During the great Cabela's 12FV fire sale I picked up several calibers. With a .308 version I ended up cutting off 8" of the barrel with a hacksaw. Then I sanded it flat with a cheap harbor freight tabletop sander and finished it smooth with a palm sander.

Then I got a 1/2" 11 degree crown facer and made my own pilot from a bronze rod with layers of heat shrink till it fit the barrel. Chucked it up in a drill and slowly countersunk it down. And then I finished it off with a brass reamer to give it a smooth transition. Couple of coats of cold blue later and you would be hard pressed to tell it was ever cut down in the first place.

The results speak for themselves. Using factory Sierra 168 gr Gold Metal Match it shot a sub 1/2" 5 shot group. I am very happy with the results and am thinking about cutting down some other rifles I have. The 18oz I removed with that chuck of barrel really adds to the maneuverability of the rifle.

So if you have ever thought about doing this yourself and were wavering, go for it!

Attachment 4387Attachment 4386Attachment 4385Attachment 4388