Thread: 338 Lapua barrel, Savage Action!

338 Lapua barrel, Savage Action!

Anybody tried it? Thinking about it! ::)
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]

sinman

Re: 338 Lapua barrel, Savage Action!

You would need a special bolt head and I wouldn't do it. Go with a 338 edge or buy a factory 338 lapua

I am looking at the Savage 338 Lapua, looks nice!

sinman

I have have built many barrels in 338 edge and everyone loves them. A lot cheaper the the lapua

I will check it out!

Sinman, U have my attention ;D

Who makes dies for the 338 Edge?

358Hammer

Dennis
    CH4D and Hornady last I knew made dies for the Lott. I simply back the sizing die for my 338RUM out .090 as the dies are a lot cheaper than custom made dies.

I will happily and heartily support Devin's choice comparison of the Edge over the Lapua. Plus it's AMERICAN.

Neal

Quote Originally Posted by 358Hammer

CH4D and Hornady last I knew made dies for the Lott. I simply back the sizing die for my 338RUM out .090 as the dies are a lot cheaper than custom made dies.

Neal
    LOTT, EDGE, RUM... what is the connection?
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

Sinman, what action/bolt is required for the 388 Edge?

I have several guns that could be used for a donor!

dcloco

The Edge or a plain 338 RUM is as good or better than a 338 Lapua.

Advantage - COST of brass. You will more than likely get the same number of reloadings. Before the naysayers chime in and say...no...not with Lapua brass. Well, this is 100 gr of powder with heavy bullet territory. It is NOT your 223, 243, 6 whatever, or 30 whatever...that use HALF the powder. Talk to the people who really use a Lapua or RUM/Edge and ask how many reloads they actually get before the primer pockets are toast.

Disadvantage - nobody will oooh and aaah over a lowly RUM when you tell them what chambering it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis
    Sinman, U have my attention ;D

Who makes dies for the 338 Edge?
    I use 338RUM dies to neck size and seat, and a 375RUM die to FL size. Works great and both sets can be had for about $50.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

358Hammer

Greg
    If you are inferring towards me, then I confess that I like energy at and above the number of posts you have on this site. The Lott takes a typical bolthead along with the WSM's so chambering the really large cases on one of those actions is quite easy.

I actually bought and old ,old,old Savage 338 Win Mag rifle today. $300. complete ready to shoot with 4 boxes of ammo. Looks like a stagger feed blind magazine as the bottom of the stock is raised and quite flat. Wanted the blt parts for another build.

Neal

I use 338RUM dies to neck size and seat, and a 375RUM die to FL size.
    Interesting, forgive me, but I understand as I shoot a 6x47 and brass is not available for it. Dies are available, just use 6.5x47 Lapua brass!

So to FL size use the 375RUM die, to neck size use the 338RUM, and for seating use the 338 Rum die!

Use 338RUM Brass ???????? Or ? What is the best brass to use and of course primers?

Sounds simple, just verifing before purchasing

Dennis

You're close, but it's not quite that simple.

The 338 Edge is based on the 300RUM case simply necked up to 338. You could use 7mmRUM, 300RUM, or 375RUM brass to make 338 Edge.

The reason that you can't use 338 RUM brass is for the silly reason that Remington decided to make the 338RUM about .09" shorter in length than the others. ???

That's why I use the combination of the two die sets.

Remington brass is considered acceptable, Federal brass is decent but almost non-existent. Nosler brass is good, but expensive. Many believe that Nosler brass is simply Federal brass that has been weight sorted and lightly prepped.

I use CCI 250 primers.

Here's a great intoduction and information on the 338 Edge.

http://www.defensiveedge.net/338%20edge/338%20edge.htm
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

You could use 7mmRUM, 300RUM, or 375RUM
    Use any of the top three brass and run it through the die. Sounds simple!

How do you like your 338 Edge? What action did you use? Barrel and lenght/twist?

Sorry for so many questions, but I am seriously thinking about building one!

Dennis

Using the 300RUM is the most common. Using 7mm may give you thin necks. The 375 might be too thick.

I like it very much. I wish I would have drawn an elk tag to use it on this year.

The one I have now is built on a small shank blued 308 long action(long action but has a short action mag opening).

The barrel I got on clearance from McGowan. It is a 32" stainless fluted 10" twist #7 contour.

The muzzle brake I got from Ross Schuler for $40.

Sinman did all the machining.

I forgot to say before, there are ways to get 338 Edge dies.

They can be Redding makes them but don't stock them. Shawn Carlock sells some modified Redding dies. Or, there are a couple companies that will custom make them.

I'm just too cheap.

If I were to do it again I would get a new set of Lee 338RUM dies. I've always liked their seater and their newer FL dies have a tapered expander that will work great when necking up the virgin brass. I'd also still use the 375RUM FL die for whenever I needed to FL size without touching the neck.

358Hammer

Until yesterday all of my Edges are built on Savage Strikers which is a Mod 10 action. One is a small shank, one is a large shank.

If you haven't read up on the Edge, below is a link (of many) that convinced me to run the Edge over the 338 RUM. The Edge does get about 100fps second by most counts over the 338 Rum or the 338 Lapua. SOme say the Lapua improved will beat the Edge but I don't see how with masically the same case capacity.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/articles/338-edge-1.php

Neal

KRP

Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder
    I forgot to say before, there are ways to get 338 Edge dies.

They can be Redding makes them but don't stock them. Shawn Carlock sells some modified Redding dies. Or, there are a couple companies that will custom make them.

I'm just too cheap.

If I were to do it again I would get a new set of Lee 338RUM dies. I've always liked their seater and their newer FL dies have a tapered expander that will work great when necking up the virgin brass. I'd also still use the 375RUM FL die for whenever I needed to FL size without touching the neck.
    Good plan. I've been using the Lee 338 RUM dies all along with very good results. I've thought about having Forster make me a set of dies, I really like their dies, but I can't justify it with the Lee dies working as well as they do. And pulling the guts out of a FL 375 RUM die and using it as a body die is just too simple.