Thread: Recommendations for 30-06 Ammo

Recommendations for 30-06 Ammo

I hunt whitetail with my model 110 in 30-06 and currently use 180 grain Remington Core Lokt. Over the past four years I have shot numerous deer with the core lokt and haven't had any issues, but my furthest harvest has been 190 yards.

My hunting property was clear cut this season and now I have fields that are up to 600 yards. I've researched the core lokt online and have found that that round drops 52" at 500 yards, is that correct. I'm not an ammo or gun expert but that sounds like a lot to me.

I am planning to practice 500 yard shots this weekend at the range but don't want to waste my time with the core lokt if there is a better/more accurate round at 300-500 yards.

My gun is currently zeroed at 100 yards. Should I keep it at that or zero it at 200?

Any insight and recommendations are appreciated.

Basic Member
    I would sight it in at 200 and then shoot it out to 600 yards to see if I could hit anything at that distance with that ammo. A 54" drop at 500 yards with a 180 grain bullet seems a bit light to me but I shoot a 150 grain bullet so I cant say for sure. I wouldnt depend on the info from Remington as you dont know what the muzzle velocity is when shooting it from your rifle.

I think you will find that the bullet drop for that distance isn’t entirely unreasonable. Shoot 165 BTs and it will be a smidge better.

Yeah, I definitely think I will zero it in at 200 yards this weekend before I start practicing at longer ranges. The more I research the more thinking that'll be best distance for me. Thanks for your input.

That's where a BDC scope and trajectory calculator program can be a Godsend.

180 gr in a .30-06 will do it!

But, if you're not a reloader, I'd be checking out some Nosler Trophy Grade (Long Range) 168 gr.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/82...ange-box-of-20

If you want to shoot at 600 yards your rifle will tell you what it likes. You may have to try a bunch of factory loads to get acceptable accuracy at that range.

I recommend a sissy-bag for your shoulder. ;-)
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

Big fan of Federal Partition 165gr with good accuracy..
    Model 700BDL, 30.06
    Perpetual Optimism is a force Multiplier....

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpkiller View Post
    That's where a BDC scope and trajectory calculator program can be a Godsend.

180 gr in a .30-06 will do it!

But, if you're not a reloader, I'd be checking out some Nosler Trophy Grade (Long Range) 168 gr.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/82...ange-box-of-20

If you want to shoot at 600 yards your rifle will tell you what it likes. You may have to try a bunch of factory loads to get acceptable accuracy at that range.

I recommend a sissy-bag for your shoulder. ;-)

Hahaha. I put a new scope on before this hunting season and fired off 18 rounds in one outing... needless to say, my right arm was literally numb for a while. I usually don't shoot more than a dozen rounds at a time. I appreciate your input, Sir.

Team Savage
    These days, for people who don't reload, I always recommend trying Federal Fusion ammo. I've found it to be exceptionally accurate in several guns, two of which I cannot hand load more accurate ammo.

I would zero at 200 because that will cover most hunting shots without requiring you to think at all - always good when the heart is pumping and the animal is moving toward cover.

Thank you for the advice, newtosavage...

30'06 factory ammo for longer shots I would consider...

Fedreal Premium 165 gr Sierra Gameking. Always accurate.

Federal Premium 165 gr Nosler ballistic Tip. Always accurate.

Federal Premium 175 gr Edge TLR. Best for the very very long shots. 500 yards and beyond.

Basic Member
    +1 for the federal premium 165gr Sierra game king.

Basic Member
    Using a Barnes 150 TTSX bullet at 3000 fps (Barnes load data) and sighted in dead on at 300 yards you have a drop of 5 feet at 600 yards(between 500 to 600 yards your drop doubles from 30 to 60 inches).(I use a 110 TTSX in a 6.8 SPC at 2600 fps and it puts deer down now). Go out before hunting season and range different areas the field with a range finder, eliminates guessing. The reason I would use the Barnes is because its nearly as long as a jacketed in 180 grain. If your rifle likes 180's it should shoot the 150 grain TTSX Barnes real well. If you don't reload there are custom ammo makers that will including HSM in Stevensville,Mt.

Though finding a load your rifle likes is important. I'd say a good rangefinder, a super stable place to rest your rifle, and plenty of practice is going to be in order before trying to shoot a game animal at that distance.

My go to 30-06 hunting load is a hand loaded 165gr Nosler Accubond over a worked up to max charge if IMR4350 and a CCI BR2 primer in Winchester brass.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

As Newtosavage said, try the Federal Fusion. My son doesn't hunt but shoots the Federal Fusion 150's in his Stevens .270. Very accurate on paper out to 500 yds.