Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NewB Axis question

Basic Member

NewB Axis question

Hi all, I just bought an Axis in 6.5 Creedmoor for almost nothing that hasn't made it through break in yet. I've been reading around for some easy mods, but first, I need a scope. I'm seeing that there may be some clearance issues so I need some help deciding on good budget friendly scope/mount/rings. The gun has the Weaver base and scope installed. I've been looking at the Vortex Diamondback. I'd like to have an accurate setup but I'm not a bench shooter and it will primarily be used for hunting. Any help is appreciated.

My first suggestion would be a one piece base or an extended ring for the front. All the Axis actions are long and scopes, like my Leupold. and others do not have enough tube length to fit properly with the two piece bases.

I agree with wbm. I recently bought an Axis and wanted to replace the Weaver scope that came with it with a Bushnell Banner 4-12x40 Dusk & Dark. The tube on the Bushnell is too short so I ordered a one piece base made by Weaver (Weaver Part No. 48347). Check the diameter of the rear eyepiece on the scope that came with it. If whatever scope you pick has the same diameter, you'll be good with the same height rings, since there is enough clearance with the original. As far as which scope would be best for you, that's in large part dependent on your wallet. I'm rather partial to Bushnell Banner Dusk & Dark scopes. They're pretty decent glass for the price. I've heard great things about the Diamondback Vortexes too though. They cost twice as much as Bushnells though. Being fiscally challenged, I stay with the lower costing equipment that will meet my needs. Some schools of though will say get the best glass you can afford. I expect you should get a lot of discussion on this one because there are so many opinions and preferences. Good luck.

Basic Member
    I like the Talley mounts for my scopes. You can get the single or double extended set if you need more room for a short tube. I used a double extended on my Axis .243 to mount a Redfield 3-9x50.

Come to think of it, I have a set of UTG Quick Detach Scope Rings that came with the Bushnell scope when I bought it on E-Bay. I've read a few reviews that seem pretty positive but, I haven't personally used them. I think I'll try them out when my base comes in and let you know.

Basic Member
    Thanks for the suggestions so far. I think I’ve decided on the Vortex Diamondback 50mm based on reviews. Now, I just need to figure out which base and rings will work best.

Good choice. 3.5-10? You'll have to post pics when you're done.

Basic Member
    Yes 3.5 - 10

Sweet. Keep in mind, in selecting base/rings system the height from the top of the receiver to the bottom of the scope tube will need to be at least .484 inches for clearance of the 50 mm objective. The scope that comes with it has a 40 mm objective so bolt handle clearance shouldn't be a problem since you will be using the same height, or even taller base/rings system to clear the 50 mm. A 40 mm only needs .287 inches for clearance so you'll most likely be using a taller setup.. Should be a nice setup.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GunnyJC View Post
    Sweet. Keep in mind, in selecting base/rings system the height from the top of the receiver to the bottom of the scope tube will need to be at least .484 inches for clearance of the 50 mm objective. The scope that comes with it has a 40 mm objective so bolt handle clearance shouldn't be a problem since you will be using the same height, or even taller base/rings system to clear the 50 mm. A 40 mm only needs .287 inches for clearance so you'll most likely be using a taller setup.. Should be a nice setup.
    ^This is what I needed. Thanks.

No problem. Make sure to measure the outside of the objective. If 51 mm you need .5 inches and if 52 mm you'll need .524 inches clearance.

Basic Member
    I’ve ordered my scope, EGW base and vortex pro high rings. I filled the butt stock with spray foam to quiet it down. I was going to do a trigger mod , but I checked it before I started and it’s 3.5# straight from the factory. I’m not sure if I wanna change that or not. I will probably epoxy the forearm to add strength. I can’t wait to shoot this thing. When it’s all said and done I will have a total of $420 in it.

Basic Member
    I'd shoot it first to see how it does. Epoxy probably won't do more than adding weight as far as accuracy goes. You already have a pretty good mousetrap.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by prdatr View Post
    I'd shoot it first to see how it does. Epoxy probably won't do more than adding weight as far as accuracy goes. You already have a pretty good mousetrap.
    So, epoxy won’t stiffen the forearm? I’ve read about putting Rockite in it but I can’t find it locally.

Quote Originally Posted by kimbrell224 View Post
    So, epoxy won’t stiffen the forearm? I’ve read about putting Rockite in it but I can’t find it locally.
    I picked up some on eBay for 6 bucks shipped. All you should need is a pound

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    I picked up two Vortex Crossfire II 6x24x50 with the dead hold reticle at Academy right before Christmas for $200 each. They appear to be really nice scopes however I only recently mounted mine on my Axis 6.5 Creedmoor. I initially was advised I would need the high Vortex Pro rings so I bought those and an EGW 0 MOA rail. After mounting the scope I found out I was actually able to use the medium height rings so I took the high rings back and exchanged them for the mediums. I think a lot depends on exactly how much forward or back you mount your scope. And nobody can tell you that but you. I suppose you can do as I did and start high to be safe and then decide if you might be able to go lower after you get it mounted. Luckily I bought local and was able to make an exchange relatively quickly. Good luck. Matt

Good point chewy. I mounted a Bushnell Banner 4-12x40 on my Axis using the original rings that came with rifle mounting the Weaver 3-9x40. I had to replace the two-piece bases with a one-piece multi-slot base because the tube on the Bushnell is shorter as the objective bell starts to increase in diameter earlier. I was just able the existing rings. If eye relief would have been a half inch shorter, I'd have had to use taller rings.

Basic Member
    So I’ve got my Vortex 50mm scope mounted on a EGW base with high vortex pro rings. I do not like how high the scope sits. It appears to lower it I would have to give up eye relief. Is there a better option than the EGW base? It is the reason I need high rings.

Basic Member
    There are some extended 2 piece base designs out there. I believe Talley makes some as well as Warne and others. If I remember correctly I actually gained eye relief because I moved my scope forward and then was able to lower it. Before the objective was going to hit the end of the EGW rail or either the barrel nut. Don’t remember which at the moment. Try a search for 2 piece extended scope rails. You’ll come up with a few. Unfortunately it means starting all over again if you go that route. Otherwise move the rings up a couple notches in the EGW rail and see if you don’t gain some clearance.

Basic Member
    Break out the hack saw and take the the end off the EGW. I have 4 of their bases and I've done it to all of mine. Birchwood Casey makes Aluminum Black to re-black the cut off end...can't tell it was ever there.

I'm now using 30mm Vortex Low rings even with heavy barrels 50mm objectives...eye relief is now perfect

Welcome aboard
    Perpetual Optimism is a force Multiplier....

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptnC View Post
    Break out the hack saw and take the the end off the EGW. I have 4 of their bases and I've done it to all of mine. Birchwood Casey makes Aluminum Black to re-black the cut off end...can't tell it was ever there.

I'm now using 30mm Vortex Low rings even with heavy barrels 50mm objectives...eye relief is now perfect
    I went and picked up some Vortex mediums today at Academy (sucks they’re $20 higher than eBay). I mounted them and only had to move forward just a little. It’s better but I still don’t like it. I’m really considering cutting off the end of the base and trying the lows.

For me the problem with the Axis wasn't the objective end clearance... The problem was with the ocular lens housing.... When the bolt is cycled, the bolt handle hits the bell housing and causes damage to the scope (cosmetic) or it won't cycle all the way.

I ran a Bushnell trophy hunter 4-12x40, and currently a Redfield Battlezone 6-18x42.

I used standard two-piece Weaver bases and X High Weaver rings.... I had to file off the bolt handle a bit where it kept striking the housing. As I said, just cosmetic damage, nothing functionally damaged.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SageRat Shooter View Post
    For me the problem with the Axis wasn't the objective end clearance... The problem was with the ocular lens housing.... When the bolt is cycled, the bolt handle hits the bell housing and causes damage to the scope (cosmetic) or it won't cycle all the way.

I ran a Bushnell trophy hunter 4-12x40, and currently a Redfield Battlezone 6-18x42.

I used standard two-piece Weaver bases and X High Weaver rings.... I had to file off the bolt handle a bit where it kept striking the housing. As I said, just cosmetic damage, nothing functionally damaged.
    That's the reason I haven’t tried anything lower than the mediums. I believe anything lower and I’m gonna run into bolt clearance problems. OP you may want to double check that real well before you try and go any lower. I didn’t want to run into any problems like that so I left mine. It’s plenty low enough for me now.

Basic Member
    The Glades handle gives more clearance over the factory piece, if that helps.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast