Thread: 6.5x55 question

6.5x55 question

Anyone know if a 6.5 creedmore or 6.5x47 lapua barrel can be rechambered for 6.5x55 without shortening the chamber end of the barrel?

Thanks, Jim

Basic Member
    Just a quick google for the chamber dimensions of each of them it looks like the 6.5x55 is just slightly bigger in diameter by a few thousandths than the 6.5 Creedmore and the 6.5x47. So it looks to me like you could just run a 6.5x55 chamber reamer into either one.

But I'm not a gun smith and have never run a chamber reamer into any barrel.

Basic Member
    I'd imagine most Smiths are going to want to chop off 1-2" and start fresh or nearly fresh on the new chamber. In the run you could probably buy a new blank and have it chambered for nearly the same $$$

The Swede has a larger rim diameter than the Creedmoor or Lapua, as well. (0.480" vs. 0473" for the other two). May need to open the bolt face a tad.
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    I'd imagine most Smiths are going to want to chop off 1-2" and start fresh or nearly fresh on the new chamber. In the run you could probably buy a new blank and have it chambered for nearly the same $$$
    More I've been thinking about it, I'm pretty sure most chamber reamers have a pilot on them to keep them aligned as you ream the chamber. That might not work going to 6.5x55 from the two listed. Although if it will work might be able to pick up a used 6.5 Creedmore with some throat wear and rechamber it for 6.5x55 and get a cheap hunting rifle in that caliber.

Basic Member
    I'm no gunsmith either but I have chambered a few barrels. If the Swede cartridge is dimensionally larger in all aspects than the Creed, one could do it.

It's been my limited experience that swapping a chamber can be frustrating though. I once reamed a .222 to .22/250. Fought reamer chatter all the way.

From a financial standpoint, I doubt it makes a whole lot of sense to hire it done. Of course most gun - stuff is a loser anyway.

You will need a long action for the Swede. I have never heard of it being used in a short action. If this is just doing barrel work, I am not 100% sure if it will work. It will depend on your current barrel specs.

E. Arthur Brown makes a "kit" to put the 6.5x55mm in a Savage short action.

https://www.eabco.net/Savage-Accurac...e_p_15626.html

The magazine may limit the overall length and feeding. I'll have to measure mine to see if 3.125" would fit.

Thanks for the info Stump. Pretty neat to see other options. This would work, but you are right in that you would be limited on OAL if mag fed. Single feed would probably work though for longer OAL.

Basic Member
    I have looked into this a bunch, I vote no way on the creedmoor. The creed has a .463 case to shoulder junction, standard swede is .435. The lapua being shorter and .455 at the junction gives a maybe. you could do a 260ai or the improved swede or a 6,5x284 or..... I ordered a barrel with what I wanted, pretty easy.

Thanks for the replies guys. I guess I knew already that it would be a $ sink even if it were possible. Was hoping I could buy a savage barreled action and have it re-chambered. Would love to have been able to find one in 6.5x55, but I don't believe they exist. I'm just a swede lover at heart I guess.

Not to add more confusion, but when I wanted a short action version of the 6.5X55mm the easy answer was a .260 Rem. You can duplicate (or exceed) most loads right on up to the 156 gr Norma bullets. The big boys do require being set deep - but with the powders available you get no wasted space (isn't that part of case efficiency?) But if you need more velocity or energy . . . maybe you need a different cartridge. But about the same can be said for the 6.5 Creedmoor . . . and the 6.5X47 Lapua. There's no pressing reason to switch between them.

Besides, the 6.5 PRC will make all other .264" cartridges obsolete in a few months. ;-) Until the next one comes along.

6.5 prc?

https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/r...r-eld-match#!/

Be the first kid on your block to own one! "Reasonable barrel life" I really like that as a selling point. ;-)

what is new is old and what is old is new again

Yeah. It's funny how a cartridge from 1891 keeps up and is still the one that's compared to.

W.D.M. [Koromojo] Bell killed 300 elephants with the lesser 6.5x54mm Mannlicher-Schoenauer and only gave it up because the ammo of the time wasn't reliable in the African heat. He and others thought it was the best for lions as well.

Think on this: if you take the 20 or so suitable powders and start testing the 100 or so available .264" bullets with, maybe, five different powder loads for each - that's 10,000 combinations before you even start playing with cases and primers, seating depth, etc. No wonder the 6.5mm offerings overlap!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by freestate101 View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys. I guess I knew already that it would be a $ sink even if it were possible. Was hoping I could buy a savage barreled action and have it re-chambered. Would love to have been able to find one in 6.5x55, but I don't believe they exist. I'm just a swede lover at heart I guess.
    Look around for a used Savage 110 long action, something like a .30-06 or .270 and just re-barrel it with a 6.5x55 barrel. $259 and it includes the barrel wrench. I picked up a 110 that someone had re-barreled to .308. I shoots alright but I've been thinking about putting a 6.5x55 barrel on it. I'm a fan of the Sweede too.

^^^^^^ That.

The E. Arthur Brown set-up works with long or short action - and the long action you can putter with the longest of bullets (if it has the leade). Too bad it's only in heavy varmint contour barrels. The Swede is the ultimate sporter weight cartridge (well, among the best, anyway).

With the M11 .260 Rem short action I ran out of leade with 1/4" still available in the magazine. Gives me something to look forward to as the throat erodes. ;-)

Basic Member
    My target rifle I built I started off with a 111 in 270. Installed a douglas barrel on it in 6.5x55. I like having plenty of room to seat bullets exactly where I want to and not having to worry about them fitting in the mag.