Thread: I found this little gem the other day.

I found this little gem the other day.

First, my apologies, gentlemen. I've been a member for some time; joined in 2015, but I've been absent because of protracted health reasons, (when it rains, it pours), but I'm back in the saddle, to continue on from here.

I recently came across a Savage Model 110FP, LH in .223 on a round gun rack in the corner of the gun shop. The reason I noticed it was because it is a 'lefty' rifle.

Yes, it has the heavy barrel, pre-"Accutrigger" trigger, the synthetic stock, and I suspect, by the dated look of the Savage graphics packaging of the time, an older model. It's NIB, and the asking price is $500 - was; now it's mine. It was originally owned by a friend of the gun store owner, but the friend passed away before he had a chance to shoot it, so the gun store owner was selling it for the family of his late friend.

I have been looking for a LH bolt-action in said caliber for some time, and was seriously considering the CZ, but for this price, I figured I now have a rifle that has the potential to meet my bench shooting needs; to give me years of shooting pleasure (or misery) depending on who I ask.

I think it is a fair price, and I would be interested in any information/opinions of you more experienced, and knowledgeable SS 110 rifle guys,who may care to opine.

I've been reading as much as I can, both good and bad, but am anxious to wring it out, when I pick it up later in the week.

I'd also like to know when it was manufactured - just curious.

I know I'll replace the trigger and the stock, but for now . . . something to look forward to.

bobbyj.

I believe there is a sticky on dating Savage rifles by the serial # on here. Sounds like you should have bought a lottery ticket instead with that luck.lol

Being a 110FP in .223 that would put it at 1995 or earlier as 1996 is when they came out with the Gen II short-actions. See the sticky down in the "Date My Savage" board (Vintage section) as there's a table in the one for all the S/N's with a letter prefix.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Thanks, I did read the sticky and thanks for the info. I'm picking it up later on in the week, so I don't have the s# on it. No matter.

Since I don't have much experience choosing the better rifle, I think it will do for a start. When I gain more experience, good or bad - I'll have at least learned something. I wasn't really trying top be too specific about the dating, more of just a general question - just curious is all.

Like it's been said: "one man's trash is another man's treasure".

bobbyj.

Quote Originally Posted by OLEJOE View Post
    I believe there is a sticky on dating Savage rifles by the serial # on here. Sounds like you should have bought a lottery ticket instead with that luck.lol

I did buy a lottery ticket the same week I found the Savage 110FP on the gun shop rack.

Not to thread drift, but in 1994, I missed a 12-million dollar lottery ticket win by one number! But close isn't close enough.

I've also been fortunate enough to win a pair of brand new Colt SAAs (3rd Gen), with a twin holster and belt rig. I won a Benelli SBE II DU model 12 ga. shotgun at a DU benefit dinner once.

I've been trying to find the other winning lottery ticket, ever since.

Oh, and I have been fortunate enough to survive two strokes! I'll take the 110FP, and be happy with that.

Double LOL!

bobbyj.

Good fortune, turns on a dime.

I brought the 110FP home today, then, I went to an eye appointment at the VA Optometry/Eye Clinic; only to be informed by my doctor that the 'floaters' and 'after-images' I am seeing in my left eye, (my dominant eye), which are blurring my vision, are there to stay. Nothing can be done - it's just old age.

No matter. I'll keep at it til I can't see straight anymore! Being left-eye dominant - now that is irony!

It's what J.Baker told me. The Serial # is F529XXX so the chart on the sticky gives me the ballpark production time.
    I will need to get bases and scope rings, as well. Now to find/select the correct bases and scope rings.

I need to figure out how to post pics here. I'm not bright when it comes to placing 'jpgs' on the thread. Sooner or later, I'll figure it out.

bobbyj.

Post pics you need a 3rd party pic hosting site like Postimage.org or pay subscription to this forum.

With the right scope and right glasses I think you'll do fine shooting. Maybe getting a second opinion from a different optometrist might be a good idea. You know the saying... Trust, BUT VERIFY !

Wish I could give you actual helpful info about what scope base to get for your rifle, but I never owned a 110 223 that's 25 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero333 View Post
    Post pics you need a 3rd party pic hosting site like Postimage.org or pay subscription to this forum.

With the right scope and right glasses I think you'll do fine shooting. Maybe getting a second opinion from a different optometrist might be a good idea. You know the saying... Trust, BUT VERIFY !

Wish I could give you actual helpful info about what scope base to get for your rifle, but I never owned a 110 223 that's 25 years old.

I'll check out the forum subscription info. I'm going to sweet-talk my wife, to see if she'll help. She's so much smarter than I am when it comes to doing anything on the computer. (That should get me some points on the 'plus' side). LOL.

Thank you for your kind words. I am bound and determined to continue to shoot, regardless of these bloody floaters; even if I have to shoot with special glasses. My doctoer did say that there is the possibility that some type of lense shading could cancel out the 'floater' and they would, sort of, disappear or be visually neutralized. although my doc said it wouldn't help me with my particular issue. I will also ask another doc, for his opinion, as well.

I'm going to do some skeet shooting this coming week, when the weather warms a bit more, and if I can hit clays shooting my .410, then it won't be a problem. I've been practicing looking through my Vortex 24X scope on on a bipod (rifle empty, of course), at objects on the other side of my pond and I believe I can work through the haze. Anything is possible.

I was watching a commercial for the inhaler "Symbacort", which I use, and heard the disclaimer about one of the side effects may cause vision problems . . . So, needless to say, I have already contacted the VA doc to see what he says about it. Ya never know.

I took the advice of some of you knowledgeable SS members' threads, and read a lot of the different companies' offerings/types of Picatinny base mounts, and decided on one from EGW. I went over to my gun shop guy yesterday, and after reviewing my choice - an EGW Savage 110FP flat-back (LA 3.800") 'ambi' mount, pre-Accutrigger - he ordered one for me. Although, it's back-ordered (I found that out before I got there) but he said in about a week. I'll wait.

It was interesting to listen to a couple of the local gun groupies look over this rifle, when no one paid much attention to it before I bought it. They all think it interesting, (that it is Long Action in .223 Rem (but after reading the article on the "SA/LA generation info", I now understand what they meant by it); and that it's an old rifle.

I'm looking forward to shooting this "antique". Like I wish I still had the '68 Mustang I bought when I ws 19 years old.

bobbyj.