Thread: Empty - bolt closes, loaded - bolt won't close

Empty - bolt closes, loaded - bolt won't close

I finally got to the range with the new 6.5 CM in the Boyd's Pro Varmint stock. I took along a fresh box of Fusion 140 grainers to break the gun in a bit. Got the rifle all set up on the new Harris bipod and bore sighted the Vortex Viper 6.5-20x 44 at 50 yards. Now, I am purty darn anxious to see if this Savage 12fv 6.5 CM shoots as accurately as its .223 mate so I chamber a round...or tried to chamber a round. The bolt won't close, grrrrrr.
    The sympathetic range master gave back my money and I went home.
    Using a bore light I could see no blockage. I took off the scope and rail, removed the stock, then cycled the action without a problem. Then, with a round chambered, again I couldn't lower the bolt handle at all. The Fusion rounds all measure within SAAMI specs. I'm thinking the chamber reamer went home early! What do you think?

Sounds like that could be a very real possibility. Otherwise it has a short throat and the bullet is preventing it from being chambered.

Try taking some permanent marker and making the bullet all black chamber it and see if it leaves marks in the permanent marker might have to look close but that will tell you if you're getting the lands for sure.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Sure sounds like improper headspace, whether it's the chamber was cut short or the barrel was installed improperly can't tell without a set of gauges and a barrel wrench. sounds like it needs to go back to savage.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by VAFISH View Post
    Sure sounds like improper headspace, whether it's the chamber was cut short or the barrel was installed improperly can't tell without a set of gauges and a barrel wrench. sounds like it needs to go back to savage.
    +1...have the headspace checked and if incorrect send it back to Savage.

Basic Member
    The gun was proof fired at the factory. How likely is it that the headspace was changed after that?

Might try pulling down one of your rounds and see if the brass will chamber without the bullet. Also contact Savage CS and ask them what might be going on. I'm sure they'd be interested in hearing from you.

Good luck and please keep us updated.
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

I think headspace, as well. You can check for a short throat by sooting up the bullet in the cartridge with a candle and seeing if the soot rubs off when you try and chamber the round.

Have any local shooters or gunsmith with a set of go/no-go dummy cartridges?

Or rent them . . .

http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...Go-quot-gauges

Team Savage

Quote Originally Posted by Texas10 View Post
    The gun was proof fired at the factory. How likely is it that the headspace was changed after that?

Might try pulling down one of your rounds and see if the brass will chamber without the bullet. Also contact Savage CS and ask them what might be going on. I'm sure they'd be interested in hearing from you.

Good luck and please keep us updated.
    ^^^^ Think I'd confirm the factory ammo used meets SAMMI COAL specs then chase headspace concerns.

I had tried bluing up a round and didn't see any scratches or marks after trying to chamber it. I chalked up the rounds shoulders and got chalk transfer to the chamber shoulders after trying to chamber it.
    Then I called Savage Arms customer service and explained and they want me to send it back. That's what I'm doing.

Basic Member
    Sounds like headspace....

Basic Member
    The front action screw is too long. Back it off 1/2 a turn and try it again. By the screw being a smidget too long, it will close on an empty chamber because the bolt will float out of the way enough for it to close. Once a cartridge is there to center up the bolt, it interferes.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    The front action screw is too long. Back it off 1/2 a turn and try it again. By the screw being a smidget too long, it will close on an empty chamber because the bolt will float out of the way enough for it to close. Once a cartridge is there to center up the bolt, it interferes.
    That was my first thought....

I've never seen a Savage rifle with bad headspace...

But I've seen TONS with short freebore that stops rounds from being chambered cause the bullet is trying to go deep into the rifling.

I read the post as he had removed it from the stock with the same issues.

Basic Member
    You can rent a head space gauge for fairly cheap: https://www.reamerrentals.com/searchresults.asp?cat=26
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Basic Member
    The extractor is not snapping over the rim.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    It is time for a headspace check to start with.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zero333 View Post
    I've never seen a Savage rifle with bad headspace...

But I've seen TONS with short freebore that stops rounds from being chambered cause the bullet is trying to go deep into the rifling.
    I have. I bought a 110E from a pawn shop cheap because the extractor was missing. I replaced the extractor and test fired the rifle. Extraction was hard and the case had visible over-expansion. The sights were perfectly aligned at 12 o'clock. Probably a bit of debris was lodged in the chamber when headspace was set at the factory. I had to reset the headspace and remove the sights and plug the screw holes, since the sights were now off to the left.

Basic Member
    The extractor is not snapping over the rim.
    I agree. He should remove the extractor and try to chamber a round.

The wait begins. The 12fv arrived at Savage yesterday. I spoke with Maureen - Customer Service this morning and what a polite lady she is. The rifle is in Receiving and I can expect a 3 week turn-around as it goes thru their process. A plant shutdown has things backed up a bit. I bought the gun online thru Cabela's and made a mistake in not going thru their customer service; 1. they would have sent me a return shipping label, saving me the $47 shipping cost. 2. Cabelas has clout with Savage.

Surprised that you got your range fee refunded. Clark rifles or English pit?
    Had I seen this earlier, we probably could have fixed it here. My first thought reading the OP was extractor.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

English Pit.