Thread: Any value or interest in a "How fast you can swap barrels in a Savage" video?

Basic Member

Question Any value or interest in a "How fast you can swap barrels in a Savage" video?

So I do lots of M14 videos, but I'm a Savage fan as well. I just got a savage 12FV in 308 and I'm going to pull the barrel and have it chopped to 20" and threaded. I've also got a Savage 110 in 308 with a 22" Benchmark 5R barrel.

I've seen debates about how long it takes to change a Savage barrel and was wondering if there's interest in doing an actual timed barrel swap video from fully scoped and assembled rifle to barrel changed and fully scoped and assembled rifle.

There are already "How to's" but they're not my "How to's." I really like to document things that I'm passionate about and the Savage is one of them.

Obviously, I will not shortcut any critical information and I won't be obvious that I'm rushing it.

What do you guys think?

Here's a link to my other videos to give you an example of my style of video and my technical capabilities. I'm the only guy on YouTube that shows people how to actually build an M14 from start to finish and glass bed M14's, which is very difficult and very time consuming.

https://www.youtube.com/user/tonyben3/videos

So should I dive into Savage "How To's" as well?

Tony.

Basic Member
    'How fast..."NO! Careful and safe beats fast in Savage barrel changes, heart surgery and tightrope walking. No fast needed.
    IMNVHO
    joe b.

Basic Member
    Love to see it TonyBen. I enjoy your vids.

Basic Member
    fer sure.......why not?

Basic Member
    Yes. also agree fast may not be the best term and with your talent sure another can be substituted...most efficient, productive...you get the idea.

Basic Member
    Okay, how about "How easy it is to change a Savage barrel?"

Tony.

I'd focus more on the how-to than how fast. If you do one let me know, we'll add it to the Gunsmithing section here.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post
    I'd focus more on the how-to than how fast. If you do one let me know, we'll add it to the Gunsmithing section here.
    Rock on! I'll post it when I do it.

Tony.

Basic Member
    I'd like to see it!

I would like to see it. I would look at it kind of like those competitions to see who can assemble an engine the fastest though. Speed isn't really the goal of building, but really cool to watch.

I sure would like to see one when you're finished.

Basic Member
    Since I have a that same rifle I am interested for sure.

Would love to see this video.

Basic Member
    Forget about a barrel changing race. I'll take as much time as necessary when changing my Savage barrels to do a perfect job, including not scratching anything and tweaking the headspace until it's just right. That is the advantage a DIY owner has over someone who sends his gun to a gunsmith who is worried about time vs profit.

What I want to see in a video isn't how fast you can change a Savage barrel, but how fast you can get down to business.

In other words, I do NOT want to see you at all nor do i want you to introduce me to your cat. And PLEASE don't ask me, "What's up guys?". I'm not your friend nor do I want to be. Just show me the barrel changing process.

Don't spend more than 10 or 15 seconds telling me what you're going to do....... just do it.

Give me a VERY brief discussion about what tools I absolutely need plus a few words about tools which might make the job easier. Tell me which ones are worth making myself, like a barrel vise. Show me your $300 barrel vise if you like, but also mention where I can buy a functional one for $70 or where I can buy some appropriate soft jaws for $15 to use in my big bench vise if I happen to own a big vise already.

Tell me how to change the barrel the correct way plus what to watch out for to prevent making a mistake or damaging anything.

Do some editing. Don't tell me you're moving the camera while you record 30 seconds of camera shaking as you tell me you're moving the camera. I can tell what you're doing and I can tell you're wasting my time. Edit that out for God's sake.

Tell me what kind of lube and/or anti-seize is best, but also tell me what kinds are NOT good.

Tell me what torque value to use on the barrel nut, but also explain how to put the torque wrench on at 90 degrees to the wrench so that you don't have to use a force multiplier calculation.

Show me how to use a go gauge properly and then show me how to us it with some tape on the end to act as a no-go-gauge. Tell me why setting head space is important and point out potential errors which might be either dangerous or cause problems when chambering certain kinds of ammo.

In other words, don't make a movie staring YOU. As Joe Friday used to say, "Just the facts".

Basic Member
    And be sure to hold the phone in portrait mode...cause that makes the best videos

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozella View Post
    Forget about a barrel changing race. I'll take as much time as necessary when changing my Savage barrels to do a perfect job, including not scratching anything and tweaking the headspace until it's just right. That is the advantage a DIY owner has over someone who sends his gun to a gunsmith who is worried about time vs profit.

What I want to see in a video isn't how fast you can change a Savage barrel, but how fast you can get down to business.

In other words, I do NOT want to see you at all nor do i want you to introduce me to your cat. And PLEASE don't ask me, "What's up guys?". I'm not your friend nor do I want to be. Just show me the barrel changing process.

Don't spend more than 10 or 15 seconds telling me what you're going to do....... just do it.

Give me a VERY brief discussion about what tools I absolutely need plus a few words about tools which might make the job easier. Tell me which ones are worth making myself, like a barrel vise. Show me your $300 barrel vise if you like, but also mention where I can buy a functional one for $70 or where I can buy some appropriate soft jaws for $15 to use in my big bench vise if I happen to own a big vise already.

Tell me how to change the barrel the correct way plus what to watch out for to prevent making a mistake or damaging anything.

Do some editing. Don't tell me you're moving the camera while you record 30 seconds of camera shaking as you tell me you're moving the camera. I can tell what you're doing and I can tell you're wasting my time. Edit that out for God's sake.

Tell me what kind of lube and/or anti-seize is best, but also tell me what kinds are NOT good.

Tell me what torque value to use on the barrel nut, but also explain how to put the torque wrench on at 90 degrees to the wrench so that you don't have to use a force multiplier calculation.

Show me how to use a go gauge properly and then show me how to us it with some tape on the end to act as a no-go-gauge. Tell me why setting head space is important and point out potential errors which might be either dangerous or cause problems when chambering certain kinds of ammo.

In other words, don't make a movie staring YOU. As Joe Friday used to say, "Just the facts".
    You should like my videos then. I go into great detail and try to answer many questions the people don't know they have.

Check out the last two videos I just posted about "properly" installing a scope mount onto an M14/M1A. I know they are not Savages, but it will give you an idea of my video production style and my camera work. I do all my videos assuming the viewer has little to no working knowledge of the subject matter. I can't tailor every video for every viewer so I put extra info in that a novice would need to know; stuff that may be common knowledge for everyone else in the loop. But that's the beauty of YouTube; you can skip to what you want to see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVG2E_hRkNY&t=97s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9JY7nd55Qg

I'm still waiting on my action wrench from PTG.

Tony.

Basic Member
    I look forward to a detaied "How to swap a savage barrel".

Basic Member
    I got the PTG action wrench. I really like it! I'll try and get the video done in the next week.

Tony.

Basic Member
    Would appreciate a list of all tools and cost and why you chose that tool. Am contemplating building one from the ground up some day. Thanks