Thread: 11 FCNS Firing Pin Spring

11 FCNS Firing Pin Spring

Hi-
    Brand new user (today) from southern Oregon. After about 700 rounds through my .308 (fcns) I decided I should probably take a look at and clean the firing pin and internals of the bolt. It started pretty easy and then, as I've done before with other guns, I got carried away and now am wondering if my reassembly is correct. I disassembled the entire bolt w/o problem and was able to reassemble the majority of it too! However, the firing pin spring was giving me fits because of the tension involved in the re-installation of it. The retaining ring on the firing pin side of the assembly prevented me from tightening the the firing pin down all the way under tension, so I compressed the spring and then screwed the pin on until the pin was bottomed out on the threads. Then, with that side tight I tightened the opposite side (the part that houses the cocking lever) until it was bottomed out.

After cocking the gun, the bolt slid into place just fine. Trigger pulled just fine on a snap cap. Is there anything that I did wrong?

Thank you for your feedback.

Ross

Need to check firing pin protrusion. Also the cocking piece should not hit the bolt body when it’s in the fired position.

Thank you. Is there a correct amount of protrusion or do I just fire a primer in a shell and check to ensure the strike looked correct? Thank you again.

~ Ross

Thanks, that and a couple other threads on here were enough for me to feel comfortable with how it all wound up. I was way too long on the protrusion, and was busy trying to design an inexpensive pin protrusion gauge. That thread had a much simpler solution than the one I was going for, thank you. I wound up with a pin protrusion slightly shorter than factory spec I think .050" instead of .055". Thanks for all the help on this thread!

~ Ross

Quote Originally Posted by RustyShackle View Post