Thread: 6.5 creedmoor barrel swap questions

6.5 creedmoor barrel swap questions

Hey All,

I am planning on swapping the factory barrel on my 10 FCP HS precision in .308. I've put close to 4000rds through it and plan to swap barrels after I burn though this last box of 500 match kings. I've got everything picked out (barrel, nut, lug, tools) from NSS, and am getting ready to place an order, however I have a few questions before I go ahead with this project:

1. Replacement bolt head. I know the .308 bolt head I have will work with 6.5 creedmoor, however given the 4000 rounds this bolt has on it, should I look at replacing the bold head? If so, is it worth looking into the PTG replacement bolt heads? I seem to recall reading about dishing of the bolt face with factory heads after high round counts. Should I look at replacing ejector and extractor springs also?

2. What about the firing pin, its spring or associated components, do these warrant replacement based of round count, or should I not worry?

3. Magazine compatibility. I have the savage factory 10FCP 10 rd and 4 rd magazines. Does anyone know of any issues with these mags running 6.5 creedmoor?

Sorry if these have been discussed prior, I've been doing a lot of learning and research past couple weeks and am left with just these few nagging questions that need clarification. Any other advice, tips, or comments are appreciated.

Thanks!

Basic Member
    1. No need unless you want. 4000 rounds is nothing on a bolt.

2. Don't worry.

3. The magazines that work with a .308 will work with a Creedmoor.

Swap the barrel and get shooting.

where did you find your replacement barrel? I am looking for a used 6.5 barrel and to get rid of my 243 barrel

I recently cpmpleted a 6.5 Creedmoor build using an older doner action that was 30-06 and has the old adjustable three screw trigger. All I had to change was the barrel, everything else works just fine with the Creedmoor. Using the long action gives me the ability to play with overall length and still feed from the mag.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67