Thread: 555 Promising

555 E, Promising

Last post or thread from 8/2/17
    Is there any love for this over and under shotguns from Stevens?
    Read a few thread about double firing, has this been resolved???
    Any other choice for a mid priced O/U and or semi-auto?? Thanks in advance.
    Perpetual Optimism is a force Multiplier....

Beuller.....Farris....???

No love for this thread or 555 Echo....Carry on folks

Very good gun for the money. The one I got in for review several years ago was bought by my neighbor for his son as a college graduation gift. He shoots sporting clays with somewhat regularly with no issues and frequently humbles guys shooting high dollar guns. Most who check it out are surprised by how light it is and how well it handles for a "cheap" O/U.

As for the doubles, I'm inclined to believe that's more a factor of shooter error than the gun itself. I had it happen to me once during my testing and it was clearly my fault for not having it pulled tightly to my shoulder when I fired the first shell. Ryan (who now owns it) had it happen to him once the first time he had it out and it was basically due to the same reason.

Only real complaint I had about it was the cheap looking and easily scratched finished. It almost looked like a very light spray finish rather than a molecular metal finish like bluing or parkerizing. Not sure if that's improved any since then, but that was my only real gripe.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Thanks for sharing, I never saw, touched, or looky looky at one, but I know Savage, in this case, Stevens generally makes good fire arms....not this case....I'm getting back in sporting Clay this summer as a bonus for the club shooting ranges...I may go back to my first choice...Browning Gold, Remington 1100 or 1187 or even a Winchester auto....Thoughts?

Any of the first three would serve you well. Don't know much about the new Winchester semi-autos, but know I never cared much for their pumps or auto's back when they were still made here. Of course I was weened on a Remington 870 Wingmaster so I might be a little biased. lol Still don't own a semi-auto myself, just pumps and a Browning BSS side-by-side 20ga. Had a 1100 for a short time, but it had a 14.5" LOP and didn't fit me very well so I ended up trading it towards a new Winchester 1873 Short Rifle.

Feel a few out in the store and see how they fit you. Bring it up to shoulder with your eyes closed, then open and see if you're eye is properly aligned with the rib. When it comes to shotgunning fit is more important than anything else.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post
    Any of the first three would serve you well. Don't know much about the new Winchester semi-autos, but know I never cared much for their pumps or auto's back when they were still made here. Of course I was weened on a Remington 870 Wingmaster so I might be a little biased. lol Still don't own a semi-auto myself, just pumps and a Browning BSS side-by-side 20ga. Had a 1100 for a short time, but it had a 14.5" LOP and didn't fit me very well so I ended up trading it towards a new Winchester 1873 Short Rifle.

Feel a few out in the store and see how they fit you. Bring it up to shoulder with your eyes closed, then open and see if you're eye is properly aligned with the rib. When it comes to shotgunning fit is more important than anything else.
    Thanks again for your feedback...I once own a beautiful Browning Gold Sporting and sold it due to riding Harley Davidson every weekend....Love to have that one back....anyway, fit and feel is important, looking at a Remington V-3 sport and Versa max due to my price point....Good advice on Winchester....I have a 870 magnum that I treasure for field hunting, perfect shotgun.

Still have the HD

For sporting clays you definitely don't want a 555. They are very light weight. I had a 410 and could not shoot it well at all because of the light weight. A buddy has a 20ga 555 and it is very light too. Any of the autos you mentioned would be a much better choice. I shoot with Remington 1100/ 11-87 in 12, 20, and 28, browning 2000 12ga, browning a-500 12ga, and a ruger 20ga red label. They are hard to beat and I shoot them very good. I also just bought a browning silver 20 for my daughter and it shoot great too. After researching guns for her I found the Winchester SX3, browning silver and browning gold are essentially the same guns with minor cosmetic changes to the receivers. I can say my next 12ga would be a browning silver sporting or a sx3 sporting model.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by penna shooter View Post
    Thanks for sharing, I never saw, touched, or looky looky at one, but I know Savage, in this case, Stevens generally makes good fire arms....not this case....I'm getting back in sporting Clay this summer as a bonus for the club shooting ranges...I may go back to my first choice...Browning Gold, Remington 1100 or 1187 or even a Winchester auto....Thoughts?
    Sorry for the thread necromongering but I HAD to reply when you mentioned the browning gold....

If you plan to run less tham 30,000 rounds through the gun it will work just fine. If you go beyond that, have a backup ready as you pass 20,000.... Mom and I used to shoot sporting clays competitively and hers not only became unreliable so did the backup browning gold. And our experience was not singular. Cory Kruse used to shoot one as did Andy Duffy at one time. All crashed and burned with enough rounds doen the tube.

The remingtin 1100 / 1187 wont wear out as quickly but it will break parts with some regularity. Namely the gas rungs and such. As long as you keep parts handy it should last a very very long time.

My personal preference for autos is Beretta's 303, 390, 391, all of which I have used and will last 80,000 to 100,000 rounds before the receiver becomes worn....

And whilst I have never used a stevens555 the first thing that comes to mind whem yall mention "light" is ungodly recoil....Ruger Red labels are notorious for this due to their light weight. (I own one - fully blued receiver in 12ga). Having said that I DO was a Gold Label.....lol

Either way if youre still on here, Id love to know what deciscion you made. :)

Steve Nelson
    NSCA 508189

Mine is a great field gun. Light and dependable. Never had any doubling. It's bit light for trap. 50 birds...maybe. 75...not me. LOL Bt an excellent shotgun in performance and fit and finish. Highly recommended.
    Cheers! Warren