Thread: Savage 220

Question Savage 220

I was looking at a 220 yesterday. I expected the action to be a lot smoother. Are all the 220 actions this stiff? I've never felt a bolt that bad on any gun/rifle.

I keep reading reviews that say "The 220F is essentially their Model 110 rifle chambered for 20 gauge sabot slugs ". There is no way the action of the 220 I looked at was as smooth as my 110 in 300 Win Mag or my Axis in 25-06.

Was the one I checked out with a stiff gritty action, the way they are or do they smooth out with use, cleaning or polishing?

Thanks

I can just give an opinion on the one I had for review several years ago. The one I had wasn't gritty at all. Maybe not as smooth as a 110, but there wasn't anything that bad about it that was worth noting in my review at the time. They don't have a front baffle on them, so having less lug area riding in the raceway could allow it to bind up a little easier if your putting excess pressure on the bolt in a given direction.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Thanks for the reply.

The one I held, with the bolt just moved to open and gun pointed at ceiling, the bolt stayed in position. I was expecting gravity to move to the full open position.

Could have just been the magazine follower applying just enough pressure to prevent it from sliding back freely. Wouldn't be the first time I've seen that.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Me and two of my friends bought three early last year. Theirs are stiff and rough. Mine was incredibly rough and stiff. Upon inspection, we saw a hump on the action in the right side bolt rail area, a burr like protrusion on the top right rear part of the action, and the rail channels on both sides looked like a jack hammer was used to mill them out. After several hours with files and a stone it is now slick as can be. If I had not got such a good deal i would have sent it back. I was surprised something like that made it out. When you can see humps, ridges, and chatter with the naked eye it's bad. But, it shoots extremely well! Some stone work on the other two made them slick. Mine was just horrible though.

All three of these shoot Remington 3" accutips the best.

Quote Originally Posted by snowgetter1 View Post
    Me and two of my friends bought three early last year. Theirs are stiff and rough. Mine was incredibly rough and stiff. Upon inspection, we saw a hump on the action in the right side bolt rail area, a burr like protrusion on the top right rear part of the action, and the rail channels on both sides looked like a jack hammer was used to mill them out. After several hours with files and a stone it is now slick as can be. If I had not got such a good deal i would have sent it back. I was surprised something like that made it out. When you can see humps, ridges, and chatter with the naked eye it's bad. But, it shoots extremely well! Some stone work on the other two made them slick. Mine was just horrible though.

Thanks for the info. Good to know it can be smoothed up.