Thread: Burris signature question.

Burris signature question.

Hi, I have a question for anyone who has used the Burris xtr signature rings. I'm going to sight in my 10 stealth this weekend and I have a set on my vortex hts. There isn't much info on sighting in with them. I have the -20 insert up front with 0 in back. Do I hope that my first group is high so that I can dial down to it thus opening up more up moa adjustments? Should I only worry about shimming the rear left or right towards impact if it's 5-20 inches or 3 inches or more like the instructions say? There are not many videos on YouTube actually doing a sight in. Thanks in advance.

Though I don't mount my scopes with "cant" the first thing I would do would be to bore sight it.
    Pull the bolt and secure the rifle by putting it in a rest, a cradle or on bags, then look down the bore centering it up on a distant object. The further the object the better. You should see concentric rings of light reflecting down the bore indicating center. Then adjust the crosshairs to the object in the center of the bore. Look back and forth a few times and make adjustments to get it right.
    Then put the bolt in it and take a shot. Should be on the paper and if you did it right pretty close.

After you take your shot, set up in the rest as if to shoot the bullseye again and move the crosshairs to the bullet hole.
    If done correctly you should be zeroed or very very close. Take a few more shots to confirm and make any minor adjustments.
    Hope I just saved you some ammo.
    Good luck BHJ
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Basic Member
    I have the Burris XTR Signature rings, Burris HST LR FF, EGW 0 base. I have a combination of 30 moa inserts. I was lucky, I did not need to move the inserts to correct left or right on the rear. I would start out centered, take the supplied torx wrench with you to the range. The inserts are easy to move when you loosen the cap if you need to. After using them the XTR Signature rings are very nice. Don't forget 4.75 center ring spacing like their chart says. If you can't get 4.75 with your base just use their chart. I got the 4.75 on mine with the EGW base with no problem.

Did your gun shoot high with the 30 moa? I thought the whole point was to use up most of your down elevation so you would have most of your up for dialing? Sorry I'm new to the long range. I'm used to 400 and in with my 22-250 and ground hogs.

Basic Member
    With 30 moa of inserts my gun shot exactly where I wanted it- 100 yard zero was just a few clicks from the bottom of reticle travel. I needed all the elevation I could dial for 1000 yards and beyond. The MOA LR reticle is good for a lot of elevation after you are out of turret adjustment. Some of the guys are using adjustable bases also.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by big honkin jeep View Post
    Though I don't mount my scopes with "cant" the first thing I would do would be to bore sight it.
    Pull the bolt and secure the rifle by putting it in a rest, a cradle or on bags, then look down the bore centering it up on a distant object. The further the object the better. You should see concentric rings of light reflecting down the bore indicating center. Then adjust the crosshairs to the object in the center of the bore. Look back and forth a few times and make adjustments to get it right.
    Then put the bolt in it and take a shot. Should be on the paper and if you did it right pretty close.

After you take your shot, set up in the rest as if to shoot the bullseye again and move the crosshairs to the bullet hole.
    If done correctly you should be zeroed or very very close. Take a few more shots to confirm and make any minor adjustments.
    Hope I just saved you some ammo.
    Good luck BHJ
    Your cheating, lol
    You have just described the old 1 shot zero method of zeroing.
    So would the same thing work for dialing a scope from a missed hit on an animal, to a hit on the animal on a follow up shot?
    Take that bet every time, because it will, regardless of the type scope, so long as it has a dial.
    But, next time you bore site that way, insert a pc of brass with the primer removed into the chamber first.
    It will reduce the size of the hole, especially with larger diameter bores, and make the process more precise.
    One of those small orange target dots to aim at makes it easier also.