pulled out, if it has been bent by getting hitting on something it will be very hard to remove it.

I will go over the standard takedown procedure on these, it can be a problem if you do not realize that to reassemble it after takedown that the hammer must be cocked and the action opened about halfway (store it taken down with the action closed or the bolt can fall out, you can also manually uncock the hammer for storage but remember to cock it again before try to reassemble). When reassembled the hammer can be uncocked by slip closing it, it should never be dry fired, open the action and then hold the trigger back as the action is closed and the hammer will follow the bolt as it closes.

Sav22, Thanks for the great advice. I followed it and cleaned the gun without disassembling the lifter assembly, using spray cleaner and oil in one. It worked great. I doubt the weapon had been cleaned in decades, was a filthy mess inside and had some grit in it. I removed the stock and that gave me great access as you suggested. Thanks for the terrific guidance.

WallnutBill22 and Sav22, I have a related question on this rifle. Can you narrow down the date of manufacture for my Savage Model 25, 22 pump, octagon barrel rifle, S/N 9979? I've read 1925-1929 many places but would like to verify that and even narrow it down to what year was this S/N made.

Unfortunately, there are no records for the early Savages. I'm pretty sure the 1925-29 dates are correct, and based on your serial number, I would guess middle of the range, or about 1927.
    Again, Sav22 will know more.

Basic Member
    Bill & Paul, I have some better information on the manufacturing dates -
    In a Wholesale Price List dated Jan2, 1925 the 'new Model 25' is listed - so production must have started late 1924
    In product catalog #65 with a price listed dated Jan 2, 1929 the Model 29 is listed and the Model 25 page is overstamped with a note on it's being replaced - so production must have stopped sometime late in 1928.

That amounts to about four years full production. I am quite certain the serial numbers started at 1000 and the highest I have recorded is 26239, so I would say your gun would have been made in late 1925 or early 1926 if you average it out.

There are records available on some models of 22's to about 1931, this includes the Model 25's. These are the warehouse ledgers and are now in the hands of Savage Arms. I believe they charge $35 to do a letter and all this usually has is the date the gun went into the warehouse, the date it was shipped and usually to where it was shipped plus some general information about the model the you can get for free other places (like here!). Until recently these records were in private hands and the pricing & other things are not for certain right now.
    Last edited by Sav22; 02-05-2018 at 12:45 PM. Reason: redid my math - it was wrong