Thread: This is the death of my Savages.

This is the death of my Savages.

http://www.x-caliber.net/tikka-t3-pre-fit-barrel

Since discovering Tikka I have been thinning the Savage herd. The absolute smooth bolt with the 70 degree throw won me over. The Savages have served their purpose for sure and I learned an immense amount about rifles playing around with them. I down to 3 savage centerfire rifles and not sure how much longer they will be around.

Tikka now with XCaliber pre-fits! Can't wait for the next XCaliber sale!!

Cant argue with that.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Little higher cost of entry for the Tikka game, but definitely a smoother action. I still kick myself in the butt for not buying the left-hand one in .222 Remington that I saw on GunBroker a few years back.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Tikka manufactures fine rifles. A friend of mine hunts with one in .270 and swears by it- I can certainly see why.

There was a sale yesterday

Basic Member
    My Tikka .308 light rifle recoil would kick the teeth out of a mule at 20 paces, (that's with me shooting it). But it preformed and it was smooth.

Banned
    I have a 11 trophy hunter 6.5 creed and a tikka t3x compact 7mm-08 the SAVAGE is more accurate and in my opinion much better safe the tikka seems to be a much better rifle overall including the stock and the polished barrel the triggers are very close

Basic Member
    I’ve really tried to like the Tikka. I went into SW on Monday with every intention of buying both of the LH Superlites they have, 6.5CM and .308. But I just can’t. $800 for something Ruger is selling for $400 is all I can think of when I hold and look at one of them. I’m sure they are a fine rifle but they just don’t call to me like the real Sako’s do.

I am with you on the price being high for Tikka. I would not pay $800-$1000 for just a hunting model. I do have a new Tac A1 though but got deal on gunbroker. I have patience and hunt down used ones on gunbroker.

Basic Member
    I'm not sure where y'all are finding new Tikka rifles for $800. I regularly see them for $630 not on sale (www.whittakersguns.com and other websites). Granted, those are the blued models in synthetic stocks.

$630 for a gun with a 1 MOA guarantee, smooth bolt, and decent trigger sounds pretty good to me. There's a growing aftermarket for Tikka rifles too.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Apollo117 View Post
    I'm not sure where y'all are finding new Tikka rifles for $800. I regularly see them for $630 not on sale (www.whittakersguns.com and other websites). Granted, those are the blued models in synthetic stocks.

$630 for a gun with a 1 MOA guarantee, smooth bolt, and decent trigger sounds pretty good to me. There's a growing aftermarket for Tikka rifles too.
    The most common, and second least expensive behind the Hunter models, Tikkas are the T3x "Lite" models ($679 list) with a light weight barrel. The CTR with the heavy 20" barrel lists at $999. Varmint models with the heavy barrels are available in limited calibers. Top of the line T3x TAC A1 lists at $1799.

The Lite models are fine for hunting, but apparently not as consistent for long range target work.

http://gunivore.com/rifle/tikka-t3x-review/

Basic Member
    @jkv45 thanks for your reply. I'm familiar with Tikkas. I've got two T3x Lites and a T3 Superlite.

I agree that the Lites aren't the best option for a long range or benchrest gun. The CTR or TAC1 on the other hand are excellent long range or benchrest guns. They get even better if you swap the factory Tikka barrel with an aftermarket barrel that has a faster twist rate to handle heavier bullets.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Apollo117 View Post
    @jkv45 thanks for your reply. I'm familiar with Tikkas. I've got two T3x Lites and a T3 Superlite.

I agree that the Lites aren't the best option for a long range or benchrest gun. The CTR or TAC1 on the other hand are excellent long range or benchrest guns. They get even better if you swap the factory Tikka barrel with an aftermarket barrel that has a faster twist rate to handle heavier bullets.
    Sorry - I didn't mean to sound like I was trying to educate you - you obviously know your Tikkas!