Thread: Target vs. Varmint action

Basic Member

Target vs. Varmint action

Looking at NSS actions and curious if both these actions are S.S.? Just from searches I am understanding that the target is a single feed where as the varmint is 4+1 capacity either blind mag or DM?

Also if the varmint is blued action is it the same as a Model 12 FV?

Just Trying to understand all that is available...
    Thanks DWD

Basic Member
    The Savage PTA "target" action uses large shank barrels. The action that you are calling a varmint action, such as the model 12FV everyone is building off of, uses a small shank barrel. Also, like you mentioned, the target action is a single feed. Now, you can get the Savage Model 12 LRP which has a target action that uses a large shank barrel and has the 4 + 1 capacity.. I can't recall if that model has bottom metal or a bling mag... Hope this helps...

Single shot or repeater and the small vs top loading ejection port are two other considerations. The Varmint action is a top loading repeater. The Target actions are single load small port single feed with no mag port. the LRPV is a varmint rifle that uses a Target action. The LRP is a repeater(meaning it has a mag port on the bottom) Target action with a small port. With a little study, you can learn to identify the features of each variant using visual cues. Top or bottom release. DBM, Blind mag or hinged floor plate. Target action or repeater.

Jim has been benevolent enough to post many recent years of Savage product catalogs on this forum. If your looking for something different than what NSS offers, this can be very beneficial. The new models can be viewed on Savage's web site.

Basic Member
    Thanks again! Trying to take as much in as quickly as possible lots to read. Looking at the FV chambered in .223 with the intentions of getting a 20Practical later on. This will be for paper and varmints with the hope of a PD hunt in the future.

I am assuming I can get a pre-fit barrel in 20P regardless if its a small or large shank? Really doesn't bother me if its a single or repeater.