Thread: Savage 10 sba 308

Savage 10 sba 308

Hello i have a savage 10 sba 20" 308 (dicks model) im looking to do some work to the rifle. i want to buy an after market stock and do not know where to begin, i mainly want to upgrade the stock for a more solid platform and to get a box magazine of some sort. The rifle currently has an integrated magazine built into the stock that isnt removable. I was looking at bell and carlson medalist varmint stock and wast sure if this would fit my rifle also im assuming i will need a new lower plate for a magazine and i have no idea what to look for. Any advice would be greatly appreciated never really done anything like this with a bolt gun, thanks.

Or will i even be able to upgrade the stock since my gun does not have a magwell/magazine/lower plate its kind of confusing me

Basic Member
    You can convert to a detachable box magazine (DBM), just need to also get the hardware, bottom metal. I've done it on a couple of mine that started as blind mag. You just need the right bottom metal, whether it's top or bottom bolt release. It is possible to remove the magazine box from the stock, but you will need the bottom for it to use as detachable. Your rifle is short action. There are aftermarket bottom metal out there (PTG, AICS, CDI) but if you can find the factory, it's usually a little bit cheaper.

Here's a link to remove the magazine box from the stock, http://www.savageshooters.com/conten...28SF-and-CF%29.

Here's a link about DBM setups, http://www.savageshooters.com/conten...gazine-Systems.

Do you know if theres anything similar to this

https://mdttac.com/products/hs3-chassis-system

Looks like it comes with a new bottom metal setup installed already i think if i read it right you just put in 2 screws and its good to go

My main question is if i bought the AICS bottom metal and a choate or bell and carlson stock, would the bottom metal fit perfectly without me having to do anymore DIY work like cutting out a place in the stock for it to fit/ machining work on the action? I'm trying to find an easy route since i don't really have much knowledge in this and want to limit the things i could mess up. Also i think it's top release there's a lever i have to hold down and pull the trigger to let the bolt come out. I also took the gun apart and the magazine is built into the stock, i think it only holds 4 or 5 rounds also, so i'm not sure if that will make it easier to upgrade since its not built into the action

Basic Member
    You have a short action top bolt release, so the stock needs to fit such. Not sure on the chassis systems, but I think you are correct, install 2 receiver screws and you're set.

I actually found this website that ha the choate stock i wanted with the CDI bottom already installed for a reasonable price

https://www.eabco.net/Savage-Detacha...372.html#tab-2

i think thats basically everything i need in that deal besides new magazines, or i might just buy that stock and a factory bottom plate and magazine and save 150$

I have one more question before i order these aftermarket parts, does anyone know if the savage 10 SBA model has the same barrel as the fcp-sr? My friend has an fcp-sr and his shoots extremely well and i got this dicks model 10 for 250$ brand new never been shot from a different friend. Was just wondering because the rifles looks exactly the same besides the fluting in the barrel and the DBM on the fcp-sr, but i cant find any information on the rifle at all so it has me kind of skeptical and wondering if its worth putting 4-500$ into it