Thread: Savage 110E bolt question.

Basic Member

Savage 110E bolt question.

I modified this rifle a few years back with a SAV2 trigger @ 2.5lbs. The gun shoots 1/2 MOA and is a great hunting rifle. However, I was curious if I am able to swap the bolt out with a newer style that doesn't come up so much. (Trying to keep it cheap as I am not making this a tactical or long range gun). Instead of having to lift the bolt handle 90 degrees, is there a way to get a 60-70 degree bolt that works with this action? Rifle is chambered in 30-06 if that matters. The bolt works just fine, but it feels slopping in the action and requires it to be lifted really high before clearing a round. Sorry for not knowing the terminology of the bolt. I have always just called them a short throw bolt.

I assume I would need a different action with a matching bolt to do what I want, but figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Thanks in advance.

90 degree action will always cycle with a 90 degree bolt throw. No matter what bolt or handle you come up with.

Sorry for the bad news.

You would need to switch to a gun with a 3-lug 60 deg. design...

1. Weatherby Mark V (55 deg)
    2. Browning A-Bolt
    3. Browning X-Bolt
    4. T/C Icon & Venture
    5. Badger 2008 (custom)
    6. Sako 85, TRG
    7. Sauer 101, 202
    8. Steyr Scout, SSG, Prohunter
    9. Mauser M12
    10. Ruger American
    11. AI AE
    12. Cooper
    13. Mossberg 800
    14. Remington 788
    15. Remington 770

The Tikka T3 comes in at 70 deg so you could possibly include it as well.

The shorter bolt lift isn't a free lunch though as the short lift solves one problem but creates another. Since they have shorter and steeper cocking ramp they are harder to cock. Makers solve that problem by lengthening bolt handles (more leverage) or reducing mainspring power.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Good luck...
    Perpetual Optimism is a force Multiplier....

Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post
    You would need to switch to a gun with a 3-lug 60 deg. design...

The shorter bolt lift isn't a free lunch though as the short lift solves one problem but creates another. Since they have shorter and steeper cocking ramp they are harder to cock. Makers solve that problem by lengthening bolt handles (more leverage) or reducing mainspring power.
    Im waiting for someone to incorporate the cocking cam into a bolt shroud, use mechanical advantage of the large radius.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyShackle View Post
    Im waiting for someone to incorporate the cocking cam into a bolt shroud, use mechanical advantage of the large radius.
    There is no mechanical advantage of a larger radius on the cam, the lift and duration are the same.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    There is no mechanical advantage of a larger radius on the cam, the lift and duration are the same.

There’s a first time to be wrong. Simply not true. Larger bearing area and more displaced loading, equivalently reduces friction. Although no advantage for overcoming the firing pin spring.

Any more I almost think the old 1917 enfields with the cock on close is the smoothest functioning and quickest functioning bolt actions.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyShackle View Post
    There’s a first time to be wrong. Simply not true. Larger bearing area and more displaced loading, equivalently reduces friction. Although no advantage for overcoming the firing pin spring.
    Evidently, you haven't thought this through. For a 1.5" lead, you have to lift .375" in 90 degrees of rotation. It makes no difference if the ramp is at a .350" radius or if it's a 3" radius. The only thing that changes is the helical angle. The length of the bolt handle will determine the leverage. In a situation like this, the bearing area would have to remain the same.
    Even on the old style bolts that had a .112" wide ramp, it still takes the same torque effort to cock as it does on the new style undercut bolts that have only .080" wide ramps.
    Trust me....I do have a little experience on this.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Helix angle and efficiency. The size/thickness of the cocking ramp is important also, as are the materials. The physical premise is the same, less friction due to less loading force against the bearing surface. But don’t let me try to dissuade you.

Possibly I didn’t word things well. But the larger radius allows for a better angle on the helix to be achieved through the same amount of rotation of bolt lift.