Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: American Rifle Company Releases the Nucleus! Another Savage Pre-fit Compatible Custom!

Basic Member

American Rifle Company Releases the Nucleus! Another Savage Pre-fit Compatible Custom!

http://www.americanrifle.com/product...dable-deposit/

Nucleus
    • Proudly engineered and manufactured in the USA
    • Three toroidal locking lugs (no lapping required)
    • Controlled-round feed extractor
    • Controllable Springfield inertial ejection
    • Exceptionally smooth
    • Corrosion resistant black nitride finish
    • Three anti-bind rails
    • Interchangeable bolt heads
    • Dual cocking cams
    • 100% cock on opening
    • Integral bolt handle
    • Ergonomic interchangeable bolt knobs
    • Savage small shank pre-fit compatible barrel thread
    • Keyed recoil lug, pinning not required
    • Interchangeable scope mounting rails
    • 062 inch diameter firing pin tip for small and large primers
    • Adjustable firing pin protrusion
    • Compatible with Rem 700 triggers
    • Compatible with Rem 700 stocks and chassis
    • Weight: Short action 2.1 lbs. | Long action 2.4 lbs.

Barrel interface: The barrel thread specification for Nucleus is 1.063 – 20 UN 2B making it compatible with many off-the-shelf barrels such as Savage small-shank pre-fits. Conventionally threaded and shouldered barrels can also be used with the Nucleus. The distance from the bolt face to the forward face of the recoil lug is 0.825 +/-0.001 inches.

Bolt:
    The Nucleus uses a bolt that is machined from a single piece steel and subsequently heat treated for strength. It has an integral handle making it practically impossible to break off. The bolt knob interface for the Nucleus is the same as that of the Mausingfield and unique to American Rifle Company. An integral cylindrical shaft extends through the knob thus maximizing strength.

Bolt Head:
    (Patented and patent pending) The Nucleus uses an interchangeable bolt head featuring three Toroidal locking lugs, each having an anti-bind slot that engages three corresponding anti-bind rails machined into the receiver using a wire EDM. The toroidal locking lugs bear against a spherical surface within the receiver thus obviating the need for lapping the bolt to the receiver. Bolt heads are available for the 223 Remington, the 300 Win Mag, and everything in between including the 224 Valkyrie and the 6.5 Swede.

Bolt Knobs:
    The Nucleus is designed for use with American Rifle Company’s proprietary bolt knobs that are ergonomically designed for enhanced control of the bolt while cycling the action. Learn more about why American Rifle Company’s bolt knobs are designed as they are and about their intended use by clicking here.

Bolt Manipulation:
    Cycling the Nucleus requires rotating the bolt by 72 degrees which is approximately the maximum possible without seriously compromising primary extraction. Dual cocking cams are used to increase cocking efficiency thus minimizing the force required to cock the action. The nucleus is 100% cock-on-opening. When the bolt is open, the placement of the bolt knob positions the hand well clear of the scope for unobstructed rearward and forward movement.

Bolt Shroud:
    The Nucleus uses a flanged bolt shroud like that of the Mauser 98 in that its flange obstructs the flow of rearward moving gases and particles resulting from over pressure events and case head separations. Additionally, a spring-loaded locking pin like those of the Mausingfield and Mauser 98 prevents accidental rotation of the shroud with respect to the bolt when open and retracted. The locking pin obviates the need for detents at the aft end of the bolt which adversely affect the smoothness of the bolt cycle.

Bolt Stop:
    Substantial in size, the bolt stop of the Nucleus is extremely rugged and dependable. It is not pinned to the receiver. Instead, the bolt stop itself is a large pin that obstructs the 12 o’clock lug of the bolt head and transfers loads directly into the receiver. It will prove to be among the most rugged bolt stops ever used in bolt action rifles, on par with those of the Mauser 98 and the 1903 Springfield. Bolt removal is easy. Simply retract the bolt, rotate the bolt stop by 180 degrees, and remove the bolt. The bolt stop can only be rotated when the bolt is fully retracted thus preventing accidental removal. The center of mass of the bolt is located to prevent rotation under the high accelerations of recoil. Lastly, the forces associated with the bolt striking the bolt stop drive the bolt stop into engagement with the receiver.

Ejector:
    The Nucleus uses an ejector that is very similar to that used in the Model 1903 Springfield—a compact, hardened-steel ejector freely pivoting on a high-strength steel pin. It is located at the aft end of the receiver, well away from the breech where the blast resulting from an overpressure event or a case head failure would be most intense. The momentum of the rearward-moving bolt forces the ejector to pivot into engagement with the case head through a slot in the bolt face. The Springfield ejector also enables the shooter to control the intensity of the ejection process. It is the same ejector used in our Mausingfield bolt action and we encourage you to learn more about the ejector by clicking here.

Extractor:
    (Patent Pending) The Nucleus uses a claw type extractor which offers controlled-round feeding functionality while cooperating with the three-lug bolt design. It is well suited for cartridges ranging in size from the short 6mm Dasher all the way up to long magnums. Conceptually, its design is like that the famous Mauser 98 claw extractor in that it can engage the case head without the use additional springs or plungers. Instead, a compliant tail provides the spring force necessary for engaging the case head. The extractor is trapped between the bolt head and the bolt obviating the need for small pins. During extraction, the extractor slides forward to engage an undercut in the bolt head thus preventing accidental disengagement of the case head. The extractor of the Nucleus is an excellent example of an American Rifle Company comprehensive and highly engineered solution.

Magazine Compatibility:
    The Nucleus is compatible with American Rifle Company’s ARC mag, the Accuracy International CS mags (AI CS), Accurate mags like those from Accuracy International, and Alpha mags. It is not compatible with the Accuracy International’s AW mag.

Metallurgy:
    The Nucleus is made from high strength alloy steel. It is not made from stainless steel. The Nucleus undergoes a salt bath nitride finishing process to harden and blacken its surfaces. The resulting finish effectively resists corrosion and reduces friction thus enhancing the smoothness of the action.

Recoil Lug:
    (Patent Pending) The Nucleus has an innovative recoil lug that does not require pinning to maintain proper orientation with respect to the receiver during barrel installation. Instead, proper orientation is easily maintained by a tab which extends upwards from the top of the recoil lug and engages a slot cut into the bottom of scope mounting rail. The recoil lug is made from hardened steel and has a corrosion resistant, black nitride finish. Its thickness is 0.185 +/-0.0001 inches.

Scope Mounting Rail:
    Made from 7075 aluminum alloy, the rail has a black, hard-coat anodized finish. It is attached to the receiver using five high strength, 410 stainless steel, 8-36 screws. The overall length of the screws is 0.375 inches. The screws have conical heads (82° included angle) that engage conical bores within the rails thus establishing an over-constrained condition which effectively prevents any movement between the rail and the receiver. Additionally, the underside of the rail engages the cylindrical body of the receiver in a manner that effectively, and redundantly, prevents yaw. This solution ensures reliably, scope mounting choices, and economy. Rails are offered in 25 and 45 MOA inclinations.

Stock and Chassis Interface:
    The Nucleus is generally compatible with stocks and chassis designed for use with the Remington 700 and its clones. The bolt stop of the Nucleus is located near the top of the receiver and is therefore well clear of all stocks and chassis except for tubular chassis such as the Eliseo.

Striker Assembly:
    (Patent Pending) The Nucleus uses a dual cocking cam striker assembly for enhanced cocking efficiency thus reducing the effort required to cock the action. The 0.062 inch diameter striker (firing pin) tip reduces the likelihood of piercing small rifle primers. Adjustable tip protrusion from the bolt face is made possible by an interlocking nut and washer that also serves as the abutment for the striker spring. The striker is connected to the cocking piece by a thread. Complete passage of the striker through the cocking piece is prevented by a head at the aft end of the striker. Additionally, disassembly of the bolt assembly is facilitated by a threaded hole in the aft end of the striker into which a screw may be inserted to hold the striker in the rearward position against the main spring force. When the screw is in place, the striker assembly can easily be unscrewed and removed for the bolt assembly.

Trigger Interface:
    The Nucleus is compatible with aftermarket triggers designed for the Remington 700 and its clones. If possible, triggers should be purchased without the bolt stop releases. The Nucleus does not use a trigger hanger.
    Weight 4 lbs
    Dimensions 13 x 7 x 4 in
    Action Length Short (2.94" mag length), Long (3.78" length mag length)
    Hand Right, Left
    Bolt Face 0.380" (i.e. 223 Rem), 0.420" (i.e. 224 Valkyrie), 0.475" (i.e. 308 Win), 0.535" (i.e. 300 Win Mag)
    Scope Rail Inclination 20 MOA (5.8 mrad), 30 MOA (8.7 mrad), 45 MOA (13 mrad)

Basic Member
    Plus it seems affordable, in custom action terms. Wish them every success. Seems well thought out.

Check out the photos by clicking on the first one. Scroll down to get the whole picture and then toggle the arrows to view them all. The attention to detail and the engineering concepts are pretty amazing. Ted is at the front of the pack.

Im a fan...
    Perpetual Optimism is a force Multiplier....

Basic Member
    I put a deposit down on one of these several days ago,I can't wait for it to get made.

I'm thinking of doing a 22 Creedmoor yote killer with it!

Basic Member

Kinda long video but Ted goes through his action in great detail.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Basic Member
    You have to remember the reason Ted talks so much is because he's trying to bring his thoughts down to our level! Dude is a Genius as far as mechanical engineering goes!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    You have to remember the reason Ted talks so much is because he's trying to bring his thoughts down to our level! Dude is a Genius as far as mechanical engineering goes!
    I talked to him on the phone when he first came out with the Mausingfield action. Once he starts talking he doesn't stop.
    He's really smart, and I was amazed by some of the things he talked to me about.

If guys want the best scope rings made, he makes them. I have two sets of them on my 34mm and 40mm tubed scopes.

Well I broke down and ordered one this morning. I figure that at the discounted price if I never get around to using it I can resell it and make some money, or if nothing else at least not take a loss. lol

Was tempted to go with the magnum bolt head to do a 6.5 PRC build, but stuck with the .475" size since it's so much more versatile cartridge-wise. Plus I already have everything on-hand (barrel, dies, brass and bullets) for a 6x47 Lapua build that never happened last year.

Crap, now I'm gonna have to start shopping around for Remington compatible parts...
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post
    Well I broke down and ordered one this morning. I figure that at the discounted price if I never get around to using it I can resell it and make some money, or if nothing else at least not take a loss. lol

Was tempted to go with the magnum bolt head to do a 6.5 PRC build, but stuck with the .475" size since it's so much more versatile cartridge-wise. Plus I already have everything on-hand (barrel, dies, brass and bullets) for a 6x47 Lapua build that never happened last year.

Crap, now I'm gonna have to start shopping around for Remington compatible parts...
    I'm proud of you Jim! I think it's going to be hard for you to pick another rifle to take to the range after you get it together. Hit me up if you need any parts. I have a few things laying around!

Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    I'm proud of you Jim! I think it's going to be hard for you to pick another rifle to take to the range after you get it together. Hit me up if you need any parts. I have a few things laying around!
    I dunno, there's no lever on it and we all know how much I love my lever guns. haha
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post

If you ever do get around to selling it, especially if it's left handed, I might be tempted to take it off your hands
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Basic Member
    I put a deposit down as soon as I saw these. I had a chance to spend a couple hours shooting with Ted from ARC a while back and he's quite the character. The buddy I was with couldn't stand Ted, said he just wouldn't shut up. I love when an engineer is really passionate about his design and that really shows with all the ARC products.

The plan is to build an all purpose hunting rifle with this action. I like to use CRF actions on my hunting guns (no good reason, I just like them) so I need something to fill the ballistic gap between my CZ 527 in 6.5 Grendel and the Ruger Hawkeye Alaskan in 375 Ruger. I've had a reamer drawn up for a slightly modified 270/375 Ruger that I call the 270 Boondoggle and this seems like the perfect platform. I may have a second barrel cut for a 30 caliber based on the same case design. I think I'll throw it all together in a Joel Russo sporter stock cut out of bubinga and some Curtis Custom bottom metal and it should be a pretty nice package.

Basic Member
    Sounds like an appropriate name to me Yorkey, lol.
    I have to tell you that a CZ, and a Ruger Hawkeye were the worst shooting guns i ever had the DISpleasure of owning.
    But i did like the actions on both of them. Notice i said did. lol

Anybody get theirs yet?

Basic Member
    I have noticed that they are available for ordering now.

Looks top notch! Am man can dream.
    In to hear ya all reviews.

Basic Member
    I’d like to hear reports as well, I put my deposit down the first day they started taking orders again. They said it would be approx 4 months from order date and they would be filled in the order they were received.

This will be my first build on a custom action so the wait is already killing me. Any of the January guys jump in and tell me you’ve had yours for months so I feel better!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    I've got a few reports from my community and they have all been highly positive. Many are using it in conjunction with the Barloc with either the Barloc nut and a prefit or a barrel shouldered to function with the Barloc itself. Everything is looking very good on this actions release.

Last I contacted them (mid May) I was told the pre-order response was a LOT bigger than they had anticipated and that they were just about ready to start shipping. I didn't put my order in until a few days before the January 31st cutoff date so I'm pretty far down the list and at that time was told 2-3 months which would be any time now. Haven't gotten a call or email about providing them a FFL for shipping yet, so...

As for the Barloc, I looked at it and watched a video of someone installing a barrel with it. The biggest problem I see with it is that many rail manufacturers are making their rails with extensions out over the recoil lug & barrel nut which would cause a fitment issue. Also, for $150 a pop I can live with the hassle of having to pull my scope to swap barrels with a wrench and conventional nut - especially when you consider that it's a good idea to always pull or at least loosen the front base screws to prevent the possibility of buggering up your barrel shank threads during removal.

Basic Member
    So you are saying when I put my order in on July 7th and the website said delivery will be approx 4 months from order date, I should probably not count on that?

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper99 View Post
    So you are saying when I put my order in on July 7th and the website said delivery will be approx 4 months from order date, I should probably not count on that?

Not at all...

It was made clear when they setup the pre-order in Dec. or January that production wasn't going to begun until April. From what I can gather that got pushed back a few weeks to a month which isn't that uncommon with a brand new product, and naturally that delay pushed back delivery. Compound that delay with the huge number of pre-orders they got and naturally it's going to cause delays.

Mind you, I'm not complaining as I still need to figure out what I want to do for a stock and bottom metal for it. I was just curious if anyone else here who had ordered one had gotten theirs yet.

Basic Member
    I do appreciate that when they hit a speed bump they stopped taking orders and posted on their website that they would begin taking orders again when they could responsibly do so. The also said that orders would be filled in the order they were received and I put mine in within hours of them re-opening orders.

I’m just terrible at waiting!!!

Basic Member
    The first batch was all RH actions,the second batch should be shipped some time this month,and I'm hoping that my LH SA will be one of them. I also ordered a Barloc for Savage pre-fit barrels,it was only $50 if you ordered it with the action.

The action is all I'm waiting on,I have everything else setting on the bench waiting to be assembled!

Finally got my action yesterday. Still need to get a stock for it though, and since I just sent a check off to cover the purchase of the 110 Tactical I just reviewed the stocks going to have to wait until the gun fund is replenished.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast