Thread: 12FV factory spring too heavy?

Basic Member

12FV factory spring too heavy?

New guy here! Like many of you, I picked up a 12Fv in 6.5 Creed.

Developed a nice load for it and I got my dope all set. I was pleasantly surprised with the accuracy. Hitting plates out to 1120 yesterday.

I haven't been in love with the amount of trigger tension required though. I set it to the lightest it will go, but still too heavy in my opinion. I don't have a trigger pull tool, but I'm guessing it's over 2 lbs. I'd like to get it to around 1.5 or 2 lbs tops.

Does the 12FV come with the varmint spring that supposedly goes down to 1.5 lbs or not? I see I can order them at the Gun Shack, but if it already has that spring then no point spending the money for an identical spring.....

Does anyone know? Thanks!

Basic Member
    I ordered them from Gun Shack and they were exactly the same as my 12 FV spring.

Basic Member
    What RP said...12 series already comes with the Varmint spring, believe it's a brownish color? I have ordered the springs and they are different than my Axis ones and work great there....but same as the 12FV.

I will say, if you adjust the spring *all* the way it will go the tail seems to stick out of the threaded part and I have to trim it so my stocks don't touch it and trip the sear.

Basic Member
    Optics Planet is offering 14% off on all triggers. I just ordered the Timney for my #12. (total cost shipped was $91)

Even without ANY springs in the trigger I couldn't get the pull under two pounds. And has terrible creap.

My Savage #11, hunting weight rifle has a fantastic trigger that easily went down to a few ounces with a spring change. I had to up the spring tension to get it to 1.75 pounds with zero creap.

I think the #12 has an improper inverse angle on the sear. I'll stone it and get it good, but the Timney trigger is so darn nice. Very easy to adjust and rock solid once set.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rbertalotto View Post
    Optics Planet is offering 14% off on all triggers. I just ordered the Timney for my #12. (total cost shipped was $91)

Even without ANY springs in the trigger I couldn't get the pull under two pounds. And has terrible creap.

My Savage #11, hunting weight rifle has a fantastic trigger that easily went down to a few ounces with a spring change. I had to up the spring tension to get it to 1.75 pounds with zero creap.

I think the #12 has an improper inverse angle on the sear. I'll stone it and get it good, but the Timney trigger is so darn nice. Very easy to adjust and rock solid once set.
    Weird, I just checked and the only one I could find was for $106???

106 - 14% = 91.16

Basic Member
    Just found the 14% off code. Wasn’t clear at a quick glance.
    Thanks for the heads up! Came to $89! No tax in OR.
    Thanks! Looking forward to testing it out.

The Timney should not be adjusted below 1.75 lbs or it can slam fire when closing the bolt very fast and hard. 2 lbs is safer yet.

I stoned and polished the trigger and sear on my brothers accutrigger (standard one) and can safely get it down to 1.25 lbs. But he doesn't like it any lighter than 1.75 lbs anyways.

I don't recommend stoning/polishing the trigger and sear unless you know what you are doing because you can easily make it unsafe with the wrong move.