Thread: Trophy Hunter 11/111 Nikon Scope - Buckmaster or Prostaff, neither

Basic Member

Trophy Hunter 11/111 Nikon Scope - Buckmaster or Prostaff, neither

Does anyone know which Nikon scope comes on the Trophy Hunters?

I have heard some say it is the buckmaster and other that it is the Prostaff.
    I would expect it to be the Buckmaster giving the price/value point.

Team Savage
    Mine have all looked to be a bare bones Prostaff.

Buckmaster II, bdc...3x9x40mm is the one I saw at Fields and Streams...
    Perpetual Optimism is a force Multiplier....

They are prostaff’s to my knowledge. Without the branding, and likely a few other small differences to cut costs. Not a bad scope for a package deal.

http://spoton.nikonsportoptics.com/s...poton.html#:10

if you notice they are listed separately from everything else. Although I think they are a pro staff.

Basic Member
    They are special run for this package deal. Essentially the same as Buckmaster II. Nikon's BDC reticle and Spot On work great with this hunting package and I have seen some excellent out of the box accuracy.

Here it is on the Nikon website

http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/n...matte-bdc.html

The scope I got on my Trophy Hunter XP was a Nikon 3-90x40. Not a Prostaff. Different outer diameters eye & obj from the Prostaff 3-9x40AO (2011 series) that I already owned. I think it is the same Nikon that Cabelas offers as a "Nikon" with no model name. It doesn't have the lift-n-lock windage & elevation turrets of either the Buckmaster or Prostaff. Simple coin slots.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/NIKON....uts?slotId=13

It's not Nitrogen filled and doesn't have the adjustable objective (though it can be adjusted like most by turning the rear bell). If you go to the Nikon Spot On site it is listed by itself between the INLINE XP and the P-223 as just "Nikon 3-9x40 BDC"

I pulled off the aluminum rings and swapped the scope with my .223 single shot (where the Prostaff was).

BUT - regarding Nikon. I had a pair of Nikon OceanPro binoculars I bought around 1985. At some point the internal light for the compass stopped working but I seldom navigate at night anymore so I wasn't too worried. But two years ago the rubber on the eyecups disintegrated. I sent them back asking for new eyecups and to see if the light could be repaired. They sent me back a brand new pair at no charge! I'm a Nikon fan.
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

Basic Member
    Stump, Greeat to hear Nikon took such good care of you with your OceanPro's. I wanted a pair when they first came out but couldn't swing the $.
    About the scope on the Savage rifle package, all nikon scopes are Nitrogen filled to protect aginst fogging. They are all built tot he same tough standards as all of Nikon's scopes. Just because they are less expensive doesn't mean they won't hold up to tough recoil or hunting situation's. Rest assured, if something does happen to your scope it is covered under Nikon's No Fault Warranty. I would definitely say this scope is more like the Buckmaster II then Nikon's regular PROSTAFF. I hope this helps?

It's not mentioned (Nitrogen) though it is for every other model (Slug, Buckmaster, Prostaff. Monarch).

It actually looks to be a "good enough" scope, but not as good as my Prostaff model. It will certainly find use on my .223 - but that leads an easy life and dosn't get out in the rain and snow that my deer rifle will be expected to suffer through.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpkiller View Post
    It's not mentioned (Nitrogen) though it is for every other model (Slug, Buckmaster, Prostaff. Monarch).

It actually looks to be a "good enough" scope, but not as good as my Prostaff model. It will certainly find use on my .223 - but that leads an easy life and dosn't get out in the rain and snow that my deer rifle will be expected to suffer through.
    Nikon 3-9x40 BDC

That's it. No model beyond that. I bought the Bushnell DOA and was really surprised by the scope. I didn't keep it 6 hours before selling it, but was impressed with it none the less.

If you're looking at package rifles, Savage is coming out with a new Model 110 Engage XP that will have a Bushnell Engage 3-9x40mm on it.

"Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Anyone know what size Butler Creek caps to use on the nikons?

The XP package Nikon 3-9X40 I received works with a 10-11 Eyepiece and 25,26,27 Ocular

(My Prostaff Nikon 3-9X40 takes a 16,17,18 Eyepiece and a 30,31 Ocular).