Thread: Problems with 111 Trophy Hunter XP

Problems with 111 Trophy Hunter XP

Hey yall. New here but not new to Savages. I recently got a 111 Trophy Hunter in 300wm. This is my 3rd savage rifle. I took it to the range and did a quick sight in before taking it hunting a couple of hours later. When I got to the shooting house is when my problems started showing up.
    1: As I was sitting there I noticed several bare metal spots on my barrel. They arent big but there is not finish there. Im certain eventually these areas will rust. I didnt notice these blemishes when it arrived at my FFL. I probably should have inspected the rifle better before accepting the transfer so that one is on me. I do have a friend who has a trophy hunter in 308 who also has these finish issues. Wondering of anyone else does?
    2: Saw a small buck. Shot at him and missed. Cranked another round into the chamber. Click. No hit on the cartridge whatsoever. Cranked another one. Missed. He ran off. I know I had the scope on because I had JUST left the range. Got rhe gun back home and the scope rings had somehow worked themselves loose I guess during the 12 shots I had at the range. Torque issues at the factory? I didnt bump or drop it or anything.
    3: Removed the scope rings at home to check for loose bases and once I had the rings removed there was surface rust on my bases. This rifle was new in the box when I got it.

You can tell Ive had somewhat of a bad experience with this rifle so far. My other savages are fine. Anyone had any issues with their trophy hunters? And will savage help me get all this worked out?

Howdy. I purchased a M11 Trophy Hunter XP (.260 Rem) in the last few days of 2017. Haven't hunted with it yet; but the first thing I did was toss the aluminum rings and tighten/torque up the stock bases and then add Warne steel rings. The Nikon 3-9x40 BDC was OK, but I had a better Nikon 3-9x40 BDC AO Prostaff on hand and put that on.

I did not notice any spots on the finish. Mine seems to have a nice, consistent matte finish without flaw or blemish. Certainly no rust.

The only "doctoring" I have done is to remove some of the forend stock (left side) to get the forend clear of the barrel to "two business card" clearance from the barrel lock ring forward.
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

Welcome to the barrel nut.
    Perpetual Optimism is a force Multiplier....

Never trust a factory mounted optic. I have had so many of those you could loosen up by hand, They are not put on tightly at all and also covered in oil. First thing I do with a new rifle is strip it down and clean it up, then remount the bases with some blue lock tight on the screws and replace the rings with something higher quality.

Hey,
    back in 2009 I bought a ''package'' deal from CABELAS (Kanada). non- accu-trigger model 111 FCXP3 IN .300 WIN MAG.for just over $300 in Canadian funny money.
    Installed leupold vxII scope with leupold rings and basis. tack driver....lots of rain on the big island in fall hunting season and snow,below freezing in central and north B.C.
    Bit of red Loctite on the scope screws (Rings and basis) . 8 years and no problems.... also no rust anywhere. I pull the stock whenever WE get soaked!! had I known that the 111FCXP3 was such a GREAT DEAL I would have picked up another in .243.
    ser.#65#### so made in 2007-8.

Always re-torque all the screws. With red or blue locktite. Action screws at 45 inch pounds for magnums and 40 inch pounds for non-magnums.

I think the biggest problem in you scenario is that you did not give the guy a shakedown before taking it hunting. Buying a rifle hours before taking it hunting is almost a certain failure.

Welcome to the Forum and I'm sure if you call Savage about the bluing defects they'll make it right.

I have a 300wimag mod 111 pre-accutrigger model and it has the smoothest bolt action trow I've ever cycled on any gun, customs included.

Basic Member
    My new 111 300wm had the rings and mounts finger tight. I immediately sold the Bushnell scope and was expecting the screws to be loc tited and hard to break loose. Was surprised that they were literally finger tight...

Team Savage

Quote Originally Posted by stomp442 View Post
    Never trust a factory mounted optic. I have had so many of those you could loosen up by hand, They are not put on tightly at all and also covered in oil. First thing I do with a new rifle is strip it down and clean it up, then remount the bases with some blue lock tight on the screws and replace the rings with something higher quality.
    Dead on. I'd expect the rings to be loose, how would the factory know the new owner's eye relief and that's individual specific.

I bought a 111 in .270 same as mentioned finger tight on rings. Almost all Mfg's package deals lack something and this is where the trophy hunter does. Nikon bdc came on mine as well and after adjusting on the turrets it seemed like you had to hit with a sledge hammer to stop the crosshairs from jumping on the initial shot afterwards. Glass ,rings and bases were replaced.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk