Thread: New Nikon scope won’t fit

New Nikon scope won’t fit

Haven’t hunted in several years so my wife gave me a new Savage Axis 308 for Christmas. She also gave me a new Nikon 3-9x40 BDC scope. The rifle came with a two piece scope base. When my father in law went to mount the scope, he said that the new scope appeared shorter than he was use to Nikons being and it would not fit because there was no adjustments in the scope mount base that came on the rifle. I know that a one piece base can be purchased and replaced but he doesn’t have the proper torx head to remove the screws. My question is do you have suggestions on how to mount the scope without changing the factory base and what size torx bit does it take to remove the factory base. Thanks
    Last edited by Dmac656; 01-21-2018 at 04:12 PM. Reason: Left words out

Basic Member
    Mine came with Allan heads in the bases

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    T15 is very common in rings and bases tho

Basic Member
    Harbor freight has a decent set of lifetime warranty torx sockets for like $12

Basic Member
    Extension rings. Weaver has 'em.

Welcome to the Barrel Nut
    Perpetual Optimism is a force Multiplier....

I’ll look into that

Get a one piece base that will fix it for any scope.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wbm View Post
    Get a one piece base that will fix it for any scope.
    Agree, this is what I done as well..

What is the proper bit for removing the factory bases? Want to make sure I use the proper one. Don’t want to mess it up.

T-15 is the common Torx size for rings and bases. Also note you can flip the bases around to change the ring spacing (I don't recall what the Savage bases used for screw sockets).

For hunting and fat fingers (or gloves) I like two-piece bases for the added clearance under the scope, but one piece steel are stronger and will give you more ring spacing choices. Aluminum one piece? Meh.

Savage puts steel bases on, though. Those are worth keeping IMHO. I put Warne rings on mine.
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

I had the same problem with the 2 piece bases. I couldn't find anyone that had the 1 piece Weaver base in stock. I put a 1 piece from EABCO on my Axis .223. My factory installed bases had Allen heads in them. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpkiller View Post
    T-15 is the common Torx size for rings and bases. Also note you can flip the bases around to change the ring spacing (I don't recall what the Savage bases used for screw sockets).

For hunting and fat fingers (or gloves) I like two-piece bases for the added clearance under the scope, but one piece steel are stronger and will give you more ring spacing choices. Aluminum one piece? Meh.

Savage puts steel bases on, though. Those are worth keeping IMHO. I put Warne rings on mine.
    I dont know how a two piece system will help a closed top action??? And if you want more scope options you need a picatinny rail...

OP this is the part number you need from Weaver, I am going through the same thing with my kids Axis. Am ordering as I couldnt find any on hand at the local places.
    Weaver Multi Slot Savage Axis Rifle Scope Base System - 48347

Basic Member
    When I bought an Axis late last spring it didn't have any bases installed from the factory. I bought some Talley lightweight one piece bases/rings and when I went to install them I found one of the screw holes wasn't completely tapped so I sent the rifle back to Savage.
    They eventually fixed it and to my dismay installed two piece bases, which I promptly removed and installed the Talley rings. I have a Zeiss Terra 3x9 on it now.