Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Axis pillar bedding

Basic Member

Axis pillar bedding

Anybody only pillar bed their Axis and leave the action free floated? Not bedded so to speak? If so, how’s it doing and do you plan to leave it that way? Thanks, Matt

Basic Member
    I only tend to bed the front lug anyway, and just doing that is so easy I don't see the point of not doing it. But bedding the entire thing is a pain...

Basic Member
    I’ve never done either one but bedding the action sure sounds like it can be more tedious for sure. From what I have read just bedding the pillars on the Axis helps more than anything. Bedding the action also only gains you a minuscule amount of accuracy. But I’m a far, far cry from any kind of expert on the subject. Or even knowledgeable for that matter. Just reading and learning what I can.

Basic Member
    If it's shooting as well as you need i wouldn't bother. A poor glass bedding job is worse than if you'd left it alone.

Sent from my LGUS997 using Tapatalk

Saw a few You tube Vids on this...Good luck
    Perpetual Optimism is a force Multiplier....

Basic Member
    Not that interested in bedding the action. If the pillars will suffice that’s all I’m interested in. Those videos didn’t look much fun.

I used lamp rod to piller bed my boyds pro varmint I used to hand drill and ended up having to fill a little more then if I used a drill press still came out good and I am satisfied with the results

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ktmracer358 View Post
    I used lamp rod to piller bed my boyds pro varmint I used to hand drill and ended up having to fill a little more then if I used a drill press still came out good and I am satisfied with the results

No plans to bed the action as well?

Quote Originally Posted by chewy1010 View Post
    No plans to bed the action as well?
    Not at this point the rifle is currently forsale

Basic Member
    Are there any good articles on this site for pillar bedding?

https://youtu.be/UK3g81i6-so

Try this for pillar bedding

Basic Member
    I'm glad that guy has a channel.

Quote Originally Posted by ktmracer358 View Post
    https://youtu.be/UK3g81i6-so

Try this for pillar bedding

Very good vid. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks I have a YouTube problem lol you can find almost anything on there.

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Yeah, you can find almost anything on utube (never could figure out why youtube isn't shortened to utube !)...., but just because it's on youtube doesn't mean it's true, or accurate. I once watched this kid work on a Stihl chainsaw and he's talking about using all these sae size wrenches. Whoa man, Stihl has probably been metric ever since Stihl began. It just so happens there are some sizes which are very close, but they are two different entities.

Ok guys,

I did pillar and glass bed my action on my Axis 22-250. I have the Prairie Hunter (Boyds) on mine. doing the Pillars is the easy part of the job. I also used the above YouTube from (Social Regressive). The guy did a great job on the instructional parts of the video and they worked well. BTW, Social's Father in law is a retired gunsmith. That's how he knows all this stuff.

With that being said, Bedding the action is an entirely different and an extreme PITA. Use the playdo and tape just as he advised and disassemble the trigger mechanism at the rear of the action before bedding.
    I pillar bedded first, (trying not to have to bed the action) and that worked for a little while... But as the stock got broken in, it started to develop horizontal stringing. 10 shots it would be spot on, but then it would move an inch right and stay there until barrel was cold again. I didn't like that, so the glass bedding was the next step.

WARNING: did I say it is a major PITA?

Quote Originally Posted by SageRat Shooter View Post
    Ok guys,

I did pillar and glass bed my action on my Axis 22-250. I have the Prairie Hunter (Boyds) on mine. doing the Pillars is the easy part of the job. I also used the above YouTube from (Social Regressive). The guy did a great job on the instructional parts of the video and they worked well. BTW, Social's Father in law is a retired gunsmith. That's how he knows all this stuff.

With that being said, Bedding the action is an entirely different and an extreme PITA. Use the playdo and tape just as he advised and disassemble the trigger mechanism at the rear of the action before bedding.
    I pillar bedded first, (trying not to have to bed the action) and that worked for a little while... But as the stock got broken in, it started to develop horizontal stringing. 10 shots it would be spot on, but then it would move an inch right and stay there until barrel was cold again. I didn't like that, so the glass bedding was the next step.

WARNING: did I say it is a major PITA?
    I agree, the video is well done. My stock should arrive today. I'll take your word for it and forego bedding the action. If I'm reading you right, bedding the action is somewhat of a challenge? Heck, I'm half afraid that I'll screw something up bedding the pillars.

Basic Member
    Gunny,
    Let me know how that works out for you! Just when I had myself convinced that I could do both if need be, Sagerat comes in and rains all on my parade! I'm with you though. I think pillars first. Get that confidence up. Then maybe try the action. It seems like the pillars might need a small saddle sanded into them to match the contour of the action. Let me know if that's the case. Thanks, Matt

Gunny,
    Let me know how that works out for you! Just when I had myself convinced that I could do both if need be, Sagerat comes in and rains all on my parade! I'm with you though. I think pillars first. Get that confidence up. Then maybe try the action. It seems like the pillars might need a small saddle sanded into them to match the contour of the action. Let me know if that's the case. Thanks, Matt
    Sorry fellas, I didn't mean to "Rain on your parade", but just wanted ya'll to be a little more informed than I was, when I decided to go down this road you're on. I didn't know a dang thing about working on guns when I did mine. I watched the video above like ya'll and the additional one where he discovers he needed to take the trigger assembly off before he did the bedding, so he had to start over.

I, like you, decided to try the pillars first, which wasn't that difficult with the right tools (drill press and a good bit). I had my dad help me with it, as he's been working on his own guns for as long as I've been alive.

Bottom line.... The Axis is a good rifle to try and learn what you're doing as far as working on a rifle. It's cheap and if you mess it up, your not out that much $$$. I got pretty far down the rabbit hole and even threw a CBI math grade barrel on it. She'll put 5 in a nickel @ 100 yards now.

I'll never be able to sell it for even close to what I've got into it, but the lessons I leaned were priceless.

Basic Member
    Come on man! You know o was joking. It’s all in fun and games and I/we appreciate the info. Cheap or not I still don’t want to have to sit and wait on the stock to get here only to have the frustration of screwing it up. I appreciate it. Matt

Come on man! You know o was joking. It’s all in fun and games and I/we appreciate the info. Cheap or not I still don’t want to have to sit and wait on the stock to get here only to have the frustration of screwing it up. I appreciate it. Matt

No worries man... I knew what you meant...

I'm sure it helps, but the "lamp rod" tubes are more what I would call bushings than pillars. They may help keep the action-bolts from collapsing the stock; but they aren't large enough to support the action. You can countersink the bolt holes from the action down to almost the surface at the bolt heads and then use mold release wax on the bolts with the smaller "pillars" in place and the epoxy will form it's own pillars in the stock. PS - Use Brownells Acraglas (or similar) for bedding epoxy and not a "soft" epoxy.

There's a good video on the Brownell's site as well.

https://shop.brownells.com/gunsmith-...SABEgIi7PD_BwE
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

I just used .5" long steel spacer (front action screw) and a 1" long steel spacer (rear action screw) that you can get at any hardware store. They were the same diameter that Social used on his (I think it was 3/8 or 1/4 inch) I got mine a Lowes... Had to rough up the outside of them so the epoxy would have something to hold onto, and had to take off about a 1/8" maybe less on the rear spacer.

It worked perfectly IMO, and I've done it on both my 22-250 and my 260 Rem.

Well, my stock came in yesterday. I installed the M*Carbo trigger spring kit and put everything together. My next challenge is replacing the scope that came with the rifle with a Bushnell Banner Dusk & Dawn 4-12×40 scope. I had to order a one piece Weaver base (48347). The two piece bases are too far apart to mount it. Also had to order a metal trigger guard.

I'm still pretty leery about pillar bedding the thing. The truth is that I'm not a good enough shot for it to make a difference. I don't plan on thousand yard competition shooting. I just want to make the occasional coyote very dead. Maybe later.

You guys have been a lot of help and I really appreciate you all.

Worse case you get to try it as is and if you change your mind later you can compare before and after to see if it helped.

Like working up a good reload - change one thing at a time.
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast