Thread: 2018 Rig came together very nicely

Basic Member

2018 Rig came together very nicely

Built in conjunction with Shadow Hunter Concepts
    American Rifle Company Mausingfield Action
    Hawkins Bottom Metal
    TriggerTech Diamond set at 10oz
    XCaliber 25” Heavy Palma 8 Twist Cryo treated 6.5x47
    Foundation Stocks MG1L (CNC machined from Micarta)
    Bushnell XRS2 in ARC low rings
    MK Maching level
    Area 419 Hellfire Muzzle Brake
    ARC mags w/ Area 419 extenders
    Harris Bipod with Pass Adapters for use with Atlas feet

Still have to get her out for break in and load development, but I don’t think it will take much effort.

Let me know if you’re interested in having Shadow Hunter Concepts do some work for you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by LoneWolf; 01-22-2018 at 10:24 PM.

Basic Member
    Nicely done! Sweet action to boot!

Basic Member
    Very nice. Im fixin to jump into a custom action here shortly.

Been running my savage for prs club matches and then i got a factory rem twin to help but with the bighorn origin and arc nucleus coming out and affordable enough for me i might as well.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shooterfpga View Post
    Very nice. Im fixin to jump into a custom action here shortly.

Been running my savage for prs club matches and then i got a factory rem twin to help but with the bighorn origin and arc nucleus coming out and affordable enough for me i might as well.

It will make shooting much more pleasurable! There’s nothing like walking to the line with 100% confidence in your gear!

Basic Member
    Good looking stick Lonewolf,you should really like that TriggerTech trigger. I'm running one of their Special triggers on my newest build,and love it.

I wanted to get the Bix'n Andy LH TacSport trigger,but got tired of waiting for them to arrive stateside. TriggerTech hadn't brought out the Diamond trigger yet,or I would've bought one of them.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
    Good looking stick Lonewolf,you should really like that TriggerTech trigger. I'm running one of their Special triggers on my newest build,and love it.

I wanted to get the Bix'n Andy LH TacSport trigger,but got tired of waiting for them to arrive stateside. TriggerTech hadn't brought out the Diamond trigger yet,or I would've bought one of them.
    I’ve been running the Diamond for a couple month now. Absolutely love it!

I am paying attention with interest. Last year the two stage was critical. No Mas?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    I am paying attention with interest. Last year the two stage was critical. No Mas?
    Grew a lot as a shooter and have a different level of confidence in my awareness of where my booger hook is! The TriggerTech offers much better shot timing and a more consistent break than the Timney.

Congrats....Noice looking stick....
    Perpetual Optimism is a force Multiplier....

Basic Member
    I got a cert for a huber so im ordering one.

Basic Member
    Sweet looking rig!! Let us know how it shoots LW
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Dumping the 243??
    "An armed society is a polite society"
    "...shall not be infringed" What's the confusion?

Basic Member

2018 Rig came together very nicely

Quote Originally Posted by 243LPR View Post
    Dumping the 243??
    I switched from 243 quite some time ago. Gave the 6 Creed a try as well. All shot great. All were competitive. All required mid season Barrel changes....

Last edited by LoneWolf; 01-25-2018 at 08:38 PM.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shooterfpga View Post
    I got a cert for a huber so im ordering one.

So, after the last 6 months of shooting the TriggerTech Diamond. I've started to realize that my fundamentals in regards to trigger control have gotten sloppy. The lightweight trigger for me has become a sort of "disconnect" with the rifle. With the lightweight trigger I've started to lean too much on "Free-Recoil" and minimal shooter input to drive the rifle and follow through the recoil control process. I have been missing some shots as well as the ability to spot my own impacts in some situations that were what I'd consider easy shots.

I have moved to a Huber Concepts 2 stage trigger. It arrived set at 8oz,1lbs config and I have taken some time (with direction from John Huber) to lighten it a bit. I do not have a trigger gauge, but I believe it is closer to 1lbs total break now.

The thing about 2 stage triggers and what they mean to me in the shot process:

1. I feel much more connected to the rifle. When I identify my target, build my position, and take up that first stage it's like an "on" switch for the deep intent focus that is required to make highly precise shots from alternative positions. I find myself more stable in that instance than I did waiting for the reticle to settle and tapping off the single stage trigger.

2. When I engage the first stage and come to the wall it enforces the fundamentals of a consistent grip on the rifle. With the light single stage my focus would be on not touching the trigger before I was ready. This sometimes caused me to use a very light "floating" type grip which sometimes would cause issues with recoil control.

3. The flat shoe I had on the TriggerTech did not produce a consistent placement/connection with the trigger. The design of the Huber shoe has a flat pronounced ridge in the center, but is rounded on the edges creating a very natural connection with the trigger. Sharp edges can cause minor variation in left/right pressure on the trigger which when dry firing I could identify in the reticle jump (Defined as the reticle landing in a different position than where it was when the trigger broke). This lead to further unnatural grip manipulation to try to accommodate the trigger function.

4. Although the triggertech has a very crisp break and was set around 8oz I found it to break somewhat "violently". I saw this in the reticle jump during the breaking of the trigger. This may be due to the ultra short distance of travel. The trigger breaks into a very short distinct stop which may have been why I could see the reticle jump in dry fire, but not in live fire. When I spoke with John Huber on this he spoke to the effect of timing in over travel of a trigger. Stating the over travel is not a bad thing to an extent. With appropriate over travel the firing/recoil sequence are completed before the finger comes to a stop. This should translate to less chance of the trigger manipulation affecting the shot. (Still pandering that one).

The Huber Trigger breaks very clean and in dry fire when everything else is done correctly I don't notice the same reticle jump.

Now if you really like a single stage trigger, the TT Diamond is one of the best I've ever used, but I think I would recommend the curved or pro curve version over the flat shoe. For me, I've fully identified that the 2 stage trigger works much better with my style of shooting. I'm a very aggressive shooter and a 2 stage helps me to slow down and get into that deeper focus that makes the shots count more.

Prior to the TT Diamond I was shooting a Timney Calvin Elite 2 stage with curved shoe. I did really like that trigger, but found that most of the time it broke very consistently. However, every now and then it would creep and break causing my shot to go off slightly before I was ready. So far I have not experience this with the Huber. I need to get more experience with the Huber, but so far I'm liking it a lot and glad to be back to what worked best for me in a 2 stage trigger.
    Last edited by LoneWolf; 05-21-2018 at 01:42 PM.

Thanks for that valuable assessment of how important the trigger shooter interface can be Phil. Sometimes I get puzzled by things that are causing my inconsistency. Hey a squirrel!

Basic Member
    Thanks for that valuable assessment of how important the trigger shooter interface can be Phil. Sometimes I get puzzled by things that are causing my inconsistency. Hey a squirrel!
    The trigger is probably the single most important part of a precision rifle. When I started to feel like the rifle didn't fit me right, I came to the realization that it was the trigger causing me to change how I naturally grip and maneuver the rifle. Keep at it!

Basic Member
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VPRC Mayhem 2nd place.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	134.8 KB 
ID:	4891

Stats are in on the Huber Concepts trigger. Not once did I break a shot that I wasn't ready. I love this trigger and will be switching all my rifles over. This is coming off a 5 week break from matches with a little shooting to make sure the rifle was good just 2 days prior to the match. I look forward to going after it the rest of the season!