Thread: Zero stop for the Sightron SIII & STAC

Zero stop for the Sightron SIII & STAC

Just found out that someone has started making a Zero stop for some of the Sightron line. $16.00 shipped (within the US)

With the new turret caps and the Zero stop, All the short coming of the Sightron SIII have been remedied.

https://zer-ostop.com/shop?olsPage=p...5mm-zer-o-stop

Just an FYI for my fellow Sightron fans.

Edit: Sorry, zero stop for SIII only... STAC just has covered turrets.

Basic Member
    Installing a zero stop in a scope not having one isn't a big deal.
    When i bought my Nightforce from Bruce Baer, who is a stocking Nightforce dealer, i had 2 options for the zero stop.
    #1 buy a scope having the factory zero stop, which as i recall was about a $200 option.
    #2 have Bruce install his version for $30, and he claimed having installed lots of them with the full knowledge of Nightforce.
    He removed the cap, drilled and tapped it for a small allen head with a plastic tip. When the scope is zeroed, rotate the loose knob till
    the zero is at the right spot. Then (very softly) snug the allen head down till it stops.
    Ive had several friends send him the cap only to install one.
    He will only do Nightforce, but theres no reason the same thing cant be done with other scopes.
    Be aware that most zero stops wont stop exactly on zero. You will likely be a few clicks one side or the other of the exact zero.
    There is yet another version that works well for at least most casual shooters and hunters.
    It's called know where zero is, and then pay attention. lol
    It's not uncommon for hunters to forget returning the scope back to the zero setting after shooting at an animal.
    And if it's not noticed, another opportunity at a shot means compounded elevation in the scope.
    Years ago most l/r hunters were using target scopes with external micrometer adjustments because that's all there was.
    I was using a Unertle 2" ultra varmit model 15x on a custom Hart actioned heavy bench gun.
    I had checked the zero at 100 yds prior to the season, and made sure the elevation and windage knobs were set on zero.
    We didn't fire that gun until late in the second week of the season. Fortunatly a very observative spotter friend after my third miss said, (the bullet
    went right past my glasses,) you've got to be a whole rev off on windage. And i was in fact a whole rev off on windage for the entire season until then. Seems my son had noticed a mistake after i had zeroed the gun and fixed it for me. lol
    But would it have made any difference if it had Zero stop?

I don't know if would help you. But I know one helps me, because I do forget to dial in back after the first shot. that way when I for get if it was 20 MOA or 30 MOA i ran up, doesn't matter.... dial down till it stops, zero it, and dope for the next, it's called efficiency.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SageRat Shooter View Post
    I don't know if would help you. But I know one helps me, because I do forget to dial in back after the first shot. that way when I for get if it was 20 MOA or 30 MOA i ran up, doesn't matter.... dial down till it stops, zero it, and dope for the next, it's called efficiency.
    That works well, and for many it will work just as well as a zero stop, especially if your zero is close to the bottom of the dial.
    I have often placed a pc of masking tape on the scope as a reminder how far from the bottom zero is.
    Actually dialing is simply a means to an end, and if you can get there without doing it, your probably better off in the long run.
    Its a novel idea and fun to do, but not always necessary for many of us.
    It's also time consuming and takes your attention away from the target.
    When hunting, that could be the time when you will get the only good opportunity for a shot. Coulda, Shoulda, Woulda. lol
    Mistakes happen, and they happen to all of us at some point. But they are far more apt to happen when our excitement level is elevated.
    For most hunting, i would recommend having an easy to use reticle having references, and learn what distance they will work with that gun.
    And then use that as a primary source of aiming when hunting, at least for the closer long range shots.
    Know the gun and scope, and stay in touch with some occasional practice. Like shooting at prairie dogs, at rocks on hillsides, or whatever is available.

This one isn't my hunting rifle scope. This is my steel shooter, prairie dog (sage rat), coyote and any other varmint buster. If I were to use it for hunting deer or elk, I'd just zero at 200 yards, and just hold off. I don't shoot deer or elk out past that where I hunt anyway. Unless i draw a tag for Wide open, high desert Mule deer, (it might get used for a hunt like that), but where I hunt most often, 145 yards is the farthest shot I've ever had the opportunity to even take. Every other one has been in thick brush or trees. My 30-06 is my hunting rifle with a standard duplex Leupold 4-12 VX-2.

Don't have time to be messing with dials when your hiking in the dead fall.

My stop showed up yesterday and I got it installed. Had to sand the inner dimension as well as the height... go SLOW!! it doesn't take much to make it fit... good to go now though.

Basic Member
    I used a piece of pvc pipe worked great

My Vortex Viper HSLR came with factory CRS...Big fan of Zero stop, so far been spot on accurate....Tracking well too....Not a night force by any means, but gets the job done....
    Perpetual Optimism is a force Multiplier....

Quote Originally Posted by ericsl2 View Post
    I bought a variety of rubber o rings from the hardware store. Found the one that fit closest to my zero. I dial down until I hit the o ring, the dial up about 3/4 moa to where the turret has been reset to align with 0. Total cost 75 cents.
    That was a good idea... Dang, I wish I would have thought of that!

Quote Originally Posted by ericsl2 View Post
    Only down side to o rings is they won't be as precise as sanding down a harder material. I wish sightron would just make zero stop an option!
    I hear ya on that. The zero stop and the turrets were the only down side to the Sightron IMO. Both have been remedied now. the one I got is pretty darn slick. I got a little too aggressive with my sanding of the stop, so my stop goes about 4 MOA below my zero. Not a huge deal, but I may get another one just to make it a little more exact. Works fine as is though.