Thread: 7-08 for the wife

Basic Member

7-08 for the wife

I am looking for a ss with wood in 7-08 for my wife. Anyone had experience with the Savage lw hunter or the Vanguard Camille? I prefer SS and wood but not written in stone. Thanks Daniel sorry I just noticed I put this post in wrong forum.

If it's for deer I would go with the 243win. Much less recoil than the 7mm08 and just as deadly on deer. Lots more factory ammo choices in every store.
    If hunting bigger meat than deer, the 7mm08 is the better choice obviously.

I don't think Savage offers Stainless barreled actions in wood stocks.

The Lightweight hunter is a good rifle but the Lady Hunter might be a better choice for a "Lady".

My experience with the Weatherby Vanguard is that they're accurate.

Basic Member
    I have a model 11 light weight hunter in 243 and it is deadly on whitetails. I'd also suggest the 260 Rem. which in my opinion is also a great caliper for whitetails and also available in the light weight hunter.

Basic Member
    don't discount the 6.5 creedmoor. it's the new 7mm-08. a lot of support coming to the cartridge.

as for wood and stainless I cant think of anything from savage like that. if you can live with a laminate you can buy the ss action of your choice then drop it into a boyd's stock for a decent price. they also offer walnut for a premium. or find a takeoff stock to drop it into.

I want to say Tikka offers stainess in wood stocks. not cheap but very nice rifles.

I was set myself to pick up a 7mm-08 for whitetail but this poor, dusty and neglected .260 Model 11 was sitting on the rack at the gun shop . . . and the 7mm-08 I would have had to order, and that would have been outside the $100 rebate period. Plus I'll shoot one or two whitetail a year but LOTS of paper and varmints. And it was the proper 1:8" twist. (Have I justified this, yet?)

If you don't reload then the 6.5 Creedmoor is the way to go. If you do reload the .260 Rem slightly edges the 6.5CM in case capacity; but they are about ientical by the time a bullet is seated. The SAAMI pressure of the CM is rated higher; though manufactures don't push it to those levels. You have to dink around with bullet seating with the .260 to get the best of the 140gr and heavier/longer bullets. The Creedmoor may be able to take the 156 gr Norma Oryx or Vulkan or Alaskan, but I've never seen them listed as a load. The Scandanavians have great success on moose with that load (Oryx) in the .260 Rem.

But if you're not finding what you want in a 7mm-08 there is slim chance you'll come across one in .260 Rem. The 6.5 Creedmoor is moving up with a bullet . . .as they say.

Of all the 6.5mm/.264" breed the 6.5x47mm Lapua is probably the best and most efficient. But they are all so close as to be negligible difference to the deer at 250 yards.
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

Basic Member
    Thanks Guys, The wife has shoot a 7-08 for several years but gave it to her son this year for Christmas. Now she is shooting a 7x57 Mauser but I have been given instructions to replace the 7-08 given to the son. I have been trying to locate a Savage lady Hunter, a Vanguard Camille, or a Tikka Forest or Hunter but no luck so far. I am open to any other rifle brands suggestions just remember the rifle is for a women. BTW thanks to whoever put my original post in this correct forum.

Team Savage

Bought my wife a 110 chambered for 7-08 in either '86 or '87 and she had no issues with it all. She is petite at 5' a but has long since shelved hunting so the rifle was gifted to our son, er, daughter in law. Wanted to keep and build for myself but a 6.5CM has scratched that itch.

Check out the Axis II in hardwood. Very nice rifle for the price. It was a battle for me between it and the 12FV that I bought. Available in a wide array of calibers but I don't know about youth configuration. (Shorter length of pull)

Basic Member
    I know I originally ask about the 7-08 but a buddy put a bug in my ear about 25-06. I don't have a clue about that caliber. Give me some help concerning the recoil or any other information. Thanks Daniel

worse

just get 243, tried and true small framed person gun

Years ago (70's) a friend's father had a custom 25-06 built on a Mauser action. Honey of a caliber for long range . . . which was 250 yards at that time . . . for either varmints or whitetail. With the 100 gr Barnes TSX it ought to be great on deer size game.

Recoil wasn't objectionable - but it was noticeably more than a .243 Win. Probably less than a 7mm-08. But it also had a long action, Unertl scope with big block bases, and weighed in around 9 lbs!
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DLALLDER View Post
    I am looking for a ss with wood in 7-08 for my wife.
    I'd need to see pictures of your wife before I took you up on that trade.

Quote Originally Posted by VAFISH View Post

Lol

25-06 kicks a little more than the 7-08, and needs a long action. 25-06 is a very flat shooting cartridge.

I like deer cartridges that I can go into any store and get ammo for because even tho I handload I don't need to waste my time handloading for a rifle that will have 10 bullets go through the bore per year. Unlike my non-hunting rifles and pistols, they get shot hundreds to thousands of times a year and handloading is a must.

I've hunted deer with 243win, 7mm08, 308win and 300winmag. I can tell you that not one of those cartridges kills deer faster than the rest.

Team Savage
    Clambering is not as important as gun fit for a lady or youngster.

Bill

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zero333 View Post
    If it's for deer I would go with the 243win. Much less recoil than the 7mm08 and just as deadly on deer. Lots more factory ammo choices in every store.
    If hunting bigger meat than deer, the 7mm08 is the better choice obviously.

I don't think Savage offers Stainless barreled actions in wood stocks.

The Lightweight hunter is a good rifle but the Lady Hunter might be a better choice for a "Lady".

My experience with the Weatherby Vanguard is that they're accurate.
    Highly disagree that the 708 recoils ALOT more than the 243!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyShackle View Post

Lol
    Show me your rifle first!!! LOL

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by VAFISH View Post

Basic Member
    Ok, the decision was made. I ordered the wife a Tikka Forest in 25-06, should be here tomorrow. Got bullets on the way, now I just need brass and dies.

Banned
    Where do you live that you can't find any of these rifles

Basic Member
    Tikka T3's are nice rifles. Their actions are slick as snot, smooth and precise, good choice for a hunting rifle.
    Interesting choice for the chambering, recoil is right there with the 7-08.

Team Savage
    I am looking for a ss with wood in 7-08 for my wife. Anyone had experience with the Savage lw hunter or the Vanguard Camille? I prefer SS and wood but not written in stone. Thanks Daniel sorry I just noticed I put this post in wrong forum.
    I notice you're in TX and although Pittsburg is quite a ways from Columbus, the LGS has a minty Savage Lady Hunter in .243. IIRC it has a Nikon Prostaff scope on it, in good mounts.

Team Savage
    Ok, the decision was made. I ordered the wife a Tikka Forest in 25-06, should be here tomorrow. Got bullets on the way, now I just need brass and dies.
    Oops. I should have kept reading. Good choice of rifles. You won't regret that Tikka. They have become my favorite rifles.

Basic Member
    Depending on what the wife looks like it depends on which rifle I'll offer up. :)

She might be worth a Savage Axis or she might be worth a Blaser R8 with a Swarovski scope.