Thread: Savage 12 ejector/spring broken

Basic Member

Savage 12 ejector/spring broken

My Savage 12 ejector / ejector spring is no longer kicking the brass out of the chamber - Can I purchase these parts online somewhere or should I give Savage a ring?

Basic Member
    The ejector, spring and retainer pin are cheapest from Savage. I bought several each of all the bolt head parts just to have spares when I needed them.
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Basic Member
    As Texas said Savage is an option.
    Other options are Midway, Brownells, and Gun Shack ( one of our forum sponsors)
    There are certainly more vendors than what I listed

I have to ask: are you sure that the spring is broken and not that the ejector is stuck due to trash/grit?

do the single shot guys remove the ejector?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JW View Post
    As Texas said Savage is an option.
    Other options are Midway, Brownells, and Gun Shack ( one of our forum sponsors)
    There are certainly more vendors than what I listed

I have to ask: are you sure that the spring is broken and not that the ejector is stuck due to trash/grit?

To be honest I'm not sure. I guess since it's not working very well I could just take it apart and find out. Can't get any worse, right?

Basic Member

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LVLAaron View Post
    The top one (all calibers)
    If the ejector is sticking up above the bolt face, try pushing it dowm and see if it springs back up
    If is does, the ejector probably is not the issue
    You might need to take a look at the extractor

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JW View Post
    The top one (all calibers)
    If the ejector is sticking up above the bolt face, try pushing it dowm and see if it springs back up
    If is does, the ejector probably is not the issue
    You might need to take a look at the extractor
    Thanks. Pretty certain it's the spring. Extractor is fine. Ejector spring is pretty limp.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gchellin View Post
    do the single shot guys remove the ejector?
    I have removed the ejectors from all my Savages that see only bench action. Got tired of chasing my carefully prepared brass all over tarnation, and also tired of fishing brass out of the action that has flipped backwards. Not knocking Savages, but my 308 is the only model 12 action I have that reliably ejects, so it's for hunting.

Without the ejector, the brass stays attached to the bolt head upon retraction, and I just pick it out and place it back in the box, nicely sorted and free of dirt.
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas10 View Post
    I have removed the ejectors from all my Savages that see only bench action. Got tired of chasing my carefully prepared brass all over tarnation, and also tired of fishing brass out of the action that has flipped backwards. Not knocking Savages, but my 308 is the only model 12 action I have that reliably ejects, so it's for hunting.

Without the ejector, the brass stays attached to the bolt head upon retraction, and I just pick it out and place it back in the box, nicely sorted and free of dirt.

On my 12, I have no problem quickly opening the bolt and catching the brass in my hand. :) - On that note I've got a couple of guns with them removed.

Both are right. The 110ba spring is stronger and will kick the brass out farther.

Basic Member
    On my 12, I have no problem quickly opening the bolt and catching the brass in my hand. :) - On that note I've got a couple of guns with them removed.
    With my 223 I am able to do that, catch the ejecting case mid-air as I fling the bolt back, but it still tends to leave a case on top of the magazine from time to time, usually facing backwards. The 223 and 308 case are not significantly "over-bore" in design like the 22-250 and 6mmBR, where you have a big, fat case with a small neck, which contributes detrimentally to the ejection process.

OP- if you'll pm me your address, I'll send you one of my spare springs, with ejector if you like. I also have two modified ejector kits that will improve ejection, for sale if you prefer.