Thread: Sticker shock

Basic Member

Sticker shock

I haven't looked at a new Savage in a couple of years so I checked Davidson's just to see what prices were running and the cheapest stainless steel rifle was $760!

I had no idea that they had gone up so much.

Frank

One rifle, one planet, Holland's 375

ellobo

Re: Sticker shock

I build muzzleloaders, flintlocks, and if you want sticker shock you should see the price increaces over the last few yrs. Barrels are up about 50%, the last trigger guard casting I bought was $7.50, now $17.00, butt plate was $7.50, now $17.00 and the same for other parts. Last lock I bought was $75, now $125. I could buy a nice Savage for what it will cost me just for parts for a flintlock before I put a file or chisel to anything.

El Lobo

hailstone

I've noticed the wholesale prices have increased $150 to $200 per rifle in the last six months. Really come too my attention recently when I was looking at a used 257 Roberts. There asking price for a used rifle was now what the new retail price was six months ago. Needless too say it looks as if my days of buying new firearms are in the past. Just bought two used Savage rifles last weekend for less than what most gun stores want for one used Savage. Savage retail pricing is pushing $800, Remington nearly $1000 with Browning, Kimber and several others completely out of the ball park. Suspect some of this is following in the shadow of the AR frenzy from several years ago.

Nefarioud

yes they are getting more expensive, but compared to some other hobbies the price increases seem downright reasonable.

Tried to set up a GSXR 1000 to do track days, WOW $3000 just for the suspension bits, $2200 for wheels (without tires or sprocket)...everything seems to have tripled.

I's like to think that along with the price increases on the firearms we're getting better stuff, but when they can sell an edge for $300 that shoots as well as it does, it kinda makes you wonder.