Thread: $100 CABELAS gift card for $80...Ebay..Huh????

Basic Member

$100 CABELAS gift card for $80...Ebay..Huh????

How is this possible. That's 20% off a rifle or handgun. Smok'n deal!

Has anyone bought and used these cards?

How are you guaranteed to have $100 on these?

Basic Member
    I had never heard of this and had to look it up myself. Seems odd. I just can't imagine a company losing $20 for each card.

Quote Originally Posted by BB68 View Post
    How are you guaranteed to have $100 on these?
    I wonder this too. Something smells fishy. I can not help but think of the old saying "if it seems too good to be true"......

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JeepsAndGuns View Post
    I had never heard of this and had to look it up myself. Seems odd. I just can't imagine a company losing $20 for each card.

I wonder this too. Something smells fishy. I can not help but think of the old saying "if it seems too good to be true"......
    Well they might be willing to lose money on each deal, and hope to make it up with volume. lol

Basic Member
    I hope they're legit because I just bought one . Haven't tried it yet.
    Randy

Basic Member
    Buy them regularly and they are legit. Great deals! Especially buying up to 3 at that price for larger purchases.

ETA: This is a limited sale too. They don't last long, so jump if you want some.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyB View Post
    Buy them regularly and they are legit. Great deals! Especially buying up to 3 at that price for larger purchases.

ETA: This is a limited sale too. They don't last long, so jump if you want some.
    Yep, like RandyB said, absolutely legit. I have bought several from eBay.(Sold by SVM gift cards) Right now they are selling $100 cards for $82, with 3 limit. I have used them in conjunction with the Savage 12FV sale and rebate to save even more.

Kinda Weird?
    Perpetual Optimism is a force Multiplier....

Not unusual at all. Think about this, do you really think Speedway and Walmart and every other store that has a rack of gift cards for other stores by the register actually pays face value for the cards? Heck no, they're probably paying $0.40-.50 on the dollar as they have to make a profit on them to. Then after the holiday season they sell those unsold cards to a company like SVM Gift Cards at a discount and SVM sells them on their website, Ebay, wherever for less than face value which gives the buyer a deal and they're still making a good profit from it.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Don't buy it pls,
    Here is my story:
    There is/was an online site that sold giftcards, and I saw cabelas gift cars for 20% off, $50 for $40,
    I loaded up and ordered some ammo, ammo came in and then few months later I received a nasty gram from cabelas HQ from my home state, basically saying I paid with invalid gift card (1 of them) which constitutes fraud.

Few calls to their corporate to pay the diff with my amex.
    Then more time on phone with amex to get the money back.
    never again!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stockrex View Post
    I received a nasty gram from cabelas HQ from my home state, basically saying I paid with invalid gift card (1 of them) which constitutes fraud.
    If it was invalid, then how were you able to use it? The only times I have heard about problems is from the card not working and purchasers having to contact the distributor to send another card or a refund. I never heard of the situation like yours.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stockrex View Post
    Don't buy it pls,
    Here is my story:
    There is/was an online site that sold giftcards, and I saw cabelas gift cars for 20% off, $50 for $40,
    I loaded up and ordered some ammo, ammo came in and then few months later I received a nasty gram from cabelas HQ from my home state, basically saying I paid with invalid gift card (1 of them) which constitutes fraud.

Few calls to their corporate to pay the diff with my amex.
    Then more time on phone with amex to get the money back.
    never again!
    Quote Originally Posted by NicfromAlabama View Post
    If it was invalid, then how were you able to use it? The only times I have heard about problems is from the card not working and purchasers having to contact the distributor to send another card or a refund. I never heard of the situation like yours.
    Actually this can happen. It goes like this:
    Thief steals credit card info. He purchases gift cards. He sells gift cards for cash and has effectively laundered the cash. Credit card owners find fraudulent charges and dispute them. Issuing bank reverses purchases made with stolen card. Retailer looses money for gift cards and revokes them and/or goes after whoever redeemed them.

Moral is that you have to check the references of the seller. SVM is GTG... They have over 150,000 customer ratings at 99%+ approval.

Basic Member
    Thief steals credit card info. He purchases gift cards. He sells gift cards for cash and has effectively laundered the cash. Credit card owners find fraudulent charges and dispute them. Issuing bank reverses purchases made with stolen card. Retailer looses money for gift cards and revokes them and/or goes after whoever redeemed them.

Moral is that you have to check the references of the seller. SVM is GTG... They have over 150,000 customer ratings at 99%+ approval.
    I guess I understand. I have had my credit card # stolen in the past. I know one time they bought Kohl's gift cards. So, probably the scenario as you described.

I have bought many, all from SVM gift cards. I have a coworker who does not believe it is legit though, even though he knows I have bought multiple Savage rifles with them.

Interestingly, he is trying to convince me to buy the Cabela's 40th Anniversary Bass Tracker they are selling for $9,995. I said I would, but only with $100 Cabela's gift cards. Counting tax, I think I only need 108 of them.

How can the retailer revoke/cancel the gift card when most gift cards don't have a unique identifying number other than the one that's covered by the scratchy-offy stuff on the back? Cabela's gift cards (at least all the ones I've received over the years) don't have a magnetic swipe strip on them.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NicfromAlabama View Post
    I guess I understand. I have had my credit card # stolen in the past. I know one time they bought Kohl's gift cards. So, probably the scenario as you described.

I have bought many, all from SVM gift cards. I have a coworker who does not believe it is legit though, even though he knows I have bought multiple Savage rifles with them.

Interestingly, he is trying to convince me to buy the Cabela's 40th Anniversary Bass Tracker they are selling for $9,995. I said I would, but only with $100 Cabela's gift cards. Counting tax, I think I only need 108 of them.
    Hey i was just looking at that boat today at Bass Pro in Palm Bay, a really nice package, especially if you could get one for 108 gift cards.

Basic Member
    I have bought over $2000 worth of these physical cards and online cards without issue. Easiest 20% off I have ever experienced...

Since my experience with Cabelas GC bought online I only get GC that I can get on discount from reputable merchants like sams/costco/meijer.

I might still have that letter in my files, the scary part of the letter was timing, it came around 2 months after I used it, incidentally I bought ammo with it and the ammo was delivered within a few weeks.

I agree, getting stuff with discounted giftcards is a good idea, I do that for some big ticket items.
    Costco used to sell cabelas giftcards, I looked last time i was there, could not find any.

Double it up with a discount coupon, that makes for juicy price!

if you are going to buy a big ticket item open a cabelas CC, they give your 10% of the first $2000 or $1000 s, make sure you confirm it at store, they refused to give me mine after I had made the transaction.