Thread: My newest Creedmoor

Basic Member

My newest Creedmoor

I put this one together last fall,and it's a shooter.
    The pic was taken before my trigger arrived,so there's no trigger shown.

Shilen DGR LH action w/20 moa rail
    Shilen Select Match 26" Varmint Contour 1-8 twist / 6.5 Creedmoor threaded for my suppressor's
    KRG Whiskey 3 LH chassis
    IOR Valdada Recon 4-28x50 scope
    ARC M10 medium 40mm rings
    TriggerTech Special trigger set at 1.5#
    Atlas Bi-pod
    Thunder Beast 30-P1 suppressor
    Cerakoting was done by Trinity Ordnance in Lake Worth,TX. They do great work really cheap!

This is by far the most expensive rifle that I've ever owned/assembled,but it shoots and feels really good.
    I have two loads that I shoot with it right now,Reloader 17 & H4350,and I'm satisfied with it. The farthest I've shot it so far is 1793 yards.

Basic Member
    Nice!

Basic Member
    Looks solid! Always enjoyed the accuracy I saw from my Shilen DGR. How is it treating you ejection/extraction wise?

Very Noice....Congrats....That's a keeper.
    Perpetual Optimism is a force Multiplier....

Basic Member
    Wow! That's impressive. You gotta love it when a "plan", I mean a build, comes together like that

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    Looks solid! Always enjoyed the accuracy I saw from my Shilen DGR. How is it treating you ejection/extraction wise?
    The ejection/extraction is just fine. Most shooters that have issues with the Savage style bolts are the cause of most of the issues. They cycle the bolt too slowly, then the case will come out of the chamber and has time to hit the inside of the action, thus it gets knocked out of the jaw of the extractor and doesn't get ejected out of the action.
    if you operate the bolt in a smooth swift action, you will never have that issue.

Basic Member
    Mine would always turn cases 180* and drop them right back in the action. It drove me insane no matter how I ran the bolt!

Mine would always turn cases 180* and drop them right back in the action. It drove me insane no matter how I ran the bolt!
    I had that same problem with my Axis..... It was the detent ball, extractor and the spring that needed replaced. Haven't had it happen since.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SageRat Shooter View Post
    I had that same problem with my Axis..... It was the detent ball, extractor and the spring that needed replaced. Haven't had it happen since.
    I bought and installed the upgrade kit to no effect. Even tried the "Magnum" spring on the ejector. I ended up trading the action and bought my first Mausingfield.

Basic Member
    I had problems with my old 12 FLVSS 223, but I wore that rifle out. I bought a new bolt head/parts, and it's been fine since.

I can make any of my Savage's drop a case in the port, but only if I cycle the bolt slowly.

Basic Member
    Killer looking rifle. What did you use for that distance, 147gr bullets? I took my LRP to 1600yds yesterday with 140s and it was a little difficult, only 4 hits out of 20 into a 16" target with factory hornady 140 ELD Ms.

Quote Originally Posted by 88Magnum View Post
    Killer looking rifle. What did you use for that distance, 147gr bullets? I took my LRP to 1600yds yesterday with 140s and it was a little difficult, only 4 hits out of 20 into a 16" target with factory hornady 140 ELD Ms.

What scope are you using? That IOR he is running has mass amounts of Elevation (MOA or MIL) on the turrets. Those are TRULY top of the line. Would love to run one of those, but would have to sell all of my rifles and then liquidate the 401K to pay for it. LOL!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 88Magnum View Post
    I shoot the 143 gr ELD-X bullet in this rifle,and the Berger 140 VLD out of my Savage action 6.5 CM. You gotta get high velocity to get it out there,I'm running right at 2900 fps using Reloader 17 and Lapua brass

What scope are you using? That IOR he is running has mass amounts of Elevation (MOA or MIL) on the turrets. Those are TRULY top of the line. Would love to run one of those, but would have to sell all of my rifles and then liquidate the 401K to pay for it. LOL!

I love that scope! If I didn't shoot LH,I would've probably put a S&B or Nightforce ATACR on it. The IOR and Kahles are the only high end LH friendly scopes on the market when it comes to parallax adjustment.

Quote Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
    I shoot the 143 gr ELD-X bullet in this rifle,and the Berger 140 VLD out of my Savage action 6.5 CM. You gotta get high velocity to get it out there,I'm running right at 2900 fps using Reloader 17 and Lapua brass

I love that scope! If I didn't shoot LH,I would've probably put a S&B or Nightforce ATACR on it. The IOR and Kahles are the only high end LH friendly scopes on the market when it comes to parallax adjustment.
    I'm a lefty too! I feel your pain as we get overlooked for just about everything... particularly in the firearm department. I have the Sightron SIII 6-24x50 with the side parallax adjustment... it's the most friendly to us lefties that I've been able to put my hands on. That IOR though....

Basic Member

Got it, thanks.

Basic Member
    Looks great

Basic Member
    I'm a lefty too! I feel your pain as we get overlooked for just about everything... particularly in the firearm department. I have the Sightron SIII 6-24x50 with the side parallax adjustment... it's the most friendly to us lefties that I've been able to put my hands on. That IOR though....
    I've got 4 of the Sightron SIII scopes. They are great optics,I just wish Sightron would step up to the plate and offer some better reticles,and zero stops in their scopes.
    The glass quality and tracking has always been very good,but they lag way behind other companies on staying up to date with what shooters actually want in a scope.

Athlon has really impressed me with quality scopes at a very good price. I have a Midas BTR 4.5-27x50 on my 7mm-08,and put a Cronus 4.5-29x56 on my other 6.5 CM. The Cronus doesn't give up too much against the IOR scope,but you can tell it isn't in the same league as the top shelf optics in the way the turrets feel. It is very audible,but the feel isn't as solid. The Midas BTR will give the Sightron SIII scopes a run for the money,and has a lot better reticle.
    I hope the new Athlon Ares ETR scope is all they are said to be,I'll probably buy one for the new 22 Creedmoor that I'm building.

I've got 4 of the Sightron SIII scopes. They are great optics,I just wish Sightron would step up to the plate and offer some better reticles,and zero stops in their scopes.
    The glass quality and tracking has always been very good,but they lag way behind other companies on staying up to date with what shooters actually want in a scope.

Athlon has really impressed me with quality scopes at a very good price. I have a Midas BTR 4.5-27x50 on my 7mm-08,and put a Cronus 4.5-29x56 on my other 6.5 CM. The Cronus doesn't give up too much against the IOR scope,but you can tell it isn't in the same league as the top shelf optics in the way the turrets feel. It is very audible,but the feel isn't as solid. The Midas BTR will give the Sightron SIII scopes a run for the money,and has a lot better reticle.
    I hope the new Athlon Ares ETR scope is all they are said to be,I'll probably buy one for the new 22 Creedmoor that I'm building.
    Sightron has a Zero stop shim now. I bought one and it works great. https://zer-ostop.com/shop?olsPage=p...5mm-zer-o-stop I have the 2MOA reticle and I have not had any issues using it thus far. I prefer a cleaner reticle though.... Something like a Horus would be too much info and clutter for me. Maybe that will change in the future, I don't know.

Sightron has also updated their turrets https://sightronusa.com/tactical-turrets/ which I also upgraded. They're trying to stay relevant....

Basic Member
    Sightron has a Zero stop shim now. I bought one and it works great. https://zer-ostop.com/shop?olsPage=p...5mm-zer-o-stop I have the 2MOA reticle and I have not had any issues using it thus far. I prefer a cleaner reticle though.... Something like a Horus would be too much info and clutter for me. Maybe that will change in the future, I don't know.
    I always thought the H59 was cluttered as well until I started shooting with it. It's so much easier to shoot in the wind because you know exactly what you held and if your first shot was off as long as you can spot it you know exactly how much you need to add. I've center punched many 1/2 and 1 MOA targets beyond 600yds on second shot follow-ups due to the .2mil hashes on the H59. I will always use a reticle like the H59 or similar after my experiences.

I always thought the H59 was cluttered as well until I started shooting with it. It's so much easier to shoot in the wind because you know exactly what you held and if your first shot was off as long as you can spot it you know exactly how much you need to add. I've center punched many 1/2 and 1 MOA targets beyond 600yds on second shot follow-ups due to the .2mil hashes on the H59. I will always use a reticle like the H59 or similar after my experiences.
    LW, I figured you drop in on this one... Maybe one day I'll have a need for as much information as you, but you and I are on opposite ends of the spectrum as far as what we are doing with our rifles. I'm just a country boy with a decent precision rifle, and too much time on his hands... You however, are a running, gunning, PRS comp guy... I can understand the need for something like a Horus reticle for your use. Maybe I'll get the bug as many others have. But yesterday was the first time I took mine out past 200 yards. Had a gong someone had setup at 403 Yards, so I decided for S & G's to take a shot at it after zeroing at 100 Yards. Lased it, dialed for wind and elevation and drilled it on the second shot. Had a total of 5 hits out of 9 rounds. I know that's not very far, but for the first time trying I was pleased and it instilled hope that my goal of 1K may be achievable.

Basic Member
    LW, I figured you drop in on this one... Maybe one day I'll have a need for as much information as you, but you and I are on opposite ends of the spectrum as far as what we are doing with our rifles. I'm just a country boy with a decent precision rifle, and too much time on his hands... You however, are a running, gunning, PRS comp guy... I can understand the need for something like a Horus reticle for your use. Maybe I'll get the bug as many others have. But yesterday was the first time I took mine out past 200 yards. Had a gong someone had setup at 403 Yards, so I decided for S & G's to take a shot at it after zeroing at 100 Yards. Lased it, dialed for wind and elevation and drilled it on the second shot. Had a total of 5 hits out of 9 rounds. I know that's not very far, but for the first time trying I was pleased and it instilled hope that my goal of 1K may be achievable.

Fully understand. 1K is not as difficult as many picture it! The advantage I have over most is that I shoot a lot! Experience is the best knowledge of all in this realm. Nothing beats properly practiced trigger time! Get out and shoot!

nice