Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Boyd’s for my Axis

Basic Member

Boyd’s for my Axis

So, I want to buy a Boyd’s stock or stocks for one or both of my Axis rifles. Here’s the problem: I’m shooting a right handed rifle but I shoot left handed. Not a big deal really. Grew up shooting that way and never thought much about it. Shot a Weatherby Mark IV in .257 Weatherby Magnum most of my life growing up. It, of course, has a Monte Carlo stock with a cheek pad for a right handed shooter. Didn’t bother me. Still doesn’t. But, if I’m gonna buy a stock to put on a rifle I would prefer that 1. either it doesn’t have a cheek pad or 2. I can specify which side of the butt stock I want the cheek pad on. Boyd’s doesn’t allow that.
    So, my big over blown story and intro was simply to ask if anyone has ever bought one of Boyd’s stocks and then sanded off the cheek pad? Is that a stupid idea or what? I really, really like their Heritage line in Nutmeg but I can’t get it in a right handed rifle with right side or no cheek pad. Thanks, Matt.

Never done it, but easy enough to do.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Platinum is very similar to the Heritage and has a straight comb.

Basic Member
    The Classic is the one I was looking at actually now that I looked at the site again, but to be honest the Heritage, Classic, Varminter, and maybe one more will do. Almost any except the true benchrest rifles. I’ll check that one out. Must have slipped by. Thanks foxx. Matt
    ETA: The pro varmint, not the varminter. I need to look at the site a little closer before I post next time!

Basic Member
    Hey foxx,
    The Classic and the Platinum seem very similar. The exception being the inlet area on the forend around the barrel on the Classic. But they both appear to have cheek pads, at least in the pics. I know the site says the pics aren’t necessarily representative of the actual stock, but it’s hard to plan on one when you don’t have a good idea of what it’s gonna look like. I’ve called Boyd’s and had to leave a message. Nobody answered and I haven’t gotten a return call.

I also spoke to Savage and they said Boyd’s supplies their Axis factory hardwood stocks. Anybody know how to look one of those up and rather or not they have cheek pads or not? Haven’t seen one in person.

Basic Member
    Keep in mind:

If you want checkering, go with Heritage (rather than Prairie Hunter) or Platinum (rather than Classic). Heritage is basically PH, but much better checkering. Similarly, Platinum is basically Classic, but better checkering. Better because the checkering wraps around the forearm on Heritage and Platinum.

The Axis stock is straight comb, I believe.

Basic Member
    The checkering would be a bonus. Where my problem lies is the cheek pad. I need one that I can either sand off or have none at all. I shoot left handed from a right handed rifle.

Basic Member
    I am also left handed and shoot right handed bolt guns and Boyds stocks.

The Classic and Platinum have a straight comb (no raised comb) and a very slight cheek pad. When shooting left handed, it does not get in the way at all. You don't even know it's there. However, if you want to sand it down so it's the same on both sides, you can certainly do so. I have several and don't see any point in bothering, but that's just me. Boyds also offers a spray-on finish that matches their satin finish.

Basic Member
    Any info on the spray on finish? Available on their site? I emailed them about something similar and they simply suggested a satin lacquer.

Basic Member
    ^^^Yes, it's a German product called "Spruh Konig". It's on the 4th or 5th page of their "Accessories" section.

It's a spray on lacquer.

Basic Member
    I'm very much right handed, but forced to shoot left handed due to an eye injury. I ordered Boyd's classic stock planning on reshaping it. Once it got here it felt better than I figured so I let it. Unless it bothers me when I get it in use, I'll just let it that way so its right when I pass it on to my boys.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    That’s good to know foxx, and itcg I appreciate your input too. foxx, since you have both the classic and the platinum, which one do you prefer, if either and why?

Basic Member
    If you go with checkering, the Platinum is MUCH better than the Classic, but it is $15 more. Checkering only adds $50 to the total cost of the stocks, and they are very well done. Laser cut and sharp.

The Platinum was originally offered as an improved version of the Classic because the forearm is shaped differently to allow a full wrap around checkering pattern. It makes a huge difference, in my opinion.

If you don't opt for the checkering, just go Classic.

Basic Member
    Lots of good info here and I appreciate it a bunch. Looks like the Classic or Platinum. Now I just have decide rather I want any checkering or not. I love checkering and wouldn’t want a fine walnut stock without it. But, I plan on getting the nutmeg laminate so I’m not sure how well it would look on there. May just have to leave it plain.

Basic Member
    I watched a couple of disgruntled YouTube guys mainly complaining about the plastic parts that now come with the Boyd’s stocks. It appears and even states they sell a stainless metal trigger guard on their accessories page and it looked like they had a black one as well but didn’t state rather it was plastic or metal. I would of course prefer the metal. What really concerned me was the plastic mag catch button is now plastic , but seems to be available from an outfit called V 3 Precision. So I guess one of those would be in order too? I’d much rather this thing be a simple drop in affair without a lot of extra parts to buy but I don’t think that’s going to be the case. If anyone knows rather Boyd’s offer these pieces in metal as an upgrade I’d sure like to know it. I may try my hand at pillar bedding while I’m at it and may even attempt a glass bed job. Doesn’t look like too hard a job to me. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. Otherwise thanks for all the help and wish me luck! Thanks, Matt

Basic Member
    Also now looking at the AT-one. Oh boy. Too many choices!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chewy1010 View Post
    I watched a couple of disgruntled YouTube guys mainly complaining about the plastic parts that now come with the Boyd’s stocks. It appears and even states they sell a stainless metal trigger guard on their accessories page and it looked like they had a black one as well but didn’t state rather it was plastic or metal. I would of course prefer the metal. What really concerned me was the plastic mag catch button is now plastic , but seems to be available from an outfit called V 3 Precision. So I guess one of those would be in order too? I’d much rather this thing be a simple drop in affair without a lot of extra parts to buy but I don’t think that’s going to be the case. If anyone knows rather Boyd’s offer these pieces in metal as an upgrade I’d sure like to know it. I may try my hand at pillar bedding while I’m at it and may even attempt a glass bed job. Doesn’t look like too hard a job to me. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. Otherwise thanks for all the help and wish me luck! Thanks, Matt
    Caveat Emptor

YMMV

On the subject of this thread, I don't know if Boyds used hand carved forms with a copy router, or CAD drawings with a CNC Router. If its the latter, they should be able to make an alternate check rest configuration for most of their stocks. I would have paid extra for the option.

Basic Member
    I found another selling a similar product for less.

https://grimstoddesh.wordpress.com/contact/

Basic Member
    Thanks for the link. And as far as the way the stocks are built, I have no idea. The way I understand it though is they either make a particular stock or they don't. From what I can gather it's pretty much impossible to get one configured any differently than what they already offer. I may be wrong. I pretty new at the whole custom stock game. Got lots of good info from foxx on this subject. Hopefully he'll chime in with some more!

error

Quote Originally Posted by chewy1010 View Post
    Boyds site says "***Stainless Steel Metal trigger guards are also available: PN 100662.***" I couldn't find anything on the mag button.

Quote Originally Posted by Mb1500 View Post
    I found another selling a similar product for less.

https://grimstoddesh.wordpress.com/contact/
    Thanks for the link. I just sent them a contact request.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyJC View Post
    Thanks for the link. I just sent them a contact request.
    Do you need the bevel for the mag catch ? I had some made up and could save some money leaving out that cut ?

Basic Member
    It looks like the one in the link is just a little shorter than the one you had made up and doesn't need the bevel. I don't have first hand experience personally as I haven't even bought the stock yet!

Quote Originally Posted by ebgb68 View Post
    Do you need the bevel for the mag catch ? I had some made up and could save some money leaving out that cut ?
    I'm sorry but, I don't understand the question. What's do you mean by bevel? Are you referring to the angled cut on the face where the magazine clip contacts the catch? If so, why is it beveled in the first place if it's not needed. Also, I ordered a Heritage laminate stock from Boyds. Is there any difference in the catch as opposed to wood? Please bear with me. I have zero gunsmithing experience.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast