Thread: Webbing paint job

Basic Member

Webbing paint job/ sorry wrong forum

First things first, If my wife knew I did this in the house, she would kill me lol!. With this crazy cold weather, I started to get really bored and decided to do a web paint job on my stock. This is my first attempt, but I think it looks good. Once it's dry, I'll need to put a few coats of matte clear on and then I'm done. Let me know what you guys think. I realize I put this in the wrong forum, but don't know how to move it.

Basic Member
    Nice, I like that. Ytube got a video on how to do that? Hope so.

What process did you use? Was this the krylon webbing in the spray can?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks good,
    I sure hope she has a stuffy nose or an extended trip.
    You didn't dry it in the oven or degrease it in the dishwasher did you? LOL
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Well done...Looks real Noice.....SHow off when put all back together....
    Perpetual Optimism is a force Multiplier....

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 65Whelen View Post
    Nice, I like that. Ytube got a video on how to do that? Hope so.
    Thanks. I searched youtube and unfortunately, I only found guys that had already painted the stock with no instructions. It's really easy though, the stuff comes out like silly string. Keep the stock horizontal and spray using horizontal left to right or right to left strokes. You just let the webs land on the stock.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bajeep93 View Post
    What process did you use? Was this the krylon webbing in the spray can?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes, Krylon spray can. it's now called marbelizing spray.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by penna shooter View Post
    Well done...Looks real Noice.....SHow off when put all back together....
    Thanks. I will post some pics once it's all back together, but I got away with the webbing in the house, I'm never going to get away with the clear coats in the house. I have to wait until the weather warms up a bit. Hopefully it will be all together by this coming weekend.

I'm liking it! The more I look at the matte black stock of my M11 the more I think it needs something . . . else.

Was you base brown coat also Krylon?
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpkiller View Post
    I'm liking it! The more I look at the matte black stock of my M11 the more I think it needs something . . . else.

Was you base brown coat also Krylon?
    No base coat, the stock was already Flat dark earth from the factory.

Team Savage

Nice work look forward to seeing it completed.

Basic Member

Just about done. I just laid the scope in there to see how it looks. I'm really happy with the way it came out, it just looked too plain before.

Very Noice.....Well done Sir...Congrats..

Basic Member
    Sweet

Basic Member
    I don't get it. Why do this to something like a gun stock?

This web painting is an offshoot of the kind of paint car makers used to use inside trunks. The inside of a trunk, especially on low-end cars, has always been a bit rough. No surprise there. Emphasizing the unfinished look of the trunk by spraying it with the same high gloss paint used on the well finished outside makes it look even worse. So they developed spatter paint or web paint formulations to hide how ugly the trunk really is. It works plus it's cheap, easy, and quick.

Web painting came into it's own when they started making cheap fiberglass boats. The exterior was in contact with a finely polished mold and could be easily made to be glossy and slick. But the inside, especially on boats made with a fiberglass chopper gun, was invariably rough. Because it's so difficult, and therefore expensive, to finish the inside portion, usually boat builders just knocked off the edges rough enough to cut you, and then shot the inside with a base coat followed by a "web" paint job. It fools the eye just like trunk paint. It's cheap and easy because they can use the same equipment and materials and workers they used to build the boat in the first place.

But for a gun stock?

Stocks are small, easy to finish since all the work is done on the outside, and finely finished stocks have always been a source of pride for the owner. That's why people have paid big bucks for fancy wood grain and checkering and/or engraving in the past and some still do today.

With modern finishing materials, a slick paint job over an otherwise plain stock made from cheap wood or fiberglass can still be a point of pride.

I'll say that the OP did a nice job achieving a web paint job on his stock.......... no criticism on his workmanship. But I still ask why do it. Perhaps I'm just too old. I confess that I don't understand the idea of cutting slits and holes in a brand new pair f Levis either.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozella View Post

This web painting is an offshoot of the kind of paint car makers used to use inside trunks. The inside of a trunk, especially on low-end cars, has always been a bit rough. No surprise there. Emphasizing the unfinished look of the trunk by spraying it with the same high gloss paint used on the well finished outside makes it look even worse. So they developed spatter paint or web paint formulations to hide how ugly the trunk really is. It works plus it's cheap, easy, and quick.

Web painting came into it's own when they started making cheap fiberglass boats. The exterior was in contact with a finely polished mold and could be easily made to be glossy and slick. But the inside, especially on boats made with a fiberglass chopper gun, was invariably rough. Because it's so difficult, and therefore expensive, to finish the inside portion, usually boat builders just knocked off the edges rough enough to cut you, and then shot the inside with a base coat followed by a "web" paint job. It fools the eye just like trunk paint. It's cheap and easy because they can use the same equipment and materials and workers they used to build the boat in the first place.

But for a gun stock?

Stocks are small, easy to finish since all the work is done on the outside, and finely finished stocks have always been a source of pride for the owner. That's why people have paid big bucks for fancy wood grain and checkering and/or engraving in the past and some still do today.

With modern finishing materials, a slick paint job over an otherwise plain stock made from cheap wood or fiberglass can still be a point of pride.

I'll say that the OP did a nice job achieving a web paint job on his stock.......... no criticism on his workmanship. But I still ask why do it. Perhaps I'm just too old. I confess that I don't understand the idea of cutting slits and holes in a brand new pair f Levis either.
    Thanks for the compliments on my workmanship. I did it because it changes the appearance of what was once just a plain looking rifle (well to me at least) into a custom looking rifle. http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...m-shop-rifles/
    Look at the stocks on these rifles, I feel if it's good enough for a $4,000 rifle, it's good enough for me.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 70oldsracer View Post
    Thanks for the compliments on my workmanship. I did it because it changes the appearance of what was once just a plain looking rifle (well to me at least) into a custom looking rifle. http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...m-shop-rifles/
    Look at the stocks on these rifles, I feel if it's good enough for a $4,000 rifle, it's good enough for me.
    Well that's exactly why they say de gustibus non disputandum est. In other words, just because I don't get it doesn't mean you shouldn't get it.

I'm a fan of your custom work....Congrats..Well done.
    Plus, painting it under the radar from the wifey is an accomplishment....again, Fist pump for sure.
    Cheers
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0603171202_HDR (1).jpg  

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by penna shooter View Post
    I'm a fan of your custom work....Congrats..Well done.
    Plus, painting it under the radar from the wifey is an accomplishment....again, Fist pump for sure.
    Cheers
    Lol! Thanks a lot. She kept asking me if I smelled anything in the house the day I painted it. I had to lie with a straight face and say, not at all.

Man, that looks very focking nice. Good Job !

Looks really good! I like it...I love the web look. Umm....you're a better man than I....no way I woulda gotten by with that..momma woulda hung me lol
    Scooter

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozella View Post
    For the same reason as checkering a wooden stock, to get a grip. It may not be the best idea for a bag gun but when hunting the last thing you want is 'ol Besty slip'n and slide'n around in your paws. Webbing and or a dimpled finish unless they're coated with enough clear to make them smooth as glass provide as much or more non slip grip area than checkering.

A few I've done in my collection....

Why did I paint it blue w/ black web? ? Cause I felt like it!
    ...and one I did for this young lady! She picked the color, I added the white spider to fancy it up a bit.

Bill

I like the webbing. Great work guys.

Basic Member
    Nice looking job !! Thinking about doing my rifle now !!

The webbing is a nice way to add some additional texture to a stock for added grip/traction without delving into checkering, stippling, or skateboard tape.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain